Do these DOS Glide games exist?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

* Battlespire: Elder Scrolls
Although support for 3Dfx chipset video cards was initially planned (and, unfortunately, even advertised), the development team ultimately decided that the texture memory limitations of most 3Dfx cards made it impossible to create an enhanced version without making unacceptable sacrifices.

* Darklight Conflict
- Can't find any other info beside Mobygames that this has 3dfx support. Seems to be incorrect.

* Dive: The Conquest of Silver Eye
- Can't find any other info beside Mobygames that this has 3dfx support. Seems to be incorrect.

* Prost Grand Prix 1998
Has both a Windows and DOS version. 3DFX logo on the back cover. Needs to be checked on what versions the 3dfx card runs on. VirtuaIceman on this forum maybe knows?

* Sentient

* Tie Break Tennis 98
DOS game with 3DFX support. Robertmo mentions it in this post:
Re: Glide patch and on mobygames the 3dfx logo is shown on the cover.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, seems I'm late to the party... yes Prost GP has a Glide 3Dfx mode, which I think is DOS based from memory (as I don't think the game is a Windows game). But I hardly bothered with Glide as it only seemed to filter the skybox, leaving the other graphics pixellated.

I can check at some point, though I no longer run 3Dfx, I think it worked on Voodoo5 5500 AGP and earlier.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 22 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

🤣, seems I'm late to the party... yes Prost GP has a Glide 3Dfx mode, which I think is DOS based from memory (as I don't think the game is a Windows game). But I hardly bothered with Glide as it only seemed to filter the skybox, leaving the other graphics pixellated.

I can check at some point, though I no longer run 3Dfx, I think it worked on Voodoo5 5500 AGP and earlier.

If someone could _actually_ check I'd appreciate it. Looks like robertmo has, but I'm not sure by what criteria he updates his list.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested the game, does work with 3DFX in DOS mode (3DFX logo flashes and my Orchid card "clicks"), but it looks like crap 😜

Reply 24 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Just tested the game, does work with 3DFX in DOS mode (3DFX logo flashes and my Orchid card "clicks"), but it looks like crap 😜

Interesting - is it static or dynamic? And is it clearly OEM, or retail? Thanks!

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's retail. Not sure if it's static or dynamic. It has a own folder for 3dfx drivers and hexeditor does not reveal the same as it does in your direct hardware call thread. It says: glide2x.SQRV

Reply 26 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably dynamic then. Does it look for glide2x.ovl or whatever? You can test this by moving/renaming the OVL. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

* NASCAR Grand National Series Expansion Pack - Expansion pack to Nascar Racing II which had a 3dfx patch. Uncertain if that patch works with this expansion.

The 3DFX patch has two executables when unpacked. One for Nascar and one for the Grand National Series expansion pack. I tested it out with the 50th anniversary edition (combined version of original game + expansion) and the 3DFX patch works with that version as well.

That was the last one. 😀

Reply 29 of 31, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

yes Prost GP has a Glide 3Dfx mode, [...] But I hardly bothered with Glide as it only seemed to filter the skybox, leaving the other graphics pixellated.

It also has higher resolution:
soft: 640x400
glide: 640x480
and of course for example 1600x1200 with a glide wrapper 😉 And as while driving you look mostly only on distant objects they don't need any filtering with such a high resolution (it is not even possible). So no pixelation during play at all 😀

Reply 30 of 31, by bored

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Cool! Now that you know how to do it, if you (or someone else) can confirm the retail versions of the games in my list (I just analyzed the patches, one demo, and googled EF2000+TACTCOM+GFX+) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help so far!

This is from EF2000V2.0 which is EF2000+TACTCOM+GFX+ as a single install:
Glide(tm) Version 2.1

That was news to me, since I had assumed that DID wrote their own SST1 driver.

Reply 31 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bored wrote:
This is from EF2000V2.0 which is EF2000+TACTCOM+GFX+ as a single install: Glide(tm) Version 2.1 […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:

Cool! Now that you know how to do it, if you (or someone else) can confirm the retail versions of the games in my list (I just analyzed the patches, one demo, and googled EF2000+TACTCOM+GFX+) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help so far!

This is from EF2000V2.0 which is EF2000+TACTCOM+GFX+ as a single install:
Glide(tm) Version 2.1

That was news to me, since I had assumed that DID wrote their own SST1 driver.

It's belated, but thanks - I've updated this post: Re: List of 3D accelerated games that make direct hardware calls

Stiletto