VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking for a built list indexing games by those. If it also listed by other hardware requirements would be a bonus.

If not we should break out excel or something good for it. Any hints on programs that should use for it?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 3 of 33, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Half-Life is supporting glide through MiniGL. So - get your's heck back, please.
Far Cry - d3d.
Plus - mobygames isn't good answer for the topic question. Too many errors.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2013-03-04, 14:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 33, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Why the heck is Half-Life listed in every Glide list imagniable??

Also, I doubt Far Cry is a Glide game...

First version Half-Life supporting it (pre-Steam version which it has different menu style). But later Half-Life (Steam) doesn't support it.

Far Cry is Glide game? IMPOSSIBRU!!!

Reply 6 of 33, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

d1stortion is right half life supports opengl through mingl not glide

to the original poster, you do realise this list would contain over 10,000 games If you want to do it feel free

Last edited by Davros on 2013-03-04, 14:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 33, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ leileilol

That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Was hoping for charts where you could focus or rearrange a specific row for say what DX version a game needed.

I found google document spreadsheet. I'm gonna start working on atleast the games I own/play. Dunno how I would go about sharing it yet or putting it public to others can add to it. xD

Here is a quick pic with about half hours work:
gamelistr.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT: Sorry about cropped pic, I'm working with a 19" monitor at 1024x768 🙁

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 9 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FarCry supports OpenGL too btw.

But some Voodoo fans are a bit.. delusioned and want to stick Glide to everything to make their voodoo obsession appear more holy 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 33, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

No it does not... 3dfx MiniGL =/= Glide...

Davros wrote:

A word of clarification, because some of you don't seem to understand what 3dfx-MiniGL is.

3dfx-MiniGL is an OpenGL->Glide API wrapper, designed by 3dfx Interactive. Nothing less, nothing more.
Its target API is Glide and source API is OpenGL.

Several games were bundled with this wrapper: Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Hexen 2, Quake 2, Sin, CIA Operative, Daikatana, Kingpin, Gunman Chronicles, Heretic 2, Interplay Sports Baseball Edition 2000.

That's why they are present on many Glide games lists and that's why they work with Glide wrappers.

Reply 11 of 33, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Err... Interplay Sports Baseball Edition 2000? Well, I will check this...

P.S. No glide support in the retail version. No glide*.dll dependency in .exe and .dll. So - only the demo is using 3dfx miniGL and glide compatible.

Reply 13 of 33, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you see the difference between directly accessing the Glide files and going through the wrapping stage? I didn't argue with MiniGL wrapping to Glide (their OpenGL ICD is probably analogical), but it still isn't the same and those games shouldn't be in Glide only lists. It may matter for your Glide wrapper support list, but not for a list which aims to precisely specify the games that use the Glide API.

Reply 14 of 33, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
[Zeus] wrote:
A word of clarification, because some of you don't seem to understand what 3dfx-MiniGL is. […]
Show full quote
d1stortion wrote:

Davros wrote:

A word of clarification, because some of you don't seem to understand what 3dfx-MiniGL is.

3dfx-MiniGL is an OpenGL->Glide API wrapper, designed by 3dfx Interactive. Nothing less, nothing more.

Several games were bundled with this wrapper: Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Hexen 2, Quake 2, Sin, CIA Operative, Daikatana, Kingpin, Gunman Chronicles, Heretic 2, Interplay Sports Baseball Edition 2000.

That's why they are present on many Glide games lists and that's why they work with Glide wrappers.

I wonder though, what is the point of playing MiniGL-compatible games through a Glide wrapper on a modern system with true OpenGL support?

Reply 15 of 33, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
[Zeus] wrote:
A word of clarification, because some of you don't seem to understand what 3dfx-MiniGL is. […]
Show full quote
d1stortion wrote:

Davros wrote:

I wonder though, what is the point of playing MiniGL-compatible games through a Glide wrapper on a modern system with true OpenGL support?

Yo dawg, we heard you like 3dfx... 😁

Reply 16 of 33, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Do you see the difference between directly accessing the Glide files and going through the wrapping stage? I didn't argue with MiniGL wrapping to Glide (their OpenGL ICD is probably analogical), but it still isn't the same and those games shouldn't be in Glide only lists. It may matter for your Glide wrapper support list, but not for a list which aims to precisely specify the games that use the Glide API.

Of course there's a difference, but like I said, 3dfx-MiniGL was bundled with retail version of the game, thus it allowed you to play in Glide mode at that time.

I agree that 3dfx-MiniGL games shouldn't be called Glide-native games, but saying that HL doesn't use Glide API at all is also inappropriate. That's why I'm not surprised if I'm seeing it on a list.

But you know what's funny? While we're discussing about HL and its non-native Glide support, FarCry is still on MobyGames list. 😵

Reply 17 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know, technically, every 3dfx ICD for GL (not just the MiniGL), HAL for Direct3D all redirect to Glide, so by your logic, every game that has the slightest chance of running on a Voodoo card would be classified as a "Glide game"

which is just wrong

Point is, if game doesn't have a link to a glide library from its binary (as opposed to linking to d3dim.dll/d3drm.dll/opengl32.dll/3dfxvgl.dll like these alleged "Glide" games), it's not a Glide game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 33, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can config the game so it will want glide2x.dll/glide3x.dll/glide.dll/glide.ovl to run - it is the glide game. Period. All others points of view may go and screw youself. 😀
The exception is - if the game is supporting glide not through official patches. Like CART Precision Racing, Baseball Edition 2000 or Esoteria.

Reply 19 of 33, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

all redirect to Glide

The thing is they don't. OpenGL(original)/DDraw/D3D stuff isn't redirected to Glide (check DLLs' dependencies).
The only driver that wraps a subset of OpenGL functions to Glide is 3dfx-MiniGL which later evolved into 3dfx-ICD.

leileilol wrote:

which is just wrong

You know what's wrong? Your tone...

I'm not here to change your classification methods. I explained what is 3dfx-MiniGL, why HL is present on several Glide games list and why I'm not surprised with that fact. That's all. 😒