VOGONS

First post, by beej175560

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm playing Wizardry 1 + 2 in DosBox. Finished Wizardry 1 and just figured out how to transfer my characters to Wizardry 2. (Short explanation: copy both Wizardry 1 and 2 files into the C:\WIZARDRY\ directory. To xfer, run WIZDOS WIZ2.DSK WIZ1.DSK, go to (E)dge of town, (U)tilities, (M)ove characters, and use CTRL + RIGHT_SHIFT to switch to your Wizardry 1 disk image when prompted, then CTRL + LEFT_SHIFT to switch back to the Wizardry 2 disk when prompted. Then quit and run Wizardry 2 normally via WIZ2.BAT to play the game. Your characters are deleted from the old disk and lose all their items when transferred to the new disk, so make a backup copy if you want to keep playing Wizardry 1...)

Anyway, I was all excited to have figured out the transfer procedure, but I can't actually play the game due to some Unimplemented Instruction errors. Specifically, after transferring characters:

Go to Gilgamesh, add a character, leave. Go to Boltac, try to sell. I get:
EXECERR: Unimplemented Instruction Seg#0e, Proc#17, Inst#ad74[b6]

Similarly, get a party together, go into the dungeon, knock down a door, kill some monsters. After I earn XP but before the treasure chest appears, I get:
EXECERR: Unimplemented Instruction Seg#13, Proc#06, Inst#afd7[01]

I'm not familiar with DosBox, but I am a competent programmer. Any advice on how to verify that these opcodes are unimplemented and/or how to add them?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You should first try your luck with lock stock Dosbox 0.74 or an SVN built (see my signature). You are using boxer or something else and that may bring breakage...
And you get the same errors when using just wizardry 2 without trying to load a w1 character?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

You should first try your luck with lock stock Dosbox 0.74 or an SVN built (see my signature). You are using boxer or something else and that may bring breakage...
And you get the same errors when using just wizardry 2 without trying to load a w1 character?

People may have great difficulty trying to play Wiz 2 without characters from Wiz 1, as Wiz 2 starts in monster levels from where Wiz 1 left off. Early versions of Wiz 2 had no character generator and required characters from Wiz 1.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 9, by beej175560

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the exact same errors when using stock DosBox 0.74 prebuilt for OSX, without the Boxer GUI wrapper.

The version of Wizardry 2 that I'm playing has no character generator. You have to transfer characters from Wizardry 1 in order to play. This is what the game designers intended.

Any other suggestions?

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Have you tried my svn built?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 9, by arathorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You were close in how you imported the characters, but it was wrong. You start the game in Wizardry 1 then go to utility page and move characters from wizardry 1 to a wizardry 2 disk. The same is true for going from wizardry 2 to 3. The important thing to keep in mind is that you start in Wizardry 1 mode to move your characters to wizardry 2 ... otherwise the character disk gets corrupted. They have no sanity checks on anything.

Reply 6 of 9, by Rockbadger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe I may have an answer to this problem and a possible (but virtually improbable solution). Let me explain. Sorry about the length:

I am not a programmer but back in the eighties played the hell out of Wiz 1, 2 & 3 (and a little of 4) on Apple 2+, 2E and 2C. I am extremely familiar with the gameplay of the first three games. The images you have posted are not the original versions of Wizardry. I assume they are remake versions, possibly for the SuperNintendo or IBM. Inherently, nothing has changed except the graphics. I recently completed both 1 & 3 on these versions with no problems.

Which brings us back to Wiz 2…

I continually came across the same problem you did and could not work out a solution, nor find one on the internet. So, I “obtained” the original apple versions (circa ’81) and played them through an apple emulator. Everything worked perfectly. Completed Wiz 1 and got all pieces of KOD’s armour in Wiz 2. Then, tragedy 

*NOTE* Make back-ups of your dsk files often!

I decided to teleport to the bottom floor of Wiz 2, having already visited that floor. Any experienced wizardry player knows that if you teleport into rock your party is instantly destroyed. I messed up my co-ordinates and my party was entirely deleted.

*NOTE* Your party does not exist while you are in camp above the first floor stairs (or quite possibly in any camp). If you make a back-up of your disk at this point, which I did, your party will not exist when you attempt to recover! So, I had to start all over again with new characters from Wiz 1 (this is important!).

Ok, I know this is long, but all this will make sense shortly.

Jumping in our De Lorian and traveling back to the early eighties, computers did not have hard drives. All information had to be saved to your floppy disk. When you bought an original apple version of Wizardy the manual said that you should not play on the original, but rather make a duplicate copy and play on that. If anything went wrong you could make another duplicate of the original, salvage what you could and keep going, or, as in my case, start from scratch.

The reason for playing on the duplicate is that the Wizardry program re-writes some of it’s data/programming as you progress through the game.

Now… remember my deleted Wiz 2 party? When I finally got my new characters to Wiz 2, guess what - there were flaws in the game. It didn’t crash, but some graphics did not display properly and the KOD’s gear did not exist. Why? Because the program had re-written itself to say these items did not exist and thrown in a few flaws just for the hell of it.

Suddenly I had flashbacks of similar things happening to me in the eighties.

Cutting this story short I loaded my new party from the duplicate version and then switched drives on the emulator so that now the original was loaded. I removed my party and switched drives back. You have to do it this way because Wiz will not let you transfer chars between duplicates. My party now existed on both copies.

*NOTE* Quite often the last character you remove at Gigamesh’s does not save. If you are doing stuff like this always reload a character and then re-remove them. This guarantees the program will save your characters properly. Going to ‘Edge of Town’ or ‘Leaving’ the game works, but sometimes you don’t want that (for example, what if one character gives a rare item/gold to another character. You save the second character, load/remove them, and then end the game without removing the first character who gave the item. When you recover both chars have the item. I digress…)

I had to recover my party on both duplicates…. but, success!

When I played the game on the master version all the flaws were gone and the KOD armour existed again!

So, here is a solution to the problem you have posted. The version we have all been trying to play on is a pre-played Wiz 2. It contains embedded flaws. The only way to be able to play it is to find a version that has never been played before. Told you, improbable. Although if someone has another solution I'd love to hear it.

Lastly- moving characters around is not a problem, despite other comments. I create my chars in Wiz 1 and immediately import them to Wiz 3. I then perform the ‘rite of passage’. Booting Wizardry 1 I import them back and begin playing. I am still using those characters on Wiz 2 and as of this morning have collected all 5 pieces of KOD’s gear. No problems.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since this seems to be a matter of some import to you, may I suggest the SNES version? You'll probably want this patch.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/496/

Reply 9 of 9, by jameswennmacher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the benefit of others that may encounter this issue:

I encountered the same problem. I had obtained my Wizardry from wizardryarchives.

After encountering the problem, I did some searching and found that Interplay had released a CD around 1998 called "Ultimate Wizardry Archives". I was able to find and purchase an old CD of it on eBay. Much to my delight, it still works!! After the install, you get
c:\WIZARDRY15 -- holds Wizardry 1 - 5
c:\BANE -- Holds Wizardry 6
c:\DSAVANT -- Holds Wizardry 7

You still have to run Wizardry 1 - 5 on DOSBOX. I'm successfully running DOSBOX on Windows 11. I haven't gotten to Wizardry 6 or 7 yet.

I was able to move the characters like it mentioned above and it worked fine. E.g. in DOSBOX:
run WIZDOS WIZ2.DSK WIZ1.DSK
Go to (E)dge of town, (U)tilities, (M)ove characters, and use CTRL + RIGHT_SHIFT to switch to your Wizardry 1 disk image when prompted, then CTRL + LEFT_SHIFT to switch back to the Wizardry 2 disk when prompted.

Happy wizardry'ing!!