D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1820 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@DarkTemplar:
D-Fend Reloaded can create packages from windows games but this option is turned off by default. To enable this feature you have to check "Allow DFR to create archive files from Windows profiles" on the page "External programs" -> "Windows games" of the setup dialog. Coverflow has already been requested a couple of times; because I don't have any runtime library component for this, I would need to completely implement this by myself - and this would be more program code than DFR. So this is really out of range. For displaying the games list and also for displaying the screenshots preview I'm using runtime library component, so I have only limited control of the appearance of the components. All things which are configurable are already accessible via the setup dialog.

@sst:
Thank you very much for updating the French language files. The files will be included in DFR 1.4.3.

@Nowhere Girl:
1. ScummVM is storing the screenshot taken by pressing Alt+S in the current directory. When starting ScummVM via DFR, DFR is setting the current directory for ScummVM to the games capture folder so the screenshots are stored in the right place. When running ScummVM directly, Alt+S should also work but the screenshots are stored in the ScummVM program directory or whatever your ScummVM defines as the current working directory.
2. If screenshots manually added to the DFR capture folder do not appear in the screenshots preview area it is very likely they are in a wrong folder. The name of the subfolder of the capture folder for the games screenshots does not always directly derive from the games name. You can see the name of the capture folder on the directories page of the profile editor. The easiest way to open the right folder in the explorer is right clicking on the empty screenshots pane and selecting "Open capture folder".
3. DFR is identifying games via their exe files. You are right, ScummVM does not need the exe file to run a game because ScummVM is a Scumm interpreter (just like the exe file would also do). So when running a game via ScumVM the actual exe file is not really used. I will check this weekend or next week if the DFR ScummVM running can be changed in a way it does not require the existence of an exe file.

Reply 1821 of 2280, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't check the capture folder name because when I right click the pane where screenshots should be visible, every single option is blank - including "Open capture folder". Maybe it's because I took screenshots completely outside both DFR and Scumm VM, through Irfan View - but anyway, in many other non-DOSBox games I did so too and then I could paste the screenshots in the right place and make them visible...

Btw, has anyone else noticed something strange with Scumm screenshots? I guess that's something I should rather tell Scumm VM developers, but I'll write anyway. Scumm VM unfortunately captures stills as bitmaps - unfortunately, because bitmaps are large files; especially in case of cartoon-type images a PNG file is often 10 times smaller (only with large photos it's the opposite - PNG versions are bigger). Even worse, in the thumbnail area all screenshot appear as the same - the last one, more precisely. When I convert them to PNG, the thumbnails match their full-size screenshots, but anyway the conversion to PNG is still quite tedious - I do it by hand because I don't know another way. OK, I know it's possible to convert multiple files in Irfan View - it was one of the reasons why I downloaded this program and the easy screenshot capture was just a welcome addition - but then I have to delete the BMPs and I don't know how to do it apart from deleting files one by one...
In case of "Pajama Sam: You Are What You Eat..." I didn't have to convert anything (what a relief) because Irfan View already saved the files as PNGs.

Reply 1822 of 2280, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you won't have to manually delete the .bmp's, try this: http://www.thefreewindows.com/5984/irfanview- … le-directories/

Otherwise, use something like Everything: http://www.voidtools.com/
Then, you can right click on your images folder, from the context menu "Search Everything...", type in ".bmp" and delete them all at once.

Reply 1823 of 2280, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, but what should I do with my problem? As I've written - I can't check the folder name because all fields are blank. And actually I don't think it would be the solution. Again:
1. Alt-S didn't seem to work, so I took stills with Irfan View instead - they went to a folder I use for temporarily storing screenhosts from Windows games.
2. The game's profile didn't work, but its capture folder was created in order since the profile exists, so I put all screenshots in that folder.
3. However, they aren't visible in the right area.
The easiest solution could be to get the game to run via D-Fend Reloaded... All other Humongous Entertainment games thatt I have do work, but this one behaves as if there was nothing clickable at all (if I click the profile name, it's as if I clicked, let's say, my wallpaper). Any idea what could be causing this problem?
"Pajama Sam 3" is available in two other versions, but:
a) the first one is in Dutch and I don't speak this language.
b) the other one is an ISO - no!!! no ISOs!!!

Reply 1824 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nowhere Girl wrote:

I can't check the capture folder name because when I right click the pane where screenshots should be visible, every single option is blank - including "Open capture folder".

You need to select a game in the game list before you can open the capture folder for this game.

Reply 1826 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By default DFR ist choosing a capture folder name for new profiles. May be you have removed the capture folder name from the profile (see "Directories" page of the profile editor). If you click on "Set default screenshots folder" the default name will be selected again. As soon as there is an unique folder name in this field, you will be able to open this folder via the context menu. Of course you can also open the capture folder in the Explorer by just navigating to C:\Users\<your user name>\D-Fend Reloaded\Capture.

BTW: Checked adding Scumm-based games with missing exe files via the assistant and manually: Both is working well.

Reply 1827 of 2280, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Alexander - Thanks for the reply and info. But, what about this?

Colorizing game entries in the list - I'd consider it very useful to mark games in my (very large list, more than 200 entries) with a certain color (free to choose from a predefined list for example) to remind me if I have played the game already, if I am in progress or if I have already finished it. I am sure these kind of marks might also be useful for other people.

Reply 1829 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good evening everybody, I have just released D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.4. The update function of your DFR installation should already find the new version and offer an update.

Reply 1831 of 2280, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Updated Korean language file.
Updated French and French Canada language files.
Updated DOSZip from 2.44 to 2.48.
Added options to set sound volulme for multiple profiles at once to the multiple profiles editor.
Setting the font properties for the preview area now will also apply to the notes text input field.
Extracting and creating archive files can be canceled now.
Now also data files for which there is an user-defined interpreter can be added by drag&drop.
The screenshot thumbnails in the preview area of the D-Fend Reloaded program window will be cached now so the screenshot images will not need to be scaled down each time the screenshot previews will be displayed.

Reply 1833 of 2280, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I've got a big problem lately with 1.3.4 (and I unfortunately can't tell if it was really better before). I have about 350 games in my list, all of them perfectly filled with info, screenshots, tags, videos and all that crazy stuff. The big problem is, that D-Fend is terribly slow when loading the list. It takes about 15-20 seconds, until my game list gets displayed and it takes the same amount of time if I mark an item or change one of the entries. Why is that happening?

Reply 1834 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi DarkTemplar,
the only new feature introduced in 1.3.4 affecting the games list is the screenshots thumbnail cache and that should only reduce harddisk accesses and downscaling processes when showing the screenshots in the preview area. If the loading of the list itself already is slow its not very likely this has something to do with the screenshots. I have about 1000 entries in my games list (also with meta information and screenshots) and everything is fine for me. Under some not very clear conditions the runtime library listview component itself is slow. (It looks like this is due to the Windows environment: graphics driver, theming etc.) You could test if the list gets faster if you change to the list in the View menu to plain.

Reply 1835 of 2280, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info, I really changed the list view to several modes but unfortunately it didn't change much... a reboot speed up a little bit, but in general it seems to be something else. It got better, but the list needs about 10 seconds to load, the program 15 seconds - and that even though I consider to have a fast computer (it's only 2 years old)

Reply 1836 of 2280, by viritys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Under some not very clear conditions the runtime library listview component itself is slow. (It looks like this is due to the Windows environment: graphics driver, theming etc.)

I had the same slowness problem with the previous version that "magically" went away. The only thing I can think of (and do tell if these two can't be related): I had an issue that under certain conditions, getting icons to load in my 'all programs' was really slow. I looked into the problem and ended up deleting the thumbnail cache file (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Iconcache.db), after which the problem went away. Now, I wasn't specifically looking into fixing d-fr and therefore didn't open it up right after, but about a week later when I did, the slowness in d-fr had also disappeared.

Reply 1838 of 2280, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else having an issue with downloading game information from Mobygames since they changed their web layout a couple of days ago? All I get is "error reading data from www.mobygames.com"