VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had no luck enabling a pci USB2 card on my W98se build [based on an Abit AV6 mobo with USB1.1]. I've tried an IOgear with NEC drivers, a Rosewill and a Syba both with the VIA drivers. All three advertise W98se compatibility.

The rig's onboard USB ports work fine and I use flash drives and external HDs. I installed IE6 [core only], nUSB33, and tried both the basic enhancement/fixes of the Unofficial SPs 2.1a and 3.

I've heard these cards are hard to pair with one's system, can anyone recommend a brand/product number that might work for me?

EDIT: Thread title should read W98se not 95....

EDIT 2: Success. Went back to the IOGear GIC220U 2-port. Installed over pretty driver clean W98se/unofficialSP21a [fixes/tweaks only] SP3 [IE6 core only], and nUSB33e. Also had the VIA Hyperion 4-in1 chipset drivers installed.. It's mad black art...

Last edited by tincup on 2012-06-05, 01:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't have any problems getting a generic ALi chipset USB 2.0/firewire card working under 98SE. I also have a Radio Shack USB 2.0/firewire combo card with the VIA chips. I haven't tried it under 98SE though. Are the drivers installing, or are USB devices just not being detected?

Reply 2 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

9 times out of 10 usb 2.0 will not work properly on windows 98. Its just a limitation of the OS. Its like running usb on windows 95. USB support didn't get "good" until windows 2000.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well W98se.... 3 cards and various things have happened.
- apparent complete installations; good DevMgr, but BSOD when actually using a plugged in external HD
- no response to plugging in HD, no folder displayed in explorer.
- complicated driver installation issues - not finding drivers, DevMgr warnings etc. etc.

With the VIA set's I installed the VIA USB2 update as well as the latest mobo chipset drivers for the old VA6, a Hyperion 4-in-1. The IOGear/NEC kit apparently installed quickly and correctly, but I got a BSOD trying to use it.

Reply 4 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@luckybob: your are right sir. I'm in for 3 cards to date, so it looks like I have 6 more to go. W95 I count myself lucky to have USB1.1 fully operational - a lite IE4 core install, USBsupp/USBupd/USBflash update did the trick...

Reply 5 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

then you are a more brave man than I am. I wont even attempt to use usb on 95 or nt4. Just not worth the aggravation. In 98, as long as I can use a usb mouse and maybe a usb joystick, i'll consider it a success.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer the NEC cards. Currently use a 4+1 from ebay. It works great in Win98SE. I do not enable motherboard USB ports at same time (disabled in bios). Also use the NUSB3.3 files.

This looks like the one I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-480mb-PCi- … =item25712a594b

Don't expect to get External USB HDD's to work. Successfully used Gamepads and Flash drives up to 16GB.

Edit, here are some Drivers that I have. Maybe they can help you out. I think I just use the one that is in folder "driver".

Attachments

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 7 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard the NEC cards are more forgiving/compatible, which is why I thougt the IOGear/NEC would do the trick after wasting time on the others. I have an NEC USB3 card on my XP rig. But W9x... no. Even after the card seemed to install clean, BSOD in use. But it's okay, I was only hoping a Vogons sage would throw down a product that gets it done.. So I pull HDs and back them up on my main rig. No biggie.

Reply 9 of 13, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or you could install nusb because it comes with USB2.0 support http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUS
and then don't have to worry about 3rd party drivers.

Oh and NT4 is super easy to get usb working on, 95 not so much i never really bothered trying that

Reply 10 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, it's a pci USB2 card I need, not a mobo that supports it. and Awergh, I have tried nUSB33 in various permutations. After 3 or 4 cards I'mlooking for the "easy" solution haha, ie, someone with my board and the name of the usb card that works!

Reply 11 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I kept at it for a couple of evenings - reloading a fresh W98se image and trying combination after combination of drivers and install sequences. Result = 0. Best I can seem to do with the 3 pce USB2 cards and the mass of drivers, IE6 core, and a coupe of Unofficial SPs, is to get everything running smooth in USB1.1 - something I accomplished last week 🤣.

I found a Koutech card in the parts bin - nice since it has front panel headers [the Abit VA6 has none]. So the score of failed cards is now up to 4. I know th Abit mobo is a bit of an antique at this point, If I can score another USB2 card for cheap I give it another shot. For now I'm done...

Reply 12 of 13, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As someone who owned a VA6, do what you can and burn that board. The VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipset is horrible and slow! The revised 133A fixed a lot of problems.

Reply 13 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aw NJR I kinda like the little fella! VA6 served me well during the slot 1 days, oC C300A @ 450 and all. It still runs fine, and if the only fault I have come up with yet is that it balks at USB2, as many old W98 rigs do, I'm not ready to part with it yet.

My other V5500 board is a BCM GT133KT/Athlon 1100. I'd go with it but the VA6 has *less* retro compatibility issues believe it or not.

One of the virtues of retro-boxing is you are not handcuffded to performance-at-all-costs like you were in your first life. With retro just pick any cpu/gpu/ram flavor you want, and work on stability and compatibility. VA6 is working for me - so far...