VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the first system that I started building for the sole purpose of retro gaming. And after almost a year it "almost" finished! YAY!

First off some specs:

case: Lian-Li PC-7B case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811112099

Motherboard: MSI-6501 Master
http://techreport.com/r.x/mpx-boards/msi-board.jpg

Memory: 4x 512mb Kingston ddr-400 HyperX
http://images.sudhian.com/review/memory/ECC%2 … on/Kingston.jpg

cpu: TWO Amd 2800+ MP processors

Cooling: 1x Thermalright SK6 1x stock intel cooler (big s370 one)
This has been a HUGE hangup for me. more below
Video: 3dFX Voodoo 5 5500 With modified heatsinks.
This was fun. I put a pair of these heatsinks on it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280745410010
They dont quite fit, I had to chop up the fins on one to let it fit, but it cools very well.

40gb boot drive, 100gb iso/game drive
gigabit nic
usb2 card

Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy
This card is the 2nd thorn in what I would consider a "finished" setup.

First off, is cooling. I'm using a 2 cpu board, so NATURALLY both coolers has to be the same. If not, My OCD will NEVER let me rest. That being said. I have three differnt Thermalrights; SK6, SLK900U, and the SP-97. All will fit, but only the SK6 allows for the 2nd heatsink to fit.

So my quandary is this; do I find a 2nd SK6, or a PAIR of something else? I'd like to have a pair of Alpha 8045's but I think they are even more rare than the thermalrights. It seems that everyone just scraps them for the copper, and I don't blame them. I don't think there is a market on ebay for old aftermarket heatsinks. (except for the zalman 7000 series it seems) The temps of the SK6 arent really worth writing home about. In fact, the full load temp is about 50C. The intel heatsink holds its ground at 63C... ICK! I want something "namebrand". for example Thermalright, or Alpha.

2nd issue is this, The sound card. Currently I have the Audigy 1. Its seems to work fine. I get a lot of "noise" with voices in unreal and some random noise in other games, but it may be the fact that this card has been through hell and back, TWICE. So I think there is room for improvement. I have a MX300 card, with a midi board actually, however I was saving that for my voodoo 2 box. I kinda want to go balls deep and get an Audigy2 ZS platinum. I actually had one new and used it FOREVER until the x-fi series. The card died one day when I plugged in headphones (dont ask me how) but I LOVED that card.

TLDR version:

#1:
I need 2 good socket 462 heatsinks, I'd prefer namebrand and ones that mount on the motherboard. MSG me if you have a PAIR for sale. Or if you want to buy the 3 thermalright ones I have.

#2:
Should I use a mx300, audigy 1 or audigy 2 for sound?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vortex 2 would be nice for the games you'll run on a Voodoo5. But the problem is that the 2K/XP drivers are poor when it comes to 3D audio support. Aureal was dead before they got them polished up. I doubt you're planning to run 9x on a dual CPU setup. ;)

I have key members of the Audigy lineup. I really can't tell the cards apart. Audigy 1-4 run the same drivers and have the same capabilities from a gaming perspective. Maybe your Audigy 1 is indeed damaged somehow.

BTW, for Audigy cards on XP-Win7, I like Audigy Support Pack 3.8. No nonsense install that works for all Audigy cards with EMU10K2/2.5 chips.

Another note - I've noticed that EAX behaves differently in the WDM drivers compared to the 9x VXDs. Audigy and SBLive are affected. Some games will sound funky, with weird reverb problems, like Need For Speed 3/4. You really have to use Win9x for best results with the old games.

Reply 2 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the games i'm planning on running on this setup are of the 2000-2002 era. Basically my senior year in high school. Quake 3's and Unreal tournament's performance is PARAMOUNT. Those games DEFINED my "gaming experience" That and Starcraft, but thats for a different machine.

As for the sound, if I use headphones, i have a considerable amount of hiss in the background. Its there with my speakers just not as noticeable. It may just be me, because I have excellent high end hearing. I'm not kidding I can hear the old style tv's laser from 50 feet.

Also, i'll post some "real" pictures once I get this girl FINISHED.

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might want to try out something like a GeForce5-6 instead of the Voodoo5 for UT/Q3. UTGLR is awesome, even better than Glide. It will work even on Radeon 8500 and GeForce 3. Also, Quake3 is OpenGL and Voodoo5 was never the best at that. Just ideas for ya.

But of course Voodoo5 is an authentic y2k experience. My favorite use for a Voodoo5 has turned out to be pre-2k Glide/D3D games and adding on 4X FSAA.

Reply 4 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was the nice thing about the V5, was that you could turn up the AA without a huge performance hit. Even the V4 was capable of 2XAA without a huge hit even though it was still underpowered compared to the GF2MX.

Reply 5 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

My favorite use for a Voodoo5 has turned out to be pre-2k Glide/D3D games and adding on 4X FSAA.

My experience as well. Late 90s/Win98 3D stuff with AA=4x runs very well, even on a fairly modest platform like the P3-800 I have going now. Retro appeal is further enhanced by the original 3dfx UI, and the shocklingly spartan nature of the whole early windows OS/UI experience..

@Luckybob - I'm interested in the mobo - is that a 'universal AGP' slot? I held on to my older boards for fear I'd never be able to fire up the old 3dfx cards, but it looks like you still can even with new parts...

Reply 6 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its a universal slot, but in reality its a 2x/4x slot. As for the motherboard, its quite rare. I've only seen one other MSI brand board, ever. The brand name boards for enthusiasts (Asus, msi, iwill, etc) tend to be relatively rare. The asus board being the least so. However if you dont care about overclocking or any "advanced" options, there are TONS of Tyan brand boards on ebay. Some can be had for a song! Tyan is a GREAT company, but they build servers and workstations for "business" use. Meaning you get no overclocking options or any frills, but the boards are very robust and stable.