VOGONS

Voodoo 5500 cooling

Topic actions

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the stock cooling good enough? The heatsinks always seemed a little too small to me, and the "paste", if you can call it that, looks like super glue.

Anyone modified the stock cooling on theirs? Any notes to share? And is it worth the hassle and risk?

They're quite pricey so I wouldn't like to fubar one.

Reply 1 of 35, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought there was a thread around here about putting them in a freezer to help bust the glue.

edit - here's what i was thinking of:
Matching CPUs with Voodoo cards

Last edited by ratfink on 2012-04-28, 12:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 35, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, 3dfx chips are hot by default.

I did this:
I removed the two small fans (too loud) and replaced them with one 12 or 14 inch fan. I used a large cable binder to fix the fan on the card, running the binder round the long side of the card. Then I used hot glue to fix the fan to the cable binder. The fan is too big, so you can either close the direct blow-through path or (thats what I did), use some plastic packaging to turn the airflow by 90° so it passes over the back of the card.
So far, it works ok.

To remove the heatsinks, I read to use a freezer and a screwdriver as lever. I passed that option...

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 3 of 35, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need to put something under the screwdriver like an old credit-card. Otherwise you might damage the components on the pcb. And putting it in the freezer is not really neccessary. I've never had problems doing it without that step, just be carefull.

Also, you can not passively cool a V4/V5 unless you have proper airflow in your case. I didn't and my V5 would lock up without fans in 3D even though it had bigger heatsinks (Zalman ZM-NB32's).

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 4 of 35, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used the freezer trick. Cleaned off chips with Laquer thinner and install some MX-2 and a couple of NB heatsinks from socket A boards. Attached a 90mm fan across both heatsinks with some 6lb test fishing wire 😀

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 35, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check this out:
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl … =1231551864/8#8

I had to do a custom cooling for my card, since the card I bought came without any heat spreaders. But I can also confirm the 'freezer' trick - it works very fine and the chance to do damage to the card practically doesnt exist.

Reply 8 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It certainly would have been nice if 3dfx had used slightly beefier heatsinks. There's not much surface area there. But my 80x15mm fan on 5v has worked fine. I set this up years ago.

voodoo580mm.th.jpg

Reply 9 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
It certainly would have been nice if 3dfx had used slightly beefier heatsinks. There's not much surface area there. But my 80x15 […]
Show full quote

It certainly would have been nice if 3dfx had used slightly beefier heatsinks. There's not much surface area there. But my 80x15mm fan on 5v has worked fine. I set this up years ago.

voodoo580mm.th.jpg

Wait a minute. Aren't you the one who has a thing for super quiet video cards? That massive fan can't be all that quiet.

Reply 10 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Wait a minute. Aren't you the one who has a thing for super quiet video cards? That massive fan can't be all that quiet.

As I said, it's on 5v. There's nothing to hear.

Reply 11 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
sliderider wrote:

As I said, it's on 5v. There's nothing to hear.

What's the voltage got to do with it? It's the fan blades beating against the air that makes the noise and that's going to happen regardless of how much power it draws.

Reply 12 of 35, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lower voltage makes it turn slower.

My main tip for quiet fans is decoupling them with rubber things because vibrations are often the main source of noise.

Larger fans usually are quieter compared to little squirrel fans. This is because they can spin a lot slower and push more air.

Reply 13 of 35, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
It certainly would have been nice if 3dfx had used slightly beefier heatsinks. There's not much surface area there. But my 80x15 […]
Show full quote

voodoo580mm.th.jpg

I cool mine the same way. Just that I have a much larger fan that covers both heatsinks. Excess air is directed towards the back of the card. I think I even have it set at 12V, since it is a slow running case fan.

What size attachments does this forum allow?

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 14 of 35, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That single large fan idea looks good. I've already lost one 5500, but I dunno whether it's to heat or general old age. I'm thinking of getting maybe one of those pci slot fan blower thingys and putting that right under the card, or make one myself out of 2-3 80mm fans.

Reply 16 of 35, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently I am just using the stock fans, and they seem to do the job fine, however the case I am using has nice fans and good airflow. The last time I had a pci Voodoo 5 I did however swap the fans out using special fan adapter plates:

Picture113-1.jpg

Picture112-1.jpg

Picture111-1.jpg

You can purchase the plates on ebay for a few bucks last time I checked. They were offered in different colors.

Reply 19 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:
Currently I am just using the stock fans, and they seem to do the job fine, however the case I am using has nice fans and good a […]
Show full quote

Currently I am just using the stock fans, and they seem to do the job fine, however the case I am using has nice fans and good airflow. The last time I had a pci Voodoo 5 I did however swap the fans out using special fan adapter plates:

Picture113-1.jpg

Picture112-1.jpg

Picture111-1.jpg

You can purchase the plates on ebay for a few bucks last time I checked. They were offered in different colors.

Stock fans? Those fans aren't stock with any V5 I have ever seen, and I own a few.

Here's a pic of the stock fans 3DFX included. They are much smaller than the fans shown on yours and don't stand off as far from the board.

V5onblack.jpg