VOGONS

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want asking question about PCI sound card. Is that Yamaha PCI soundcard has good MIDI quality?

And is someone can give me a good driver for YMF734B-V, it doesn't work on Windows 98, but works natively on Windows 2000.

Reply 1 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yamaha never released any 734 sound chip, only 724, 744 and 754.
all 734 soundcards are faked and remarked from other sound chips, probably cmi8738, realtek, crystal or others. use hwinfo or other utilities to find its true dentity.

Reply 2 of 11, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:

yamaha never released any 734 sound chip, only 724, 744 and 754.
all 734 soundcards are faked and remarked from other sound chips, probably cmi8738, realtek, crystal or others. use hwinfo or other utilities to find its true dentity.

If you said this chip was fake, I believe it was remarked Crystal sound chips. Because I saw the device manager on Windows 2000, the sound card is Crystal.

BTW, is there DOS compatibility? And any MIDI compatibility?

Reply 3 of 11, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, I saw on Windows 98 device manager that it has Yamaha device. But I can't installing the driver yet.

UP UP UP UP

Reply 5 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Have you tried installing the generic Yamaha DS-XG (or AC-XG) Win98 drivers?

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/

i don't think it would ever work, as it was not remotely a real yamaha chip. as he said, win2k had built-in crystal drivers and can recognize it.

Reply 6 of 11, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the fake chip are rebadged Crystal sound chip, the Yamaha driver doesn't work. I already trying it.

Anyone can give me the Crystal audio driver for DOS and Win95?

Is Crystal sound card has good MIDI for DOS and Windows?

Reply 7 of 11, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

i don't think it would ever work, as it was not remotely a real yamaha chip. as he said, win2k had built-in crystal drivers and can recognize it.

northernosprey02 wrote:

Oh yeah, I saw on Windows 98 device manager that it has Yamaha device. But I can't installing the driver yet.

UP UP UP UP

Why would Win98 detect it as a Yamaha device if it's really a Crystal card? All sounds a bit iffy to me and i'd just dump it and get a real Yamaha card (they can be found pretty cheap 😉).

Reply 8 of 11, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:
noshutdown wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

northernosprey02 wrote:

UP UP UP UP

Why would Win98 detect it as a Yamaha device if it's really a Crystal card? All sounds a bit iffy to me and i'd just dump it and get a real Yamaha card (they can be found pretty cheap 😉).

And what about audio quality (non-MIDI, but music), I use them for MP3 player. Meanwhile I use ESS AudioDrive or Vibra 16S for MIDI.

Reply 9 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
northernosprey02 wrote:

And what about audio quality (non-MIDI, but music), I use them for MP3 player. Meanwhile I use ESS AudioDrive or Vibra 16S for MIDI.

yamaha chips have moderate sound quality, while crystal chips are used on some entry-professional sound cards. however sound quality also relies a lot on the quality of the board circuit layout, and i doubt if a faked remarked sound card would be up to that.
crystal have decent midi performance, although not as good as yamaha's which is fully mu50 compatible.

Reply 10 of 11, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After I doing research, the fake XG chip was rebadged Crystal CS4280-CM (based on HP Vectra VL600 which some has similar chip).

Yeah, I will find the Crystal CS4280-CM driver for fake XG.

Reply 11 of 11, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:

crystal have decent midi performance, although not as good as yamaha's which is fully mu50 compatible.

Depends on the card, some only have a softsynth that comes with the driver which is absolutely horrible and gets destroyed by S-YXG50 (identical to DB50XG).