VOGONS

First post, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there

Upon installing Steam I was prompted to install this ppa as well: http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu . After that I couldn't use Dosbox in fullscreen anymore: I had the game running in the background but no picture at all. Everything is fine in windowed mode.

I was using an empty dosbox.conf with this setup to get games fullscreen:

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fullresolution=1024x600
output=overlay

1024x600 is my screen and desktop resolution, overlay allows for the picture to be stretched to fill the screens without deformation (with black bars) while using surface resulted in a fullscreen smaller picture in a black box.

Now the only way to get fullscreen back working is to use fullresolution=original but this also means permament blackbox and changing output= does not solve this.

I'm using elementary OS (based on Ubuntu 12.04, kernel 3.2.0-37), Dosbox 0.74 from the Ubuntu repos.
The computer has an Intel Atom N270 with an integrated GMA950.

Reply 1 of 13, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ubuntu-x swat ppa says (in the main page):
"If you are upgrading from one release to another with this PPA activated, please install the ppa-purge package and use it to downgrade everything in here beforehand. sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates will do it."

Did you dist-upgrade?

Reply 5 of 13, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's only a temporary fix. Someday I'll have to upgrade my distro and my drivers with it.

What can I do to help identify this bug so it can be fixed by Dosbox or Intel (whatever side this bug come from)?

Reply 6 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Look for SDL...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That this is likely the culprit and not dosbox.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Run other sdl apps, as exult, scummvm...