VOGONS

Common searches

Motorhead

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 64, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only sound in the intro - known WinXp glitch for this game.
The music in this game is in audio tracks. Maybe MS have killed MCI interface completely in Win7?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 43 of 64, by CARLITOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, now I try to mount the game in virtual drive with Daemon Tools.

First, Daemon Tools only views a .MDS file, not the .MDF I've been using yesterday.

Installation normally, compatibility with W98.... Ok, all fine.
Apply the 3.0 patch with compatiblity with W98. Fine.

But when open the game, I see intro video, press ENTER, sounds Music!.... But... NO MENU .

I tryed to move through this invisble menu, but doesn't sounds any sound.

I press ENTER again, and game crashes 🙁

Reply 45 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CARLITOS wrote:
Well, now I try to mount the game in virtual drive with Daemon Tools. […]
Show full quote

Well, now I try to mount the game in virtual drive with Daemon Tools.

First, Daemon Tools only views a .MDS file, not the .MDF I've been using yesterday.

Installation normally, compatibility with W98.... Ok, all fine.
Apply the 3.0 patch with compatiblity with W98. Fine.

But when open the game, I see intro video, press ENTER, sounds Music!.... But... NO MENU .

I tryed to move through this invisble menu, but doesn't sounds any sound.

I press ENTER again, and game crashes 🙁

Did you apply the Geforce patch as well?

Reply 46 of 64, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't even get to the main menu of the game.
Running Win7 x64 Radeon 5770.
Using glidewrapper and compat for win98 and patched to 3.0.
Will keep trying

Edit
Anyone tried running it through dosbox?

Reply 47 of 64, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If all else fails it does work fine in WINE

This is exactly how i got it working in WINE

1. Mount the image with CDemu (Linux version of Daemon Tools).
2. In the virtual drive, go to mhead\Motor\disk1 and run Setup.exe in Win95 compatibility mode.
3. Follow the installation instructions, click on No to the Directx and Adobe Acrobat installations (too old versions anyway).
4. Run the Motorhead Patch 3.0 installer (mhp30.exe) in Win95 Compatibility mode. When asked for the game version, pick "Creative Labs Bundle". Follow the instructions and the game should be updated to version 3.0.
5. Open the file Motorhead_3-1_OEM_No-CD.7z. Extract the fixed exe (motor.exe) to the game's root directory.
Should be C:\Program Files\Digital Illusions\Motorhead. Overwrite the original.
6. Run motor.exe. The game should work correctly without the CD, although you still need to have the mounted image (or burn the image and have it in your CD/DVD drive) to be able to hear the ingame music and watch the videos.
It's not required to run the game EXE in compatibility mode but if you have problems with it you can try running in Win95 Compatibility mode.

For someone who was worrying about the mdf format, don't it supports games with a data/audio track it's iso that doesn't. I have my orignal game as an mdf and it works fine

Reply 48 of 64, by Norrin78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm having troubles to make Motorhead work on windows 7 / 32 bits in D3D mode.
I installed the game, patched it to 3.0 + Geforce Hud fix. Then I have to use DXGL to make it work correctly otherwise game crashes after intro video.
In graphics options, I can choose from DI's Software and Primary display driver (twice?!? wonder if it's normal to have it twice mentionned).
If I choose software mode, game runs fine.
If I choose primary display (D3D), game loads but crashes before launching the race (black screen).
I tried Microsoft compatibility manager but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
I have an AMD card (HD 7970) and I'm wondering if it all doesn't come from this (and catalyst driver, I have the latest WHQL).

I tried nglide, but I am not completely satisfied (no AA and HUD is streched in full HD mode which is quite ugly). I would like to run it in full HD with AA and every options maxed out (stil a beautiful game).

Any help would be greatly appreciated 😀

Thank you

Reply 50 of 64, by Norrin78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and thank you for your help.
Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I tried Bladeforce method (with another image of the game and Daemon tools), but it didn't work either.

Same problem: I can run the game in software's mode dut not in D3D. Frustrating. Maybe it is something between DXGL and catalyst driver.

Which graphic card do you have? nVidia + latest drivers? Are you using DXGL?

Anyone with an ATi card?

I'll keep digging...

edit: did you use Microsoft Application Compatibility Tool Kit (like mentionned in page 2 of this thread)?

Reply 52 of 64, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got it running on Win8.1 64bit. Installer from CD was a bit of a pain, as all the .exe files need Win95 compatibility (mtest.exe I think is the main culprit!). Once installed, then the version 3.0 patch proved painful (from http://mhtools.knoware.nl/files.htm), as it kept moaning about Win95 compatibility. Eventually I replaced the setup.exe with the updated 32bit InstallShield 5 one from http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988 and either that and/or Win95 compatibility eventually got the patch installed. Then I added the Nvidia HUD patched exe

Then the game worked fine, the only caveat is 2560x1440 on my screen wouldn't work, but at 1920x1080 the game is stretched, so it's better to run 1920x1440 for 4:3 correct aspect ratio. However in Direct3D (which looks best with the "Glenz" reflection effect), the framerate was limited to 30fps. So I used the ACT fix from http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630 and now it's gorgeous at 144fps!

p.s. no menu corruption for me on Nvidia 980, although I did get an error message when exiting the game, so I ran it once with Win95 compatibility, then exited, disabled compatibility back to normal and all was fine (maybe Windows remembers part of the compatibility settings, I'm not sure, seen it with other games too!).

That's my findings anyway.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 53 of 64, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Dunno why you ask that. The only other thing it could be with that name is some lame band.

Motorhead, lame?!?! Well, they're not my favorite band, but I wouldn't call them lame. "Ace of Spades" is a classic tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK7PCO6T0M

Reply 54 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Dunno why you ask that. The only other thing it could be with that name is some lame band.

Motorhead, lame?!?! Well, they're not my favorite band, but I wouldn't call them lame. "Ace of Spades" is a classic tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK7PCO6T0M

Pay no attention to that. He just misspelled the band leader's name. 🤣

Reply 56 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Sorry, I forgot the umlaut. It's Motörhead. 🤣

Hey, I finally figured out how to set up a compose key! Linux ftw. 😁

I was refering to "lame" being said instead of "Lemmy", but ok... 😎

Reply 57 of 64, by Boxy Brown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, need some help trying to make this game run, any help would be appreciated.

I recently ordered this game, since I played this a ton as a kid and wanted to play it again.
The only problem is that when I run the game the main menu is in a tiny box in the top left side of my screen that is just a bunch of garbled textures. Now, I already have it patched with both the 3.0 patch and the GeForce patch and ran it with triple buffering and no v-sync (since the PC Gaming Wiki suggests that).
(Edit 2) Apparently the game is running in 3DFX mode through NGlide, still no difference with the menu unfortunately.
I am trying to run this on a Windows 7 64-bit computer (latest patches/service pack) with an Intel I5 processor and a GeForce 660.

EDIT: I forgot a couple of things. The game runs fine one when I am able to start a race, music plays, and I am able to finish a race with out a crash. Also the starting FMV is just a black screen with sound and if I skip it a weird blue and orange screen shows up in a tiny box in the top left. If I alt-tab from it my Nvidia drivers crash.

Last edited by Boxy Brown on 2015-04-03, 01:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 64, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Just got it running on Win8.1 64bit. Installer from CD was a bit of a pain, as all the .exe files need Win95 compatibility (mtes […]
Show full quote

Just got it running on Win8.1 64bit. Installer from CD was a bit of a pain, as all the .exe files need Win95 compatibility (mtest.exe I think is the main culprit!). Once installed, then the version 3.0 patch proved painful (from http://mhtools.knoware.nl/files.htm), as it kept moaning about Win95 compatibility. Eventually I replaced the setup.exe with the updated 32bit InstallShield 5 one from http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988 and either that and/or Win95 compatibility eventually got the patch installed. Then I added the Nvidia HUD patched exe

Then the game worked fine, the only caveat is 2560x1440 on my screen wouldn't work, but at 1920x1080 the game is stretched, so it's better to run 1920x1440 for 4:3 correct aspect ratio. However in Direct3D (which looks best with the "Glenz" reflection effect), the framerate was limited to 30fps. So I used the ACT fix from http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630 and now it's gorgeous at 144fps!

p.s. no menu corruption for me on Nvidia 980, although I did get an error message when exiting the game, so I ran it once with Win95 compatibility, then exited, disabled compatibility back to normal and all was fine (maybe Windows remembers part of the compatibility settings, I'm not sure, seen it with other games too!).

That's my findings anyway.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm trying to get this to work too. I have the 30fps issue but the 'ACT fix' mentioned doesn't seem to be there anymore. Does anyone have this backed up? Thx