Revised list of Voodoo games for DOS.

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 118, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shspvr wrote:
There are two type of Games DosGlide, WinGlide What the diff that depend some titles are not "native glide" games 1st example "D […]
Show full quote

There are two type of Games DosGlide, WinGlide
What the diff that depend some titles are not "native glide" games
1st example "DosGlide" carmageddon and "WinGlide" unreal that ture native glide game
2nd example quake or half life that not ture native glide it minigl or what I call a half bake cookie hehe

This list is for DOS Glide games ONLY. So please, no talk about Windows Glide games or miniGL games in this thread.

There will be a fixed Windows Glide list at some point, but in a separate thread.

shspvr wrote:
Some miss one CyberGladiators Formula 1 MDK, 3dfx-patch MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Swiv 3D, European 3dfx-patch Tigersha […]
Show full quote

Some miss one
CyberGladiators
Formula 1
MDK, 3dfx-patch
MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
Swiv 3D, European 3dfx-patch
Tigershark

Confirmed Windows Glide games (confirmed by nGlide Glide wrapper developers). Not for this list.

---------------

shspvr wrote:

DosGlide Only
Deathtrap Dungeon
Hardcore 4x4

Confirmed Windows Glide games (confirmed by nGlide Glide wrapper developers). Not for this list.

---------------

shspvr wrote:
EF2000 EF2000 Tatcom Jetfighter 3 Starfighter Tomb Raider Toshinden VR Soccer '96 Whiplash […]
Show full quote

EF2000
EF2000 Tatcom
Jetfighter 3
Starfighter
Tomb Raider
Toshinden
VR Soccer '96
Whiplash

Already on the list.

---------------

shspvr wrote:

Dreadnought

Cancelled, as already mentioned.

---------------

shspvr wrote:

HyperBlade
Scorched Planet
SimCopter, 3dfx-patch

Already on my "List of Windows Glide games to be verified" here:
Do these Windows Glide games exist?
^^ NOTE that this thread isn't about listing the verified games (yet) so nothing needs to be ADDED from this list, just subtracted.

---------------

shspvr wrote:

Descent 2: The Infinite Abyss

Okay, I'll grant you that, since I'm trying to list the expansion packs too (when the 3dfx patch is applicable, etc.)

---------------

shspvr wrote:

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (I look in to this one I think my brother has a CD of it)

Direct3D game.

---------------

shspvr wrote:
Chasm Reloaded Resident Evil VR Golf Virtua Fighter 2 […]
Show full quote

Chasm
Reloaded
Resident Evil
VR Golf
Virtua Fighter 2

Only ones that still need verified from your contribution.

For the most part, this wasn't helpful, shspvr. Trying to come up with a complete and verified list of games and game demos here that were DOS Glide, not talk about rumored games from ancient unverified sources.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 102 of 118, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chasm is not glide
http://web.archive.org/web/20041020140543/htt … om/games/chasm/

reloaded is not glide

resident evil is a windows game and D3D

vr golf is not a dos glide game

virtua fighter 2 is a windows game

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 105 of 118, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

True, Actua golf 2 was on the pc but its a windows game

although actua golf is on stiletos list
Do these Windows Glide games exist?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 106 of 118, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is why I am adding only the games tested by myself to my list.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 107 of 118, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, just saw that.

Resident Evil is confirmed Direct3D by nGlide authors. It may have a tweak for 3dfx, but doesn't use Glide.

Re-Loaded is confirmed VESA/SVGA, and also capable of being patched for PowerVR (SGL) PCX1/2.

Virtua Fighter 2 - also a Direct3D game, never available for 3dfx Glide.

VR Golf - also called Actua Golf. On my other "debunk these Glide games list".

Stiletto

Reply 108 of 118, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

This is why I am adding only the games tested by myself to my list.

Indeed.

The first post in this thread has an updated list of DOS Glide games that essentially matches your list and robertmo's list.

Stiletto

Reply 109 of 118, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never seen Chasm have 3D support period, although it was marketed for having so.

Isn't Scorched Planet also for DOS? I remember that game having many, MANY vendor specific versions, though i'm not too sure if it had a Glide DOS version.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 110 of 118, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Isn't Scorched Planet also for DOS? I remember that game having many, MANY vendor specific versions, though i'm not too sure if it had a Glide DOS version.

Mobygames says it's for Windows, but that doesn't mean anything. It is currently in my "debunk these Windows Glide games list." 😀

Stiletto

Reply 111 of 118, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scorched Planet has support for Glide, Speedy3D and Mystique. The Voodoo and Mystique versions are Windows95, but the Rendition version is DOS.

Have been trying to get the Rendition version running, but to no luck 🙁
DOS 16M error: Involuntary switch to realmode it says

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 112 of 118, by Eric-tile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope I'm not too late to this thread. I have several questions about the list in the first post.

1) Can all of these games be played in pure/real DOS or do some of them require Windows 9x?

2) Aside from Dreams to Reality, do any of these games have issues on a Voodoo2?

3) What is the significance of the static/dynamic links mentioned next to some of the games?

Reply 113 of 118, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eric-tile wrote:

3) What is the significance of the static/dynamic links mentioned next to some of the games?

Static = less compatibility with later Voodoo cards as they have a old, Voodoo Graphics-only GLIDE.OVL library linked directly into the binary.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 114 of 118, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, statically linked glide = NO compatibility with later Voodoo cards. Even Voodoo2 is having troubles with these games. Voodoo3/Rush/Banshee and later can't run these games at all.
Currently the only easy way to run Battle Arena Toshinden/EF 2000: Tactcom/Fatal Racing etc - DOSBox with glide patch in emu mode. But this solution is EPICALLY SLOW.

1) Can ... played in pure DOS

Yes. The only trouble - several of the games in the list (Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. 2.0, Nascar Racing 1999 Edition, Pyl, Redguard) aren't having DOS installers. So - you must install the game in Windows 9x, but later you can run this game in pure DOS. EF 2000: Tactcom 3dfx patch is also Windows only but can be installed in WfW 3.11.

Reply 116 of 118, by Eric-tile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do any of the games in this list have performance issues with an original Voodoo card? I really only want a Voodoo card for the DOS Glide games, and I'm not sure which would be better, a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2.

Reply 118 of 118, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Eric-tile wrote:

Static = less compatibility with later Voodoo cards as they have a old, Voodoo Graphics-only GLIDE.OVL library linked directly into the binary.

Dynamic linked games can be used with wrappers like the original dgVoodoo 1.x and Glidos in 32-bit Windows command prompt, Gulikoza's DOSBox Glide patch, etc.

Static linked games can (for now) only be used with the original hardware or with kekko's DOSBox Voodoo emulation patch.*

*There was talk at one point of someone figuring out the static linked library's entry points, etc. and writing per-game patches that can stub in a wrapper to replace it, but no one's done that so far.

[EDIT] I've taken over the first post in this thread, it was mostly my stuff anyways 🤣

Stiletto