VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both CTCM and CTCU use a very mundane check to guess whether it's running in windows. It looks for the environment variable "winbootdir". How clever.. 😒

This creates problems for those who are actually running in pure DOS but also have a Windows installation with this variable set.

Here is a patched set of CTCM and CTCU that removes this check.

The advantage of this patch is that it allows CTCU to be used for graphically modifying your PNP Creative sound card. CTCM also will sometimes fail to load as well depending on some configurations when it thinks there is a discrepancy between the DOS and Windows resources. I believe this corrects that as well.

Attachments

• Filename
    CTCM.zip
    File size
    246.8 KiB
    Downloads
    722 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So what exactly is the difference to the normal version when called with the /T switch?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

/T switch?

I feel I'm learning something new 😀

What does the switch do?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

Both CTCM and CTCU use a very mundane check to guess whether it's running in windows. It looks for the environment variable "winbootdir". How clever.

Say, is that the same check used by Creative's installer for the DOS drivers? (It is pretty much the only program I've ever seen that absolutely insists on being run from MS-DOS 6.22 and not DOS 7.x, but I've never understood what sort of check it uses.)

Reply 4 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does the switch do?

I just tried it. It says it's for some kind of Windows 95 testing mode. I'm assuming it removes the Windows checks for CTCM.. I think. However, this switch does not exist for CTCU; so my patch is still relevant for this. 😀

Say, is that the same check used by Creative's installer for the DOS drivers?

The installer checks against the DOS version. I did try but I wasn't able to find this check by dropping it into a hex editor. It will have to be run through a debugger to find the location to be patched.

It is pretty much the only program I've ever seen that absolutely insists on being run from MS-DOS 6.22 and not DOS 7.x

The SETVER trick works for this. No need for 6.22.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

The SETVER trick works for this. No need for 6.22.

Are you sure about that? Someone has previously mentioned trying SETVER with no success. Perhaps we are talking about different things?
Getting my AWE64 working in pure DOS mode

Reply 6 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It works fine. Changes to SETVER won't take effect until the system it rebooted; maybe that was the problem. Also, SETVER has to be run at least once to initialize in memory after the reboot.

It's most likely that the user in the other thread made a mistake.

Reply 7 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I have also used SETVER successfully!

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mau1wurf1977, I was following your guide while attempting to change the IRQ, MIDI, and DMA values of my PNP SB AWE 64 GOLD and I was unable to get them to "stick" no matter what combination I used. This is despite successfully passing all tests in CTCU.

With CTCU I can only change the values in any "configuration" other than 0. The problem was that CTCM *always* resets the PNP bios back to configuration 0 which has the values I don't want. CTCM has to be run after every reboot and this changes the values in CTPNP.CFG back to configuration 0. 😒

I found that using CTCM with the "/T" switch will always load CTCM with the configuration in CTPNP.CFG instead of having the card decide and then update CTPNP.CFG with the values I don't want.

To summarize: always use CTCM with the "/T" switch.. ?

Have you experienced anything like this?

Reply 9 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I set ctpnp.cfg READ ONLY, so ctcm can not write to the file.
Previously I set the desired values in ctpnp.cfg.

Then you can check if ctcm sets the same resources as given in ctpnp.cfg by checking the BLASTER setting after a call. If it is different you have to free up some resource you would like to have.
f.e. check if it reserved in BIOS for ISA, PnP OS is set to YES and so on.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't test to that extent as I am now back to DOS 6.22 again. Might look into it again when I have some time 😀 But I keep the /T switch in mind!

My YouTube channel