VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get my old CD of this game working in DosBox, but it crashes during the intro EVERY time no matter what I do. I've seen some threads that suggest that turning off the game's custom mouse cursor via the TBRA.BAT file makes it work, but this didn't work for me. Others say that turning the cycles up helps, but this hasn't worked for me either.

I've tried changing the loadfix value, the memsize, all types of soundblaster options, selecting different options in the setup menu, all to no avail.

Has anyone had any luck getting this game to work 100% with DosBox, where you can see all the speech-enabled scenes without the game freezing and crashing DosBox?

I wonder if it might be possible to swap out the default sound driver files the game is trying to use (SBEFF.EXE and SBMIDI.EXE) for alternates?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is DMA wrapping in the game that causes an error exit in 0.74 and noise in prior versions.

One solution is to use a (preferably vanilla) SVN build of DOSBox with the ems=emm386 setting. An option for 0.74 is to use the JEMM memory manager from here; set xms=false, ems=false, umb=false and load JEMM in DOSBox like this: JEMMEX NOEMS LOAD

Reply 2 of 4, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was finally able to get the game running using your instructions regarding JEMM and also by selecting Adlib for the music option, which seems to have disabled all music whereas the Midi option made it crash a little further into the intro.

This game just seems very buggy in general, hopefully I will be able to play through without too many problems...

Thanks for the response and info anyways!

Reply 4 of 4, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a magazine cover demo of Big Red Adventure, and it never worked quite right. Every time I played it I got mouse cursor problems, or flickering, or random hangs entering or leaving rooms.

Never played the full game, but it seemed pretty neat. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread