VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What would you guys consider a fair price for these two items?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 17, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Completed ebay auctions.

I'd guess ~$75-$100 each. Unless you get a bid war up to $150+

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okey. There are a SCB-55 as part of a whole computer for sale on a local version of Ebay. I'm not interested in the whole computer (socket a with duron 800), which he wants a whopping 100 dollars for. I've offered the seller 35 dollars for the SCB-55 only to which the only reply I got was "No 😀". I then replied again telling how the card works and that almost nobody will know how to use that card unless you know what it is. The seller is trying to sell the machine as a something the kids can have on their room, which will be a complete waste of that daugthercard 🙁. In the same mail I also increased my offer to 45 dollars which he only reply was: "No thanks 😀". I just don't get this seller. Only "no" with a smiley?. A normal person would atleast explain why he wouldnt want to make a deal or atleast counter-offer. He probably thinks that taking out that part will ruin the whole computer for further sale (which I tried to explain in vain). His loss.

I'm not gonna offer more as the SC-55mkII goes for around 60-70 dollars on the same site, and tbh I rather prefer a SC-55mkII than a SCB-55 just because it's more flexible to move around on different computers and can also be used on Windows 7.

Last edited by vetz on 2012-05-25, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's a no to tell you he won't do it and a smiley to say "nice try" 😀
Probably he's someone who doesn't want to change his original offer. Changing the configuration mid-auction probably feels like cheating and stopping the auction is only possible when no one bid on it yet.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forgot to mention it's more like craigslist kind of site, not auction. He can change the ad as much as he wants as far as I know. The ad has been there for over three weeks so I would start to think he would become a bit interested in alternatives (as they only run for 30 days). His price for the whole machine is way too high imo and there are lots of cheaper almost free alternatives on the site.

Last edited by vetz on 2012-05-24, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

k, I only read ebay and overlooked the other part (local version of).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 17, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh... fun fact, that site is actually an 'ebay company'.

(ebay classified group, or "Et ebay selskab" as they write themselves, mouseover tiny logo bottom left)

I guess that is what you meant by local version (?).

As for price, if you don't want to spend more than USD $45, I think you will have to wait a loong time. As these things do no longer come up often (ebay, any country), and usually go for more money. 🤑 😵

Almost a year since last time I saw one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View … cvip=true&rt=nc

Makes those 625kr look like a bargain, or...? 😉

But if the SC-55 goes for only $60!, I'd buy that pronto !
Even on ebay these are getting far between these days, and ususally cost from $100 and up.

Reply 7 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣, how did you find out? I never mentioned any country.

I would be willing to go higher, but not when I get replies like that. Also as I said, I'll rather get a SC-55 than a SCB-55. Other than the mentioned benefits of the SC-55 and it being cheaper, I don't want to buy a whole computer and drive across half the country to pick it up as the seller wanted a pickup on the whole thing (it comes with monitor, keyboard and mouse).

Reply 8 of 17, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my friend sold me a scb-55 cheap(abour $30 usd) last year and it worked, but a few months later i accidently dropped it on the ground and broke a standing component(which appears to be a coil)! now i got to spend years to find another one 😠

Reply 9 of 17, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

🤣, how did you find out? I never mentioned any country

He read your earlier post where you talked about something arriving in Norway.

Reply 10 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sune Salminen wrote:
vetz wrote:

🤣, how did you find out? I never mentioned any country

He read your earlier post where you talked about something arriving in Norway.

It's true I am from Norway, but I don't live there atm. Though I am in the process of moving back 😉

and you guys remember too much haha

Reply 11 of 17, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:

my friend sold me a scb-55 cheap(abour $30 usd) last year and it worked, but a few months later i accidently dropped it on the ground and broke a standing component(which appears to be a coil)! now i got to spend years to find another one 😠

I wonder if you're referring to one of the line filters, as pictured below? It's a pretty easy fix, if so. I used a commonly-found TDK ACF451832-103-TD01 for this particular repair.

SCB_FILT_S.jpg

Reply 12 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just received a SCB-55 in a damaged state.
It needs three of these line filters, but I haven't found them for sale. Any tips on where to source them?

Are they essential or can one bridge them and be done with it?

Attachments

• IMG_9291s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9291s.jpg
    File size
    143.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SCB-55 in a damaged state.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 17, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see there are still three of these filters left. Can you read any numbers or other markings on them?

edit:
I suppose these are only there to filter the RF switching noise from the PSU? Then if your PSU is any good you can probably replace them with wire and not notice any difference.

Reply 14 of 17, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Just received a SCB-55 in a damaged state.
It needs three of these line filters, but I haven't found them for sale. Any tips on where to source them?

This was discussed on the QuestStudios forum a handful of times. While you can use wire in place of the filters, as jwt27 suggests, you can also search for the part number I mentioned in the post right above your own, which will return hits for several online retailers, including a Netherlands branch of Digi-Key... 🙄

Reply 15 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@jwt27.
They read 'F103'.

@Cloudschatze
Thanks, yes I tried your reference number earlier this evening, I remember that site too but recall I had to order at least a 1000 pieces, but on second look can order 1. much better, will try to order tomorrow.

Edit: darn E 18,- shipping cost for 10 of these small items.

Reply 16 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bridged the contacts with wire, and am satisfied with the sound quality. Cannot perceive any lack of filtering.
The SCB-55 was E 25 ex shipping together with a SB16 (CT2290+DSP), which is nice. For now I am not in the mood to invest another 23, maybe another time.