VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2162 of 53209, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw that videoblaster, does it playback MPEG videoes & VCDs?

Reply 2163 of 53209, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

I think that is its main function, but I'll see when I get the manual + drivers. Very hard to find much info about it online.

It is a curiosity to add to my 486 and full length ISA cards are always fun 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2164 of 53209, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

I think that is its main function, but I'll see when I get the manual + drivers. Very hard to find much info about it online.

What is a reasonable price to pay for a CT3980? no boxes nor stuff, just the card

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 2165 of 53209, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

With the addition of a Phone Blaster and a 3DO Blaster, you would complete the entire familiy 🤣

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 2166 of 53209, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
vetz wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

With the addition of a Phone Blaster and a 3DO Blaster, you would complete the entire familiy 🤣

All you would need then is Master Blaster! ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2167 of 53209, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Works very well and this is likely the way I'm going to proceed with my retro time-machines.

Nice! This is what I'm hoping to do as well with the IDE-toSata adapters I ordered...

Reply 2168 of 53209, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting my hands on this was an unlikely coincidence. I’d bid on the SCC-1 in the ‘eBay auctions that might interest you’ thread not expecting to win and didn’t, and then I happened to click on the ‘other items like this’ link in eBay – which I never do – and it brought up an ‘pickup only’ auction for an SC-55 in Melbourne. Melbourne’s a big place so I enquired as to where it was exactly, and it turned out to be 5 mins down the road from me. And it also happened that it was my stay-at-home-and-look-after-the-kids-day, so I ‘bought it now’ for 75 bucks and picked it up an hour later. I love hardware in boxes with manual and after a quick clean it looks great, “as new” would be pushing it but it’s close.

IMG_3436_zps2202885e.jpg

IMG_3439_zpse6a9328e.jpg

IMG_3443_zpsc8f4e180.jpg

And I picked this up for a couple of dollars recently (plus about 20 bucks postage), a CH Flightstick Pro. It’s also in great condition and works like a charm.

IMG_3446_zpsd4216f89.jpg

Reply 2169 of 53209, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can an SC-55 be used in place of an MT-32?

Reply 2171 of 53209, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Can an SC-55 be used in place of an MT-32?

It can be put in "MT-32 mode". But only games that use the default MT-32 configuration will sound correct with it. The Secret of Monkey Island is one.

And there are a few others, but none of the "real" MT-32 games like Space Quest 4, Wing Commander or Fate of Atlantis will sound correct as they re-configure the MT-32 to the max 😀

badmofo wrote:

Getting my hands on this was an unlikely coincidence. I’d bid on the SCC-1 in the ‘eBay auctions that might interest you’ thread not expecting to win and didn’t, and then I happened to click on the ‘other items like this’ link in eBay – which I never do – and it brought up an ‘pickup only’ auction for an SC-55 in Melbourne. Melbourne’s a big place so I enquired as to where it was exactly, and it turned out to be 5 mins down the road from me. And it also happened that it was my stay-at-home-and-look-after-the-kids-day, so I ‘bought it now’ for 75 bucks and picked it up an hour later. I love hardware in boxes with manual and after a quick clean it looks great, “as new” would be pushing it but it’s close.

Very nice! Enjoy it, it's a great unit...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2172 of 53209, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SC-88 has a CM-64 mode, is that of any use for games? Or in other words, are there games that use the extra sounds but stick to the default MT-32 config otherwise?

Reply 2174 of 53209, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally I've been looking for this baby at a decent price for a time now!

Just bought this Roland Mt-32 from a guy in my hometown. 50€
The module shows signs of use but all in all it looks pretty good.

I know is not the cheapest price, but still, is better than the ones I had looked at before. AT least I know this one works perfectly!

cimg6223r.jpg

Reply 2176 of 53209, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:

What exactly does that thing do? What kind of device is it?

Music+Games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32 😀

Reply 2177 of 53209, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

What exactly does that thing do? What kind of device is it?

Oh_boy_here_we_go.jpg

*fixed*

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2178 of 53209, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NitroX infinity wrote:

Is this considered retro?

Got it to put on my Asus P4P800-E Deluxe for benchmarking. So glad I found it 😀

Fun fact: you can actually downclock it(Dothan cpu) all the way to 6x 100mhz bus, 600mhz 'P4'... 😁

Reply 2179 of 53209, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

The SC-88 has a CM-64 mode, is that of any use for games? Or in other words, are there games that use the extra sounds but stick to the default MT-32 config otherwise?

Not familiar with that unit, but the main difference with the CM-64 is the integrated CM-32P module with PCM samples. So I guess it has thee samples built in!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel