VOGONS

First post, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just assembled a PC with Jetway 531CF motherboard. I added 128MB of SDRAM, a floppy drive and a IDE hard drive. The processor is Pentium MMX 233Mhz and the jumper has been set correctly (3.5 x 66Mhz).

When the PC is powered on, the fan would whirr but the power LED is still off. After around 5 seconds, it turns off by itself. No picture appears on the screen.

BIOS reset does not dix the problem. But if the PC is turned on without the BIOS battery, the PC will constantly turned on and non turning off by itself, but still no pictures appear on the screen and no BIOS beeps are generated.

Reply 1 of 6, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be sure... have you tried running this thing with no drives attached? I'd start with just the motherboard and the CPU to see, if it beeps for missing RAM/GFX.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 6, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried removing the RAM and drives, but still no beeps appear. (The speaker is not defective as it buzzes correctly with another board.) Also tried exchanging the processor with another good one (a Pentium non-MMX 166Mhz) but it still doesnt work.

Any signs of motherboard failure? 😐

Reply 3 of 6, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MatthewBrian wrote:

Tried removing the RAM and drives, but still no beeps appear. (The speaker is not defective as it buzzes correctly with another board.) Also tried exchanging the processor with another good one (a Pentium non-MMX 166Mhz) but it still doesnt work.

Any signs of motherboard failure? 😐

I would say generally when you're not even getting beeps from the motherboard about your RAM missing that there's a good chance it's dead but, just in case, have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Reply 5 of 6, by Automat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, sounds like there is something with the psu. Maybe the board does not report "power good" and because of that, it does not start.
I would ssuggest to try it with another psu. Is the psu, you do use at the moment a modern one? Think about missing power lines, e.g. -5V. I would take a most old ATX psu.

Reply 6 of 6, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PSU is good actually. It is the PSU that comes from my Pentium 4 Northwood build from May 2001. I took it out from the Pentium 4 and use it to power the Jetway. (Just now I tried to restore back the PSU to my Pentium 4 and it works fine).

Currently I dont have any older PSUs, unfortunately. Do my 2002 PSU is 'too new' for that board?