VOGONS

Common searches

Game will ONLY work with CD in drive

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, and would like to make it work withOUT the CD. I have an ISO of the CD, and mounted it with each Virtual drive emulator, one at a time,listed on this web site, but i keep getting the same error "Pitfall must be played using the CD-ROM" It is possible for this game to load with NO CD?

Thanks in advance

Reply 3 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

An iso might fail a copy protection check if the original CD has audio tracks. For aufio tracks you need a bin+cue image, an iso doesn't have audio tracks.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 56, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if the OP have the original CD, then might want to use CloneCD (illegal in European Union though).

CloneCD has better compatibilty of creating workings cd-images from CD with copy-protection mechanism,
instead of standardized .ISOs.

why standardized iso doesn't good?
because any anti-copy mechanism actually break the CD specification standards (you know, that colored/rainbow book).

-fffuuu

Reply 5 of 56, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try DOSBox, but, unless i'm mistaken, the game Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is for Windows, NOT DOS. I doubt the CD has audio tracks, since the entire CD contents is under 40 MB. How do i create a bin+cue image? I will also make a copy with CloneCD and see if that works, but that only seems to make a .ccd image file.

Reply 7 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Audio tracks do not show as size of a CD if there is also a data track. Also as I wrote you can't judge this by the iso image as that only used the data track.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 56, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joey_sw wrote:
CloneCD has better compatibilty of creating workings cd-images from CD with copy-protection mechanism, instead of standardized . […]
Show full quote

CloneCD has better compatibilty of creating workings cd-images from CD with copy-protection mechanism,
instead of standardized .ISOs.

why standardized iso doesn't good?
because any anti-copy mechanism actually break the CD specification standards (you know, that colored/rainbow book).

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is so ancient that I'm pretty sure it predates sophisticated copy protection schemes.

One thing old games did often do was expect the CD to be in the first drive letter after the hard drive. If your virtual drive emulator comes up as the last drive letter, you should try re-arranging your drive letters. (I believe the relevant setting is in the Windows Computer Management control panel, in Administrative Tools.)

seskanda wrote:

I doubt the CD has audio tracks, since the entire CD contents is under 40 MB.

I know for a fact that it does. As Mr. Dominus says, audio tracks on a mixed-mode CD don't show up in Windows Explorer, and if you have a .iso image (instead of a bin/cue), the audio tracks will be missing. Nonetheless, I seem to recall running this game in the past without the audio tracks.

Reply 9 of 56, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pitfall does have cd audio tracks, 23 of them on a mixed mode cd for a grand total of 668MB. I just converted my cd to bin/cue. Not a DOS game but works fine for me in XP SP3 from a mounted image in daemon tools

Reply 10 of 56, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, i was wrong, it definitely has audio tracks , because i hear music playing during the game. In fact, Nero Express lists all 23 of them when i choose the "Save Tracks" option.

I'm glad some one actually plays this game with NO CD, that's what i was looking for. Only a few of the virtual drive emulation programs let me change the drive letter, but the ones that did still did NOT work.

How it is possible to see the audio files in Windows Explorer or some other program? I can only find information on how to burn a bin/cue file to CD. Please some help to create a bin/cue image of a CD would be great.

Last edited by seskanda on 2012-06-01, 13:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 56, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seskanda wrote:

I'm glad some one actually plays this game with NO CD, that's what i was looking for. Only a few of the virtual drive emulation programs let me change the drive letter, but the ones that did still did NOT work.

How did you try to change the drive letter? If the game is working with the actual CD, then you might need to interchange the virtual drive's letter with the letter of your actual drive. Like I said, you probably need to use the Computer Management control panel to do that.

How it is possible to see the audio files in Windows Explorer or some other program? I can only find information on how to burn a bin/cue file to CD. Please some help to create a bin/cue image of a CD would be great.

imgburn is completely freeware and will do pretty much everything you will ever need to do.

Reply 16 of 56, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

imgburn is completely freeware and will do pretty much everything you will ever need to do.

Except imgburn won't crack any drm, making it almost worthless when making images of commercial discs. I've been using imgburns predicessor, DVD Decrypter for many years now. It works great when combined with DVD Shrink.

Reply 17 of 56, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olemogamer wrote:

Except imgburn won't crack any drm, making it almost worthless when making images of commercial discs.

Fair enough – but in those cases I reckon you're much better off finding a noCD patch of some kind than dealing with fancier DRM-eluding software.

I've been using imgburns predicessor, DVD Decrypter for many years now. It works great when combined with DVD Shrink.

That really doesn't have anything to do with DRM'd PC games.

Reply 18 of 56, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

How did you try to change the drive letter? If the game is working with the actual CD, then you might need to interchange the virtual drive's letter with the letter of your actual drive. Like I said, you probably need to use the Computer Management control panel to do that.

Actually, some of the virtual drive programs, like ISODisk, allow you to mount an image to any available drive letter. That's how i did it.

I think UltraISO can make a bin/cue image from CD, but not sure if it can bypass copy protection. Daemon Tools Pro is able to break it, as will Alcohol 120%. But, i'm wondering, how to get Pitfall to work withOUT CD and NO music or SFX? That is, is it possible for the bin/cue image to just save the data from the CD, and NOT the music/SFX?

Reply 19 of 56, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seskanda wrote:

allow you to mount an image to any available drive letter.

What am I trying to say is that you need to change the drive letter that is currently being used for your real CD-ROM drive, because that is where the game is (probably) trying to look for its CD. At the time the game was written it was very uncommon for PCs to have multiple CD-ROM drives and it is probably not checking every possible drive letter for its disc.

I think UltraISO can make a bin/cue image from CD, but not sure if it can bypass copy protection. Daemon Tools Pro is able to break it, as will Alcohol 120%.

I very much doubt that Pitfall is using any sort of copy protection that would require Daemon Tools Pro.

But, i'm wondering, how to get Pitfall to work withOUT CD and NO music or SFX? That is, is it possible for the bin/cue image to just save the data from the CD, and NOT the music/SFX?

That would be the .iso image you mentioned before.