First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... well you should!
This is what I faced when I opened the SC-55 I received today:

7g4dhZ7.jpg

A leaking CR-2032 battery! 😲 Fortunately the plastic holder prevented the acid from reaching the pcb...
Might worth to check your units, it would be a shame if they developed faults because of the battery. The situation is not as serious as the NiCad batteries that have killed countless mobos/amigas/etc , but still! Better safe than sorry 😊

Last edited by keropi on 2020-11-04, 09:54. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 416, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point, thanks for mentioning. Thought about this as well. These batteries can be 20+ years old now so they can definitely cause problems. Sucks that opening the SC-88 is a bit more complicated due to the multiple boards and PSU inside but I should take a look at opening mine 😀

Reply 2 of 416, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For this reason I replaced my battery in my SC-55 last month. If you aren't planning on using the battery functionality, you should just be able to remove it and leave it empty.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

For this reason I replaced my battery in my SC-55 last month. If you aren't planning on using the battery functionality, you should just be able to remove it and leave it empty.

aha! I think I'll do just that, all I want to use the sc-55 is for some "serious" gaming sessions 😊 😊 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 416, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I just checked mine 5 minutes ago, it was fine but I removed it for safety. In the mkII the battery holder is horizontal.

Reply 5 of 416, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the battery was doing fine but there was something else wrong... two caps on the power board are leaking quite badly 🙁

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC05687.JPG
    File size
    3.68 MiB
    Downloads
    1 download
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 416, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do the other caps also have these strange crescent-shaped white markings on the PCB around their bases? To me it looks like they deliberately applied some glue in order to stop vibrations or something like that. I could be wrong though...

Reply 9 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is just glue to hold the cap into place, no idea why (maybe to solder underneath?) but it's a know tactic on older stuff... if it was cap asid then you would see corrosion and white fungus-like damage similar to the battery image I posted above

Last edited by keropi on 2013-08-02, 12:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

touch it! you'll see it's glue 😉
it's the same as this pic of an official PS1 psu I have opened:

15yazhh.jpg

Reply 12 of 416, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea the LA modules have the same thing.

Will check my SC units as well. Hope it's all good...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea the LA modules have the same thing.

[...]

yep, you can see it in the pics posted here: http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=3394.0 , seems to be power filter-cap related

Reply 16 of 416, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Do the other caps also have these strange crescent-shaped white markings on the PCB around their bases? To me it looks like they deliberately applied some glue in order to stop vibrations or something like that. I could be wrong though...

They all do. The marks indicate polarity.

Reply 17 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

I've seen some glue on old monitor PCBs that started eating through traces...

glue eating traces? never seen that... maybe the cap leaked and caused this...

Reply 18 of 416, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

glue eating traces? never seen that... maybe the cap leaked and caused this...

No, there is indeed a glue that'll turn corrosive. I'm not sure exactly what sort of substance it is, but I've seen it a couple times myself in some '80s stereo equipment. And I know it wasn't a leaky cap, because it happened in some places that weren't near a cap.

There's also sort of glue that eventually carbonizes and goes conductive after prolonged exposure to heat. I've seen a fair number of PC PSUs that have failed because of that... and I imagine it made for quite a light show in cases where it shorted stuff on the primary side.

Reply 19 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ really?... never actually seen it but a wrong choice of materials is known to cause disasters 😀