VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up a set of 4 IBM PC330 boxes yesterday, on the cheap.

Two model 6571's, one with a DX2-66, and one with a DX4-100 (which turned out to be faulty). A model 6575 with a Pentium 90, and a model 6576 with a Pentium 133.

The Socket 3 boxes can be transformed from ISA/PCI boxes to ISA/VLB boxes by changing the riser board, which is interesting. I think that the PCI bus is still present if you use the VLB riser, because the onboard VGA chip (Cirrus Logic GD5430) appears to be a PCI chip. Unfortunately the seller had pulled the cache chips from both of the 486 systems, but that's easily remedied.

The model 6575 and 6576 boxes both have Trio64V+ onboard video chips, which is obviously a good choice for the DOS gamer, compatibility wise.

I thought I'd put a little work into one of the 486 systems, and sell it off to fund my next little project. Here's what I ended up with:

http://i.imgur.com/5MAe0l.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YI87Gl.jpg […]
Show full quote

5MAe0l.jpg
YI87Gl.jpg

Specs:
IBM PC330 Desktop system
Intel 486DX2 66MHz CPU
1x 16MB 72-pin Fast Page RAM SIMM
256KB 15ns External Cache
540MB HDD
52x CD-ROM
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Onboard Cirrus Logic GD5430 PCI VGA with 1MB VRAM
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 CT2800
Realtek NE2000-Compatible ISA NIC

It's for sale on another forum I frequent, but if it doesn't sell there, I'll list it on VCF or Amibay.

Of course it's nothing spectacular, the HDD is small, and the sound card restricts usefulness with external MIDI synths, but I think that for someone with limited space who just wants to fire up some classics, it'd be perfect.

Thoughts?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 7, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the 6577 one. It shipped with Pentium 133 but eventually upgraded it with Pentium 233 (running underclocked at 200Mhz as it is the highest processor clock speed).

Unfortunately, the SDRAM is a SDRAM 5.0V instead of the regular 3.3V. 🙁

Reply 3 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I'm concerned, that box has pretty much the perfect specs for a period-accurate 486 build. I actually used to have a Touch Systems (obscure Canadian OEM 🤣) box with almost the same specs, though it only had 8MB of RAM and the Cirrus Logic video card it had was VLB instead (and probably a different model too, but I can't remember). It's a shame that system started acting up and randomly crashing on me, otherwise I'd still have it around somewhere!

Reply 6 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

A gorgeous machine. I wish I had storage space and an infinite supply of money.

OH my, I could easily fill up an airplane hanger overnight if I had the money. 😲

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 7, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MatthewBrian wrote:

I have the 6577 one. It shipped with Pentium 133 but eventually upgraded it with Pentium 233 (running underclocked at 200Mhz as it is the highest processor clock speed).

Wouldn't it run at 233 with the board set to 1.5x? (since the Pentium MMX remapped 1.5x to 3.5x -same for K6/2/III and 6x86MX/MII)