VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Created a new thread from this one:
Re: 3D accelerated games list (non 3dfx/D3D/OGL)

Trying to get this version of the game to run. The first error I encountered was that I got "No Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 detected". This is not uncommon as I don't have a Diamond Stealth 3D card, but a generic S3 Virge DX card. So to get around it I installed the Diamond Stealth 2000 drivers, and that worked in Windows mode.

The next problem I encountered was that I got a "Incorrect CD in drive", which baffles me since I have the original CD in my "D:" drive.
(Image of the CD here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57506833/vogons/s3dd0002.JPG )

Have I missed something obvious on the CD check somewhere? This version is Windows95, not DOS as the retail version. I've tried the No-cd cracks for the DOS version, but they don't work.

Anyone else have this version and can help? My theory is that since I'm trying to fool the system with the drivers, something goes wrong and I get this error up. Would be nice if someone with the actual card could test it out.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a fresh reinstall now that you have Diamond drivers. I remember a friend of mine having the same problem back in the old days, but I can't remember whether he got around it.

Reply 2 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried a full reinstall, even the minimum setting as well. Different folder each time. No luck 🙁

I can also add that the version of Descent 2 that is included also has a similar check for the card. Since that runs in DOS there is no way to fool the system that you have a Stealth 3D card as far as I know.

Reply 3 of 42, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try using cd image.
also try having only one cd drive letter in your system (maybe even completely uninstall all virtual drives, also try disconnect real drive leaving only virtual one)

Reply 4 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Created a CD image of the disc. Inistalled Daemon Tools on the machine, mounted it and also plugged out the real CD-ROM. Only the virtual CD drive active. Same error message. Then I tried to reinstall the game,but that didn't help either. Any other tips?

Reply 5 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, thanks to archive.org I found the problem:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970414161115/htt … d-2000.html#1-6

After I install the Destruction Derby game and run it, I get the "Start up error" message "Incorrect CD in drive." What's going […]
Show full quote

After I install the Destruction Derby game and run it, I get the "Start up error" message "Incorrect CD in drive." What's going on?
Due to a manufacturing facility issue there was a bad production run of the Destruction Derby/Descent II discs. This results in the the improper validation of the cd. And it only surfaces when Destruction Derby is run.
If you receive this message, check the manfacturing coding on the inner ring of the disc. There will be a string of numbers preceded with the "ADCA" designation. This will verify the a bad disc.

To resolve this issue contact Diamond's Customer Service Dept. for a replacement disc. Please all 800-468-5846 or 408-325-7100 Mon-Fri, 6am-5pm (PST).

So I have a bad production run disc.. great. I know you leileilol and megatron-uk have a copy, would you be interested in helping me out?

My ADCA code: 10966 - 3 7 (8068) 75000117001

Reply 6 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried to hack away the "Incorrect CD in drive" error, but it just resulted in a crash. I can't figure it out, but my skills in this are lacking and the guides I found on Google didn't help with this game.

What I did manage though is hack away the driver check for the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 card 😀

Reply 8 of 42, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
Well, thanks to archive.org I found the problem: […]
Show full quote

Well, thanks to archive.org I found the problem:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970414161115/htt … d-2000.html#1-6

After I install the Destruction Derby game and run it, I get the "Start up error" message "Incorrect CD in drive." What's going […]
Show full quote

After I install the Destruction Derby game and run it, I get the "Start up error" message "Incorrect CD in drive." What's going on?
Due to a manufacturing facility issue there was a bad production run of the Destruction Derby/Descent II discs. This results in the the improper validation of the cd. And it only surfaces when Destruction Derby is run.
If you receive this message, check the manfacturing coding on the inner ring of the disc. There will be a string of numbers preceded with the "ADCA" designation. This will verify the a bad disc.

To resolve this issue contact Diamond's Customer Service Dept. for a replacement disc. Please all 800-468-5846 or 408-325-7100 Mon-Fri, 6am-5pm (PST).

So I have a bad production run disc.. great. I know you leileilol and megatron-uk have a copy, would you be interested in helping me out?

My ADCA code: 10966 - 3 7 (8068) 75000117001

Holy cow, that's one-in-a-million...

Perhaps it's as simple as getting a replacement executable from someone with a working disc.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Perhaps it's as simple as getting a replacement executable from someone with a working disc.

I have been thinking about this myself as well. I did manage to get rid of the "Incorrect CD in drive" messagebox, but the game just crashes to desktop with no error message(s) straight after I run the executable. As I see it after my attempts at the CD check hack there are three problems, listed from most likely to less likely:

1. My CD check hack didn't work and it now causes the game to crash.
2. My CD check hack did work, but there are problems from the bad production run resulting in a faulty executable, for example that it is looking for resource files in the wrong locations or other errors.
3. Same as 2. in that the hack did work, but that the game is missing resource files on the CD or other files are corrupted.

Reply 10 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose I could attach this to see if it can help.

You could also try copying all the files off your disc to see if you'll get a CRC error somewhere. It's not the best verifiable check of corrupt data, but it's a start

Attachments

• Filename
    s3derbybin.zip
    File size
    253.25 KiB
    Downloads
    553 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got the game running!

It definitely looks alot better in S3 mode than in normal DOS! Higher resolution and filtering 😀

The executable that leileilol provided didn't work straight out of the box, so I thought I should give it one more go at the NO-CD hacking. I got it running, but it's not perfect at the moment. I still get an error that says "NO CD detected in drive" and there is no CD audio. I need to work on that to see if it's possible to get it back into the game. Also I noticed that using the generic Windows S3 Virge DX driver the game had some lag and FPS issues. I switched to the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PRO driver (made for the DX version which I have, though I don't have a Diamond card installed) and it ran alot better. I can confirm that my hack to remove the driver check does work without any issues, but it looks like this game has been optimized for the diamond drivers.

I also have another problem, the game runs at 512x384. My monitor reports: 1024x768 (which is bollox) at 56.3kHz running at 70hz. If I can't get it to run at 60hz or 75hz, then it will be a problem to capture some video footage as both my VGA capture card and my HDMI scaler doesn't sync with it.

EDIT:
Found something interesting from this source:
http://www.myrkul.org/virge.html

Since I do not have the normal version of Destruction Derby I was not able to make any comparisons. The version that came with […]
Show full quote

Since I do not have the normal version of Destruction Derby I was not able
to make any comparisons. The version that came with the ViRGE ran at 512x384
in high color, and ran at about 15-25 fps. If the filtering option is turned
on, the speed goes down to about 8-15 fps. These frame rates are probably OK
for a racecar game (in Descent they would be nauseating), however even at
512x384 with filtering on the game looks blocky as it uses very low resolution
textures.

[NOTE: I originally thought the game was running in 1024x768 because of the
horizontal and vertical scan rates that my monitor was showing (which matched
1024x768 70Hz refresh). 512x384 uses the same scan rates and is in fact
exactly 1/4 of a 1024x768 screen.]

btw, I definitely have better framerate with my DX card and 1ghz P3 than what he is reporting.

Attachments

• dds3.png
    Filename
    dds3.png
    File size
    186.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Destruction Derby on the S3 Virge
    File license

Reply 12 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OMG, I waited so long to see this! I can't believe how great it looks! If only it was D3D...
Hey, now there's another thing, there are more damageable spots than the original version too!

Reply 15 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did the hex edits to my original bad production run disc as well. It worked ,so it is not the .exe file that is the problem on the bad disc.

I have included two .exe files here, first one just removes the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 driver check and lets the game run on any S3 Virge card, the second is a NO CD crack to the game. It makes the game run even if you have a bad production disc. I was unfortunately not able to crack the CD check and still keep the CD audio. Those with a bad production run disc are stuck with running the game without the music which is not optimal. The NO-CD file also removes the driver check.

filipetolhuizen: Refreshlock and Powerstrip did not work, also I can't get the game to run in Windowed mode. The only way I was able to capture some video was through screen capture software, but there I only got 5-10 FPS. If anyone know about any good capturing software (for Windows) that lets you capture in 30 fps please let me know. Fraps does not work.

Attachments

• Filename
    DD-NOCD.EXE
    File size
    456.5 KiB
    Downloads
    706 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DD-NODIAMONDCARD.EXE
    File size
    456.5 KiB
    Downloads
    680 downloads
    File license

Reply 17 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I did the hex edits to my original bad production run disc as well. It worked ,so it is not the .exe file that is the problem on the bad disc.

I have included two .exe files here, first one just removes the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 driver check and lets the game run on any S3 Virge card, the second is a NO CD crack to the game. It makes the game run even if you have a bad production disc. I was unfortunately not able to crack the CD check and still keep the CD audio. Those with a bad production run disc are stuck with running the game without the music which is not optimal. The NO-CD file also removes the driver check.

filipetolhuizen: Refreshlock and Powerstrip did not work, also I can't get the game to run in Windowed mode. The only way I was able to capture some video was through screen capture software, but there I only got 5-10 FPS. If anyone know about any good capturing software (for Windows) that lets you capture in 30 fps please let me know. Fraps does not work.

No problem if it's on low FPS. I'm just dying to see anything related to this game.

Reply 18 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

No problem if it's on low FPS. I'm just dying to see anything related to this game.

I will rather just use screenshots for comparison then. Having a movie running at 5-7 fps ruins the whole experience and is not a correct representation of how the game runs (30 fps). Another choice is to use my HD camera and shoot directly from my DELL LED screen, but even that is not optimal.

The last attempt is probably to try and make the game run under Windows XP. The S3 Virge have Windows XP drivers and the card is PCI. If I could get it to run on my Q6600 machine there should be plenty of CPU power to capture in 30 fps. If it is even possible to get S3D windows games to run on Windows XP is another case.

Reply 19 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Might have some good news for you. Bought a S3 Virge GX2 AGP card with S-Video and TV-out, so hopefully I can finally capture the game. Won't be top notch quality, but better than just screenshots 😀

I'll give an update when I receive it in 1-2 weeks time.