VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps that particular slocket doesn't cut the mustard ...

... Others which have failed Intel's internal tests, according to the document are Azza's 370 CPU Card 3.2, Fastfame's 370SPC rev 1.0, Epox' EP-S1C revs 0.5 and 0.6, FIC's CK71 rev M99A05, 2theMax' EP-S1C rev 0.5, Eagles CM-1 and lastly the Super Slocket III CPU Card rev 1.0, produced by that top firm Unknown ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/03/26/intel … _slottosockets/

Here there are two Tualatin success stories on P3V4X mobo, one with MSI 6905 slocket (the one I use) and another with Iwill Slotket ver 2.

Let the air flow!

Reply 21 of 28, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've purchased recently two fool-proof guaranteed working Tualatin motherboards on eBay, specifically two brand new in box ECS P6S5AT that I can use even with DDR memory.

I haven't received them yet, and was wondering if it was feasible that they support more than 1 GB memory. In any case, they seem to pop up quite frequently on German sellers according to "finished items" search.

I never had any luck with slockets. The last PIII I've left to test with is an IBM PC 300PL one, which supported FSB 133 MHz. on slot 1, even if I don't know if it includes the necessary VRM. Never managed to grab one of those expensive slotckets that came with their own VRM, although I did see one working on an old motherboard and a Celeron Tualatin.

I have, however, a healthy quantity of P3 Tualatin 1.4 GHz. SMP CPUs that I would like to put into some use, so I decided to buy a couple of boards and have them doing something; even basic word processing. My memories of Tualatin processors are that they were CPUs from another planet: putting a 933 MHz. Coppermine besides them was almost an insult and my very expensive but useless Pentium 4 1.7 GHz. with Rambus wasn't able to cope with tasks as efficently as the Tualatins.

Reply 22 of 28, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess all I can do then is try the generic slocket mod, otherwise it'll just be a Coppermine only slocket while I track down one capable of hosting a Tualatin.

Reply 24 of 28, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TELVM wrote:

Here there are two Tualatin success stories on P3V4X mobo, one with MSI 6905 slocket (the one I use) and another with Iwill Slotket ver 2.

Did you do the full MSI 6905 mod to your slocket or just the cpu side?

Reply 25 of 28, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
JaNoZ wrote:

I tried several BX boards and a P2 350 @ 466 for some time until my hdd got corrupted due to the insane out of spec buses.

And this 😁

Simply press F1 for Hdlp! 😁

Reply 26 of 28, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No luck with the 4th attempt, I guess that either:

a) The slocket is truly incompatible with Tualatins
b) A + It fried the CPU
c) I screwed up somewhere
d) B + C

Reply 27 of 28, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheLazy1 wrote:

Did you do the full MSI 6905 mod to your slocket or just the cpu side?

Just modified the Tualatin CPU (isolate AJ3, AK4, AN3 & bridge AK4-AN11). The MSI 6905 slocket remains as is, no mod was required, but must be version 2.0 or 2.3 to work with Cumines and Tuallys, previous versions wouldn't cut it.

8006195.jpg 8662843.jpg

http://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/ms6905_tualatin_mod.html

http://www.msi-computer.co.jp/manual/6905Masterv10.pdf

Let the air flow!