VOGONS

Common searches

Good DOS first person shooter recommendations

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 51, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's quite active D3D mapping community, eduke32 forums is the place to go for that. Quake also, quakeone.com for that, although more mods for source ports than maps being made. DOOM aswell... I prefer the doomworld forums for that. I have disagree with leilei on the copypasta comment, there is quite some interesting mods,maps and source ports for most of the old (good) games still being produced.

If you're a modder or coder there is tons of great stuff on inside3d.

Reply 42 of 51, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:

Malik: I kind of put Mech games in their own category, along with Space Hulk and Earthsiege. I do the same with racing/flying games even though many offer First person perspective like Hellbender, Fury3, Terminal Velocity and Descent series. These are all good games too.

Earthsiege was a great game. It was overlooked, because of all the hype surrounding the imminent Mechwarrior. To be honest MW 2 deserved the hype, it's SVGA graphics were astoundingly atmospheric, the soundtrack was killer and the game had everything a mech game needed. But Dynamix's Earthseige was a great game in it's own right. The salvage-able mech remains, the fact that you could go above and beyond the call of duty to complete a mission with bonuses, the gameplay itself required a lot of thought. Alpha strikes needed to be targetted perfectly against a heavy opponent such as a Colossus.

The only thing I hated about ES1 was the flyers.... lack of mouse support made them so annoying to kill. Speaking of which, it was hard to target a Herc's individual body parts using the pgup, pgdn keys in the heat of battle too! ^^

Fond memories of the game though, even though it ran like shit on my 486SLC 🙁

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 43 of 51, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
Not really. DNF's data structure changed so much you can't just snap on an UnrealEd and expect it to work. It's up to Gearbox to […]
Show full quote
SquallStrife wrote:
leileilol wrote:

DNF's powered by UnrealEngine2, and UDK is UE3 so it's not really compatible.

UnrealEd, I beg your pardon!

Not really. DNF's data structure changed so much you can't just snap on an UnrealEd and expect it to work. It's up to Gearbox to unleash Duke's Enormous Tool (yes, it's really called that now, and has been since Duke moved to UnrealEngine in 1999)

m1919 wrote:

No idea how much of the modding community for D3D still exists as it did way back when, but there was some pretty awesome stuff. The thing I always loved about D3D were the countless user-made levels, campaigns and mods for it.

It exists, but it's pretty much the same kind of copypaste mapper retro kids you similarly can find in today's Doom and Wolf3D scenes. The real Duke3D mapping community I know moved onto Half-Life or the games industry.

and why didnt you too move to either ?

Reply 45 of 51, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tunnel B1 is pretty sweet, although I have the PS1 version myself. I heard a DOS version exists. Star Wars: Dark Forces is a must.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 47 of 51, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Tunnel B1 for DOS is an early 16bpp game (even before Extreme Assault I think) and I remember it running pretty slow.

I did an experiment where I ran my PS1 disc on my SLI Voodoo 2 system with a Sony emulator. Tunnel B1 was given quite the face lift! I tried the same with Twisted Metal but had issues with missing or flashing textures on the cars. (Not to derail the topic here!)

Forgot a personal, obscure favorite: WW2 GI, it runs on the Build engine like Duke Nukem and Blood

http://static.jonof.id.au/modsuppt/build.game … /ss/ww2gi01.png

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 49 of 51, by ravenxau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it seemed appropriate to do so......

I recently came across Ken Silvermans web page with the Kens Labyrinth stuff on it - It also has his original 'Walken demo'....Now, Walken also include Ken's original Map/Graphics editor that he wrote in Qbasic..... Anyway, I decided to look at the demo and load up the map editor. Although the game gets derided for its simplistic graphics and game play, I actually had fun playing through the levels as I am a fan of old dos raycaster games. After a week of experimenting with the editor It's time to share the most usefull things I have discovered:-

- Although it supports using a mouse, the keyboard is better (drawing straight lines, etc)
- PageUp/Pagedown to change boards
- +/- on numeric keyboard to cycle through walls sprites
- space bar to plot a single point on the map
- T - Toggle Trail on/off (save multiple space bar presses)
- Tab - 'Eyedropper' to select a tile from the map
- F - Flood fill current tile (be careful, no 'undo' feature)
- Enter - Switch between 'Map' and 'Art' modes (also works a 'save without exit')
- Esc - Exit Editor
- Walls above #128 are 'holo' and can be walked through by the player, but not enemies
- Wall #128 is invisible, can be walked over by the player, but not enemies
- Walls #252 - #255 are player start points (facing E,S,W,N respectively)

During Gameplay:-

- There is only 1 weapon (red fireball) , but collecting extras increases firing rate
- Lightning Bolt is not selectable but the more you have the further your shots travel
- Item #32 is an extra life (lets you restart level with all weapons levels intact)

A neat mapping trick:-

# - Wall * - Player E - Enemy

#########################
############### E########
############### #########

#########################

The alcove is set back 1 space in the wall and 1 space to the right - as the player is approaching from the left the enemy will see the player on the diagonal before the player sees the enemy and the enemy will seem to appear from 'nowhere' - about the closest to a 'trap' that I have come up with

- as the game only uses a single plane to hold all the data, maps can be made easily and at a very rapid pace (takes longer to play test them than make them)

- On a coding sidenote, if you disable the mouse support in the editors source code, the editor will run fine inside the free 1.1 version of Qbasic without the need to be compiled

- Link to the download page http://advsys.net/ken/klab.htm

Reply 51 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

why? Why necrobump an old thread to point at an old thread?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper