VOGONS

First post, by coltrane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you take some screenshots from the gamesin DosBox, the screen becomes flattened, with wrong aspect ratio. If I try to use any photo editor to fix that, the image loss it´s original pixel quality/definition. Is there any way to fix the screen capture engine, so we could take screenshots as they really looks in the monitor display??

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
RColtrane

Reply 1 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

switch your windows desktop resolution to 8:5 - then you will see the screens properly

Reply 2 of 8, by coltrane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

:blah: Sorry but I think that you don´t undestood my question. It doesn´t matter how my Windows screen resolution is configured; I don´t want to change my hardware configuration. All that I want is that the screen capture engine take the shots with the proper aspect ratio (It means screens like you see in your video monitor), without flattering it! That´s it.

Reply 3 of 8, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not gonna happen, the screenshots are taken correctly your just viewing them in a screen with the wrong aspect ratio, and you must be using some crappy image program if it can't accurately resize an image with good filtering.

Reply 4 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn´t matter how my Windows screen resolution is configured

And have you checked those resolutions:
1920x1200
1600x1024
1280x768
? 😉

And just as a test check these ones too 😉 :
848x480
1088x612
1280x720
1600x900
1360x768
1920x1080

Reply 5 of 8, by coltrane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah. Maybe my Photoshop 6.0 is a crappy program. I´ll try another one...

About flattered captures... I can send you a captured screen if you want to take a look on what I´m talking about. So all of you can compare it to your captures to see if it´s producing the same results. Maybe the game I´m taking it uses some kind of tweaked video mode.

About Robertmo´s funny list of resolutions... :pppt:

Reply 6 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Couldn't you just use alt-prtscr when running in a window? Doesn't that do the trick? Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

JAL

Reply 7 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

Most DOS games used this resolution : 320x200 (that is 8:6 image aspect ratio as said robertmo)
As almost all cathodic displays, VGA monitors had a 4:3 image aspect ratio. So you will have square pixels in 320x240, 640x480, 800x600, etc.
NOT for 320x200.
So either you use a 8:6 aspect ratio resolution, either you scale up the Y axis of your screenshots by 1.2 . And with Photoshop don't forget to first go RGB before scaling up with bicubic !!!

Reply 8 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

sorry, it shoul read 8:5 instead of 8:6 of course in my above post ...