VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I know this might've been posted here before, but the only result I found was outdated and off the Dosbox section. I'm using a clean SVN build for OSX. Is there any way to fix this other than using another scaler?

Reply 1 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I cannot reproduce with 0.74 or my own build of SVN (in my signature, since I'm on holiday the very new two comitts to svn aren't included).
At least not when starting up Dosbox. There is a known problem with higher color depths in games and WfW 3.11, though. But this is not limited to hq3x.

Please post your osx version, output and steps to reproduce.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running Lion 10.7.4 with everything updated. This happens with every output (tried surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb) and games running at a low resolution that triggers the scaler. If the game's resolution doesn't use the scaler, the colours are fine. It's just limited to hq2x/3x, sai and eagle scalers. MAME seems to be partially affected.

Reply 3 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, yeah. I noticed this later on that the prompt is not affected but games are. Maybe someone can trigger rhoenie to this 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Other programs (exult, pentagram) do not have this problem with hq3x... Maybe someone needs to compare the hq3x matrix 😉

Reply 6 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
filipetolhuizen wrote:

It's just limited to hq2x/3x, sai and eagle scalers.

should be checked with games using 16-bit color without scaler too, and cga composite games and machine=vgaonly

Last edited by robertmo on 2012-06-15, 07:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, those others should be easier to compare but still not that easy as those (along with ScummVM) are of course all similar but still different enough to give a headache 😀

Reply 9 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, I replied when you had only the quote...

Reply 13 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Things worked so much better on Leopard. This is not half of the problems I'm having with gaming under Lion... I'm seriously thinking about downgrading to Snow Leopard.

Reply 15 of 17, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my setup, colors are screwed with the SVN build in vga_only mode immediately at the DOS prompt, with svga(s3) it only in 16 bit color. Scalars are turned off. I use Lion 10.4 and I have had issues since the first version of Lion and DosBOX 0.74. Version 0.73 has no color issues but crashes when the full-screen mode is activated.
I was told in an earlier topic that it is a problem of the SDL library for Mac OS X that seems to be broken in Lion.

Reply 16 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lion broke some functions in SDL, which brought lots of problems on existing applications, as it wasn't enough removing Rosetta. 😠

Reply 17 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

well, as much as I was bitten by the SDL thing (I do snapshots for four applications, including dosbox), Apple is at least following through with what they announce. SDL was using deprecated stuff that Apple long since announced that they would cut. When they eventually did, we had this problem...
As for Dosbox and Scalers, there must be something that Dosbox does that doesn't show on other software with these scalers. Haven' got time to take a look and I think it has been somewhat investigated before...