VOGONS

Daggerfall CVS Build by Ykhwong

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers, what is SSE2? I have a quad core i7 2600K 3.2 GHz overclocked to 3.8.

With the build I have, (when I am running) sometimes when I jump I stop dead instead of jumping and outdoors in Sneak mode I don't seem to move at all. It's OK indoors. Sideway strafenig is stupidly slow as well.

Honestly, that old 0.63 build was the best I have ever seen, and I have been playing TES since Daggerfall first came out on everything from Win 95, 98, XP, XP2, XP3 and now Win 7 (skipped Blister).

~

Reply 22 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=96AD29F19839D999!392
My build...best enjoyed with an SSE2 capable processor.

That seems to be working fine so far!

In Controls, the "" does not appear in the box, but it does not crash when I map it and works in the game, so it must have been something to do with that SVN-Daum

Also, M3 appears in the box and works to open doors and pick things up.

I still have the movement problem. Outdoors and in town I stop dead instead of sneaking, I cannot slide right or left and jumping is erratic - sometimes I stop dead, sometimes it's OK and sometimes I do a superjump.

The only thing that fixes this is typing "1", as I have cheatmode 1 enabled, and I run mega fast, but you can't play like that. I need to be able to Sneak in towns becasue I am playing a Khajiit Merchant.

Any tips?

IIRC, the speed cheat makes max movement 6x faster, so if I change the max speed in z.cfg to 35 and always enable the speed cheat, I might get normal movemtent, but not tried yet.

I'm hoping some other setting works because I remember playing it with previous OSs and the only issues were bugs in the game.

~

Reply 23 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cheers, what is SSE2? I have a quad core i7 2600K 3.2 GHz overclocked to 3.8.

A processor extension, which you, indeed, have.

I'm glad it worked 😀
No tips for the movement issue, maybe it has to do with the cycles setting (combat does). I use 20000, try a number around that (my six core is 3.4 GHz); maybe try different core types and adjust cycles accordingly.

Reply 24 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, thanks. It's set to auto, which defaults to 50,000 cycles. I seem to remember for some games that sometimes less is more with DOSBox.

It only happens outdoors and in cities - in buildings and dungeons it's fine. Changing the default max movement speed in Z.CFG didn't help, it still changed to 1200 when I used the speed cheat key "1".

It's an odd thing as I cannot move backwards or sideways out doors - the snow sweeps to the side as if I am moving sideways but I stay in the same spot. Sometimes I creep incredible slowly in Stealth when I am close to a wall, but in open space it doesn't seem to move at all.

Cheers!

~

Reply 26 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I tried 20000 and I couldn't load any saves for about 15 seconds and movement generally was sluggish. I'll have to try 30,000 etc.

The game plays fine at auto or max, it's just this sideways and stealth movement out doors, same as with Ykhwong's build.

Maybe it's something to do with Ancestral Ghost's daggerfallsetup.exe? It was designed for XP and I remember all sorts of things like invisible enemies, no jump, swim etc in those days. It has a lot of unofficial bug fixes and custom stuff as well.

I might have to try the Bethesda version, but I've had enough of 150 MB downloads.

~

Reply 27 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

Lower them and see if it works...otherwise, I'm clueless.

Well, I tried the Bethesda version and it's worse - the game just freezes up in less than a minute.

I give up. I might as well get Baldur's Gate Enhanced.

I'll have to go back to the setup I had with Ancestral Ghost's download.

~

Reply 28 of 31, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for bumping this but I since I've been using some of Daum Cafe DOSBox CVN builds, and never heard of one specifically designed to run Daggerfall, this thread had caught my attention.

From what information I could find, the build in question is actually one of Gulikoza's builds, available here, which is referenced and liked to in DaGrooved1's Guide to CVS DosBox and Daggerfall.

This is probably mostly of historical interest as of now, since the vanilla build v0.74 handles the game quite well. Still, there are noticeable framerate drops in predictable places (not always, but often in large hallways and other spacious areas), so I wonder if some earlier build of DOSBox could be tweaked to somehow circumvent this issue.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 30 of 31, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity, I did some testing with the old builds and settings as suggested in DaGrooved1's guide, but it seems that the vanilla DOSBox build v0.74 has better performance anyway.

robertmo wrote:

enclose your dosbox.conf

I usually go by something like this (only modified parameters):

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
output=ddraw # overlay seems to work a bit slower

[dosbox]
machine=svga_s3 # haven't noticed significant difference with vgaonly
memsize=31

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=max

[mixer]
rate=44100

[sblaster]
# all defaults here

[gus]
gus=false

[speaker]
pcspeaker=false
tandy=off
disney=false

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

[dos]
xms=true
ems=false # doesn't seem to make a difference if this is turned on or off
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[autoexec]
@ECHO OFF
MOUNT C <path> -freesize 600
MOUNT D <path> -t cdrom -ioctl
VER set 6 22
SET PATH=C:\;C:\SC;C:\TEMP;Z:\
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
C:

It is my understanding that framerate drops happen in tall areas where there is more than one surface on different levels where the player may walk - for example, interiors of multiple-story buildings, dungeon intersections with pits or ledges above the ground etc.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games