VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been running this Win 3.1x program for a while and it used to work flawlessly until I reinstalled Windows. When I tried getting it to work again it just crashed my PC when executing it. Now every time I start it, it does the same thing. Anything I can do about it?

Reply 2 of 13, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you get any error message(s) when it crashes, or is it a complete lockup?

I myself run Cakewalk Professional v3.01 under Windows XP Pro w/SP3 with no problems.

Note that occasionally though, after running CWP once; Sometimes I have to 'end task' on "wowexec.exe" and "ntvdm.exe" to prevent CWP from locking up the next time that I run it (never figured why I have to do that though).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 4 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah i guess reinstall may help.

By the way does Cakewalk Professional v3.01 work for anyone properly with mt-32/cm-32l modules/emulators(munt)? For example does it play enclosed file properly for you?

Attachments

• Filename
    TFX.zip
    File size
    10.34 KiB
    Downloads
    242 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 13, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder how I didn't think of that, thanks guys. I reinstalled the program and it works now.

@robertmo: Sorry, I don't own a real MT-32/CM-XX so I can't tell you if that plays properly 😒

Reply 7 of 13, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, I haven't thought about that.

It is able to open it and it recognises the SysEx enclosed, but when played back I don't think it sounds right, so I attached a 2-min recording so you could see. Might be emulation issues that cause it to sound this way.

Attachments

• Filename
    TFX_cut.ogg
    File size
    2.94 MiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File license

Reply 8 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sounds the same for me on munt (real modules have similar problems)

so it is not emulation problem

actually you can confirm that yourself if you play this song in munt player or winamp or gsplay in dosbox (or in gsplay in windows with vdmsound). They all play the file properly

actually I even tried Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 and Cakewalk Sonar X2 (build 308) - they have less problems but the most obvious one is still there - the song is played with tempo 100 instead of 120

Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 also has like half second silent brakes from time to time (they are visible on tracks graphical representation too)

Though pro audio and sonar play the song more properly if you start the song the second time in the player (don't know why).

So it looks Cakewalk software is useless with mt-32/cm-32l midi files (or i just don't know how to configure it)

It is somehow strange that so popular software is not able to handle popular midi files of that time that are handled properly by smaller software.

Any old Cakewalk user has any experiences from the past?

Reply 10 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

can anyone check this dune 2 song with real mt-32 module? play it a few times in different players to check whether you get the same problem as me - at the end the phaser guitar sometimes gets very loud. cakewalk 3.01 playes it ok most times so check any other player 😉 almost all players always play it wrong.
gsplay.exe playes it wrong every second time
(you play the .mid with sysx only once and mt-32 keeps the settings all the time)

Attachments

• Filename
    mt32dune2.zip
    File size
    9.31 KiB
    Downloads
    197 downloads
    File license

Reply 11 of 13, by ultramars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
i'm happy to have found this thread, because this is exactly what i'd like to do: cakewalk professional 2.0 or 3.0 in windows XP.

If any of you still around, i would like to ask: anyone has the user manual for cakewalk professional 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 please?

i could also use a copy of cakewalk professional 1.0

I've just ordered the paper version of the manual in french for version 1.0; that's all what i could find so far, and even though i can read french, i could only download the program in version 2 & 3 in english, so it's gonna be a bit hectic 😄

Reply 12 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ultramars wrote on 2021-04-30, 15:13:

i'm happy to have found this thread, because this is exactly what i'd like to do: cakewalk professional 2.0 or 3.0 in windows XP.

If any of you still around, i would like to ask: anyone has the user manual for cakewalk professional 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 please?

Well, do you need the manual, or do you need to run these programs in XP? If you are trying to run these programs in XP, then what have you tried so far? What error messages have you seen? I doubt the manual will help you there if the programs were released before XP.

Reply 13 of 13, by ultramars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-30, 17:34:

Well, do you need the manual, or do you need to run these programs in XP?

i need both !
i'm glad to hear that:

rfnagel wrote on 2013-03-15, 02:17:

I myself run Cakewalk Professional v3.01 under Windows XP Pro w/SP3 with no problems.

because if i can run cakewalk in XP, that'll give me possibilities to use it on a laptop to play live.

Otherwise, even if it was only possible to run it in win 3.1x or 9x, i still want to use cakewalk pro audio, because that is one of the rare program that could play midi sequences + trigger samples on a PC in 1992 as far as i know, so yea, i'd really like the manual for version 2 or 3 since i have downloaded those versions.
If i could have cakewalk pro audio for windows version 1, that'd be great as well, so i could be making music exactly like in 1992 😀