VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes I will 😁 I am so glad that I was even able to get it to run 😁 as for the controls they are very easy once you get used to them (get a gamepad like the gravis gamepad one), RE 1-3 have the same tank controls and even Code Veronica does I think, hell in RE4-5 you are still forced to stand still while shooting 🤣 this was only a test run as I still need a case, soundcard and capture card to actually capture some of this but so far wow yeah the higher resolution and better shadows are superior to the direct 3D I would say.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 21 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well better say nothing about the forced to stand while aiming thing. Cuz they "finally fixed" it in RE6 and if you're a Resident Evil fan you probably know well what a worthless pile of crap that one is. 😀 I played it just recently and couldn't force myself to continue after 30 minutes. Hard to believe this is supposed to be from the same people who created RE4.

Reply 22 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is just the way it looks. You may adjust the brightness settings which will help. On a LCD it looks too bright. It looks better on a CRT monitor as d1stortion have said already. Forcing 24bit color is an option which I haven't tried. You need the reference drivers to access the advanced options for each game with the M3D. Check out:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=488

"PowerVR PCX1 & PCX2 Referencedrivers 4.1.2c1 - Modified by PowerVR Revolution"

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 23 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay thanks a lot :] now I am a lot more smarter regarding the m3D, yeah I was kinda thinking I might be using an LCD and I also know that LCD screens can't display proper "black", the black by LCD screens isnt true black or at least it looks bright, I also noticed that on laptop LED screens, it looks so bright but at least the LEDs kinda dimm, thanks a bunch for the link vetz, I must say I am so happy with the m3D as it really is a great card and just having it in my vintage PC makes me happy 😁 Can you recommend other good PowerVR games ? As for RE6 I have it on steam and yeah it feels so weird but mercenaries is awesome, it has Left 4 Dead characters and the PC version is so much better (at least they got the controls this time right, its so funny that spec ops guys like Chris or Jill handle high tech weapons but are not able to run while shooting hahaha that always bugged me in the previous games).

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 24 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having a Matrox M3D in a fast machine like a Pentium IV can make a good GPU bottleneck for a few 'too fast' games.

Since you're using a Geforce4, you might want to untick that "Use Matrox m3d Hardware" checkbox. That checkbox turns on the Direct3D HAL override which nvidia cards will freak out about, so you're a bit limited in the card's use for Direct3D games at the moment. OpenGL and SGL should still be fine though.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes the 440MX was the only AGP card I had laying around so I tested it with that, I also unchecked the box and tested some older games like Dino Crysis 1 and Resident Evil 1 Direct 3D which ran fine on the 440MX, I plan on getting a Matrox G550 or maybe a Voodoo 2 for this as the Geforce 440 MX doesnt seem too "retro" 😁

Reply 26 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlucarD86 wrote:

Can you recommend other good PowerVR games ?

The supported list is here:

Mechwarrior 2, Tomb Raider, CyberTroopers: Virtual On are arguably the best games for the card along with Resident Evil. Ultimate Race is a nice game which shows of the capabilites, though the Pro version supports Glide & Direct3D which allows for higher resolutions and better framerate. Nightmare Creatures, Die by the Sword and MDK also runs nicely.

Reply 27 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also another game, Moon Racer, which also makes use of the PowerVR SGL shadow capability for cheesy stencil headlights (similar to Ultim@te Race). I think that's japan only too

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

There's also another game, Moon Racer, which also makes use of the PowerVR SGL shadow capability for cheesy stencil headlights (similar to Ultim@te Race). I think that's japan only too

I was mainly thinking of "quality" games which uses SGL and that runs well. I've only tried the demo of Moon Racer (which is available online). I won't call it a good game. Same goes with the other Japanese releases.

Reply 29 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. One of the last "quality" games to support the PowerVR SGL api is Metal Fatigue

Some good Direct3D games have tweaks for the card when detected, like Wipeout XL/2097 and Midtown Madness (which is unusual for a 1999 game!) - but this is few and far between. Most cases you'll just see unblended particles and flares.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 30 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlucarD86 wrote:

As for RE6 I have it on steam and yeah it feels so weird but mercenaries is awesome, it has Left 4 Dead characters and the PC version is so much better (at least they got the controls this time right, its so funny that spec ops guys like Chris or Jill handle high tech weapons but are not able to run while shooting hahaha that always bugged me in the previous games).

Heh. I think the PC version is a disaster with those textures, the disappearing HUD, retarded camera and the fact that you're forced to ALT+F4 when you want to quit before finishing the prologue (!). If you ask me, this game really damaged Capcom's reputation and showed what to expect from this series in the future.

Reply 31 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have Revelations which has a awesome story did you try that one ? 😁

Reply 33 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah apparently RE6 was a financial disaster for capcom and therfor they ported RE Revelations to all the consoles and PC as well 😒 but I am glad since it has awesome gameplay and surprisingly a very good story for a mere RE game, definitely try it out but wait till its like 20 Euro on steam, also you HAVE to play BioShock Infinite and Metro Last Light, seriously those are solid GotY candidates this far.

Reply 36 of 45, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Umm... no. It's proprietary software and all. This forum doesn't host warez or abandonware.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 38 of 45, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you own a legit copy of RE which is non PowerVR?

Also, you can BIN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-PC-Biohazard-Pow … ZUAAOSwtvtVVc~p

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder