VOGONS

First post, by donnerknall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I managed to get Waye Gretzky Hockey 2 running with the hkyfix.com created by Peter Ferrie.

Unfortunately this does not look like the game I know from my youth.
Graphic is CGA (see attached screenshots) and I am missing stuff like changing jersey colors.
Even Gretzky Hockey 1 looks way better!

Is anybody playing this game and got it running correctly?
Do I have to change some settings in dosbox (I use 0.74)?

Any help welcome, thanks a lot.
Joachim

btw. has anyone got a manual for the pass codes? (I already guessed 2 of them, but it would be easier with a manual)

Attachments

• wgh2_menu.JPG
    Filename
    wgh2_menu.JPG
    File size
    72.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    menu
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • wgh2_match.JPG
    Filename
    wgh2_match.JPG
    File size
    67.34 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    match
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Besides telling you the answer to the copy protection question, the manual also tells you the game's command line parameters:

-c (CGA, default)
-e (EGA)
-t (Tandy)
-fvd1 (if Fight Video Disk 1 is installed)
-adlib
-sblaster

Note that the SB sound has some annoying pops; too much DC offset in certain samples.

@DOSBox devs: this game will work without needing any kind of fix with the cputype=386_prefetch setting if INT 2 and INT 3 don't have the same segment. It's anti-debugger weirdness in the game's encryption wrapper. The game also wants INT 1 and INT 3 to point at an IRET; however, instead of crashing or aborting if the vectors don't point at an IRET, it just looks for an IRET in the BIOS ROM segment and then points them there. ;)

Reply 5 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try The Patcher 6.5, it seems to have a way to bypass copy protection for this game.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 7, by chipschap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's more complex than I expected. You need both Patcher 6.5 and hkyfix.com. Here's what you do. Run patcher in the game directory. This produces hky.com. Now use a binary editor (I use 'beav' under linux) and edit hkyfix.com. Within the executable, change the string hky.exe to hky.com. This is very easy as the binary is extremely short.

In DosBox, be sure you run hkyfix.com. I use the parameters -e -adlib. I also run it at about 1000 cycles. (The sound is still choppy though). What happens is that hkyfix runs and takes care of the prefetch and int 2/3 problems, it calls hky.com which eliminates copy protection, which in turn calls hky.exe to run the game.

The only thing missing for me at this point is something to tell me the controls in the game itself 🙁