VOGONS

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a dual boot Win98 and DOS 6 pc. Could I use the Voodoo3 for everything in Win98 and use the Voodoo3 for 2D and the Voodoo 1 for 3D in pure dos? Would I just not install the voodoo 1 drivers in windows?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hifidelitygaming wrote:

Just out of curiosity is there a must have reason to do that? I thought there was some kind of wrapper program to run DOS GLIDE games in later voodoos...

Some DOS games access the Voodoo card directly, so a Voodoo graphics card must be present (or a Voodoo 2 with certain lines in autoexec.bat). And the wrappers are more likely to degrade performance and introduce bugs, unless they're running on a modern card, since most of them rely on DX7-9 code.

Reply 4 of 8, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So GLIDOS doesn't work? http://www.glidos.net/

Which games require hardware (either voodoo 1, or voodoo 2, or either) then? This is the first i've heard of it. (and adding to my exhaustive file of incompatible older stuff)

Reply 6 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I am using V1/V5 together. I have installed the V1 then the V5 so the drivers in Windows are of v5 type.
If a game is to use V1, I copy the V1 files into the game directory, so the game starts on V1.

With Dos, I copy the Dos drivers there, so the game also starts on V1.

I checked and found that you can even add a V2 as a third card with this system.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 7 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:
Yes, I am using V1/V5 together. I have installed the V1 then the V5 so the drivers in Windows are of v5 type. If a game is to us […]
Show full quote

Yes, I am using V1/V5 together. I have installed the V1 then the V5 so the drivers in Windows are of v5 type.
If a game is to use V1, I copy the V1 files into the game directory, so the game starts on V1.

With Dos, I copy the Dos drivers there, so the game also starts on V1.

I checked and found that you can even add a V2 as a third card with this system.

I don't know... having 3 systems sounds more FUN!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I don't know... having 3 systems sounds more FUN!

Personally I find that maintaining one system takes up enough time already. I have a working 486 stored away, and the parts for a working SS7 in some boxes. I just dismantled a retro-rocket (2000MHz & ISA), because I suddenly didn't need the rocket part any more. The only retro machine I really maintain is a BX based one. Should the Voodoo5 not run a game to my satisfaction, I can stick in a Voodoo1 and have a go. So far, no game came that convinced me to keep the Voodoo1 in all times.

I also have a pair of Creative Labs Voodoo² 12MB here, but I never use them. If someone is making a good offer, I would give them up actually. (to regret it later, of course)

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.