VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any of the current gen GPU's have working hardware scaling in Win 7?
I had no luck with my Radeon 6790. It works perfectly in XP, but in 7 it does not scale some games or older BINK videos.
EDIT: I almost forgot, it does not scale ScummVM either; while it scales DosBox.
If I deactivate it, it stretches the games all over my 24 widescreen, and I have to manually switch the screen in 4:3 mode, but at least it scales BINK video. I f.....g hate lazy AMD driver team. WTF, it works in XP. Why can't they make it work in 7?

I intend to get an upgrade (mid-to-high range) next gen GPU when they appear later this year.
Does hardware scaling work with nVidia GPU's? If yes, I will switch back to nVidia, after 5 years and 2 Radeon HDs.

Last edited by fillosaurus on 2013-05-24, 18:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I said, it does not scale BINK videos. Shows them small and centered. In games like Homeworld and Star Wars: KoTOR 2. In Kotor it does not scale the screen either, for example if I select 1280x1024 it shows both vertical and horizontal borders; same with ScummVM. In Homeworld, same resolution, it scales ok.
In XP everything works at it should, both videos and game graphics are scaled properly.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 3 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some reason the 'use gpu scaling' option's grayed out in my ccc, which sucks as I use my monitor's native res for the desktop and sometimes play 4:3-only games and I apparently can not use GPU scaling for them to have the correct aspect and pixel size unless I set my desktop to that 4:3 resolution and turn on GPU scaling.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@F2bnp
My friend, I am not Google challenged. I tried every possible solution I found on the net, and still have that problem.

Reply 7 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Radeon HD 4650, and GPU scaling only works for me if my monitor is connected through DVI. HDMI might work as well, but I haven't tried this because my TV does a pretty good job of scaling things on its own. Unfortunately, at the moment I'm stuck with a VGA connection because my father needed to borrow my DVI cable for his new PC, so as a result my older 4:3 games look like crap when they're played in fullscreen. 😜

What I don't get is, why is it so hard to do scaling over a VGA connection? I mean, the way I understand it my GPU is processing the image and spitting it out to my monitor, so why can't it just scale things before the image reaches my monitor?

Reply 8 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use DVI

Reply 9 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it a pure DVI-D cable, or does it carry analog signals as well? Cables that carry analog signals will have a cross-shaped section of pins on one side, while pure DVI-D cables will simply have a horizontal pin in the same spot.

Reply 10 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a DVI-D cable.

Reply 11 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote:

if I select 1280x1024 it shows both vertical and horizontal borders

That IS scaling. To be more precise it sounds like 1:1 pixel mapping.

What scaling option have you ticked in the driver?

I had/have AMD graphics under Windows 7 and no issues with scaling.

When you are on the Windows 7 desktop try out some resolutions like
800 x 600, 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200 (if you have a 1200p screen). What happens?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 14, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

For some reason the 'use gpu scaling' option's grayed out in my ccc, which sucks as I use my monitor's native res for the desktop and sometimes play 4:3-only games and I apparently can not use GPU scaling for them to have the correct aspect and pixel size unless I set my desktop to that 4:3 resolution and turn on GPU scaling.

This is exactly what I have, strange thing is that in Vista it isn't greyed out.
Also Windows 7 has only 720p, 1080p, etc. widescreen resolutions while in Vista/XP you could select ? x ? resolutions.
Now I have to use the TV's scaling to get the correct aspect ratios.

Reply 13 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No problem here - either with HD 5770's in crossfire or a 7870. Currently have Catalyst 13.4 if that helps, Bink or otherwise.. Haven't experienced problems of that sort for some time. However, I keep a bootable XP drive around just because of this sort of problem.

Reply 14 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two separate things that I'm not sure have been mentioned here.

1: Switch to the resolution your game is running at before making any changes. Scaling options WILL be greyed out if you're running in your display's native resolution and not the game's.

Edit: After you have set it, that scaling mode will apply to all games, even if the setting itself is greyed out.

2: While you're in the correct resolution (the one your game is running at), find scaling options, the one that refers to overscan and underscan. If this setting is available for your display, it applies PER RESOLUTION. This is the source of black bars.

And that's why I own a nvidia card 😜