VOGONS

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I currently have a Voodoo2 8mb card installed in my PC system but i now have a Voodoo2 12mb. Is it just a case of installing the 12mb card in place of the 8mb card in and thats it? Or do i need to install/reinstall software? I have the lastest glide version.

Regards

Reply 2 of 11, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No need to reinstall drivers; just swap the boards. With the right motherboard and latest FastVoodoo2 drivers you can even SLI them.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 3 of 11, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for the info. 1 problem, the 12mb board seems to be recognised as a 8mb in software! is this normal or is the board actually 8mb? it has 12mb written on the board! it is a maxi gamer 3d2! heres the auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350055907833?ssPage … 984.m1497.l2649

Reply 4 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CU_AMiGA wrote:

thanks for the info. 1 problem, the 12mb board seems to be recognised as a 8mb in software! is this normal or is the board actually 8mb? it has 12mb written on the board! it is a maxi gamer 3d2! heres the auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350055907833?ssPage … 984.m1497.l2649

The software tricked me a few times too, it'll report 8mb + 4mb TMU (= 12).

Is that the problem?

Reply 6 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The seller is wiredforservice. Have a look at the prices of his other items, and tell me if you're not gonna cry. But he does have LOTS of classic stuff. I did buy from him initially, before finding out others have been selling cheaper, when they post it at eBay.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 11, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some days I wish I was a hoarder from 2000-2010 and not just a collector, so much stuff has gone up in price since those days.

Didn't you need both V2s to have the same RAM for SLI (or did they just default to 8MB on each card)? My SLI uses matching diamond 12MB cards but I think my only V2 spare is 8MB.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

Some days I wish I was a hoarder from 2000-2010 and not just a collector, so much stuff has gone up in price since those days.

Didn't you need both V2s to have the same RAM for SLI (or did they just default to 8MB on each card)? My SLI uses matching diamond 12MB cards but I think my only V2 spare is 8MB.

I think I remember there being a post about this a while ago and the conclusion was that you can do SLi with an 8mb and a 12mb but the 12mb card will ignore it's additional RAM and function as an 8mb card or something like that.

Reply 10 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Officially, Voodoo2 cards may only be SLI-ed using the same manufacturer's cards with the same amount of RAM. But unofficially, with third party drivers it is possible to mix different card makes with different RAM amount. I'm not sure how well it will perform when compared with an actual twin-SLI or if it will be stable throughout, though.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 11, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

You paid all that for the card? Damn, i'm selling my stuff way below "regular" prices... And it was a bare card too...

I think I now understand why people seem to think of Germany as retro paradise...