VOGONS

MechWarrior 2 | 3D card conversion files

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've re-uploaded the files needed to convert between the various 3D accelerated versions of Mechwarrior 2. These will convert any of the card-specific versions or the Win95/Pentium version. Just overwrite the stock files of your version with the files in one of these archives.

I'm not sure if they will work with the Titanium edition (D3D).

More info about this conversion process-
http://www.calpoly.edu/~mkou/mw2_conversion.html

Downloads-
3Dfx Voodoo Graphics Edition
ATI 3D Rage Edition
PowerVR PCX2 Edition
S3 Virge Edition

If anyone has the Matrox Mystique version, please share your files!

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-05-22, 20:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice Swaaye! Thanks so much for sharing.

I have the full bundle of Mystique OEM games on my way from Germany (Ebay ftw). Mechwarrior 2 included. Will share it when I get it.

I have also bought myself a Game broadcaster HD capture card, so expect to see some Mystique, S3, ATI 3D Rage and Voodoo videos coming 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 66, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only version that is worth archiving is the 3Dfx version. Thanks to glide wrapper, dgVoodoo especially, and several patching methods available to run the game in WinXP/Vista/Win7, the game runs flawlessly on state-of-the-art CPU/GPU as of today. Imagine the absolute fluidness during intense mech battles, it was never achieveable back in the time the game was released.

Reply 3 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not agree that the only version worth archiving is the 3dfx version. Yes it might the best one seen from a gameplay perspective, but those of us who has old graphics cards laying around and want to run software specially tailored for them are interested in these versions.

Here are the mystique files. I have no way of testing them at the current moment due to moving, so swaaye, I hope you got the card:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jsqw7soxfc68amj

Last edited by vetz on 2015-06-03, 05:22. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4 of 66, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I tested the PowerVR conversion files I noticed lasr explosions stick for a few frames longer. I didn't see this in your video swaaye. Additional textures didn't get packed?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 66, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

While I tested the PowerVR conversion files I noticed lasr explosions stick for a few frames longer. I didn't see this in your video swaaye. Additional textures didn't get packed?

These are the files I used for any videos I did. The archives for Virge, S3D and Rage were put together by forum member YCH in this thread.

Reply 7 of 66, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for posting these; people keep emailing me about these (since the links that I have are broken)... next time I'll just redirect them to this thread. 😀

BTW, the new site is located here (that link you posted above may stay active for only a couple more months).
http://sites.google.com/site/martinsguistuff/ … lerated-version

Let me know if this method also works under 64-bit Windoze 7, since I haven't touched that article (or the game itself) in ages now.

kolano wrote:

Still wishing there was a DOS based 3d update, rather than being forced into Windows.

As far back as I remember, these 3D-accelerated releases were Win-only.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 8 of 66, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 2 different 3dfx ones, the orchid one and the diamond monster one. I also have the retail 1.0 and 1.1 versions, and the microsoft sidewinder version, in addition to the ones you have already. Would any of these files be useful? Just tell me which files are needed and I'll pack them up.

Reply 10 of 66, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

I noticed one of the Voodoo 2 Geocities links on the page mentioned in the OP is no longer available. Here's the archived text from it:
--------------old page stuff quoted now------------------------------------------

(1) First you will need Voodoo 1 drivers. You can download the drivers for the Diamond Monster 3D, from Diamond MM's FTP here: ftp://ftp.diamondmm.com/pub/display/monster/m … r3d/m3d1600.exe You must extract the following two files from the drivers and place them into the Mech 2 directory (or whatever your main installation folder is):

glide.dll
sst1init.dll

(2) You need to create a batch file (*.BAT) called "mech2.bat" (or "whatever-name-you-want.bat") in your Mech2 directory. If you're unfamiliar with how to do this, you can just open up a blank text (*.TXT) document in Notepad, then copy and paste the following information into it and save it as to the *.BAT file. It should contain the following lines:

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
set SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
set SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
set FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=3
mech2.exe

(3) Double-click on the *.BAT file you created to start the game. You can also create a shortcut to the *.BAT file you created and give it an icon if you wish. You might want to go into the shortcut's properties and put a check into the "Close on Exit" box on the Program Tab, so when you play you won't have to close the box that the batch file creates everytime you play.

Explanation: The problem is due to the game using an early version of the glide.dll (one that is lower than 2.1), that predates and is not supported by Voodoo 2 cards. The combination of variables in the batch file makes the game think it's running on a Voodoo 1 card.

-------------end old stuff--------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 11 of 66, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PS: That Diamond drivers link of course, will probably no longer work. I just cut and pasted.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 19 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PowerVR files posted here are not the PCX2 version, but PCX1. How can I tell? No bilinear filtering and the files are dated september 1996.

I know there are videos from the PCX2 version on Youtube, so please post those files if possible 😀