VOGONS

It's 286 time!

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had the idea of restoring a clone 286 in the back of my mind for a while but they ain't easy to find around these parts. OEM stuff is a little more common perhaps but not nearly as interesting I don’t think, so when this locally made AMD 286 16MHz showed up on the 'bays, I snagged it.

It's complete and original; each component has the dealer’s date of assembly sticker on it and they all match - 31/7/1991. The seller reported that the machine did POST, but was giving a "replace CMOS battery" error and wouldn’t boot. He went on to say that he couldn't find the battery, which of course was because it's hidden in a Dallas RTC. The Dallas chip is a blessing and a curse because the alternative would have been a barrel battery, which would probably have leaked and killed the motherboard long ago. But the RTC on this thing isn’t socketed, so bypassing the flat battery – which is encased in the chip – requires some modding.

Here it is as it arrived, looking a little worse for wear. The whole front of the case was bent out of shape:

IMG_4407_zpsd1d737ab.jpg

First things first I needed to make sure that I could successfully mod the RTC, if not then the project was over before it started. This is a pretty well documented mod (http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm) but I was dreading it all the same, particularly because the chip was soldered to the board. There is a modern replacement for this chip, but I read that it might not be compatible with the 286, so I decided to just have a go at modding the original chip in situ - hopefully not wrecking the whole board in the process. I masked off the area, melted away the top layer of plastic with a soldering iron, and then carefully cut into the epoxy with a small, sharpened screwdriver. It was slow going but easy enough, and then it was just a matter of disconnecting the old battery and soldering on a button battery holder. To my relief it worked first time:

IMG_4422_zps35f536d7.jpg

IMG_4426_zpsd381603d.jpg

IMG_4427_zpsf2af4d4f.jpg

Next up was the warped case. I happened to have another of the same one in the shed, so it was volunteered to donate its internal metal work. Donor on the left, recipient on the right:

IMG_4438_zps259d9725.jpg

IMG_4445_zpsfd90f528.jpg

Does anyone else braid their case wiring? No? Just me?

IMG_4440_zps8e62e050.jpg

Motherboard in:

IMG_4448_zpsf0305a5d.jpg

These PSU’s with the side switch are getting hard to find and the last 2 I’ve seen had bad caps, so I was very happy with this one. It’s very heavy, and clean as a bean inside.

IMG_4436_zps4b56a05f.jpg

Coming together:

IMG_4456_zps4d1268dc.jpg

IMG_4463_zps29c6ce7d.jpg

The HDD is a very nice Seagate ST-351 A/X 40MB (http://redhill.net.au/d/16.php). Like most of the old drives I come across it was complete with OS and games, in this case DOS 5, Windows 3.0, and a handful of classic games like Prince of Persia, Outrun, Stunts, Cal Games II, etc. It was using XTree Gold for a menu system, and Word Perfect 5.1 was also thrown into the deal + a whole lot of the original owner’s documents – privacy wasn’t a big concern in the early 90’s I guess. I’ll clean up a few things but leave it as-is for the most part.

IMG_4459_zps67717174.jpg

Drives in and looking very handsome if I do say so myself. I really like how original this thing is but of course I’m tempted to upgrade it a bit. It currently has 640K + 384K “Extended RAM”, so I might look into some more memory at some stage. This board doesn’t take SIMMS, but rather those strange looking SIP RAM modules. All banks are currently empty, so I have some room to move if I can find them. The VGA card is an “AHEAD” branded thing and works fine, but I’m tempted to swap in a Tseng ET3000 card I’ve had stashed away. And finally there’s the issue of sound - to keep it period correct I should leave it as PC speaker only, but I just can’t hack it anymore. I might be forced to corrupt this machine’s simple beauty with a Sound Blaster 2.0, which wasn’t available until late ’91 but is close to being period correct.

IMG_4465_zps3ccacd4d.jpg

IMG_4469_zpscbd67f89.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 110, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system! I played a lot of games on a 286-12 back in the day. Wing Commander, LHX Attack Chopper and PGA Tour Golf spring to mind, as well as the LucasArts adventures. PC speaker sound if course. I even finished X-Wing on the 286 although performance wasn't really up to it. Also, Windows 3.0 in standard mode is a waste of time.

Reply 2 of 110, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow what a nice build. Great pictures.

The green sticky tape made me think of an operating theatre 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 110, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Tandon 286/N desktop with socketed Dallas DS1287 (battery dead of course). It would boot, but every time one should set MFM HDD parameters once again. After I replaced the original DALLAS chip dated 1988 with a new one (also DS1287) dated 2009, everything works perfectly since.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

I have a Tandon 286/N desktop with socketed Dallas DS1287 (battery dead of course). It would boot, but every time one should set MFM HDD parameters once again. After I replaced the original DALLAS chip dated 1988 with a new one (also DS1287) dated 2009, everything works perfectly since.

Yes if I'd had a socketed one then I would have gone down this path. But having to desolder the old chip, install a socket, and then pay for a new chip just seemed too much effort. Also I don't know if my soldering skills are up to it 😢

I've done some soul searching and decided to leave this machine as is... except for the lack of memory. I can't find a manual for this board and know nothing about memory for this era board, does anyone have any experience with SIPP modules? Are there compatibility issues etc?

For example are these any good?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/256X9-10SIPP-SAMSU … 550b7bef&_uhb=1

Thanks for any help.

Reply 6 of 110, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that 286 and 386 hardware from OEMs isn't interesting. In the mid to late 1980s, all the best computers were built by OEMs with a lot of nifty proprietary stuff. Most of the standard AT boards were junky ones from Taiwan.

1991 is pretty late for a 286.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that 286 and 386 hardware from OEMs isn't interesting. In the mid to late 1980s, all the best computers were built by OEMs with a lot of nifty proprietary stuff. Most of the standard AT boards were junky ones from Taiwan.

I'm sure they're fascinating to some, but I grew up with hand-me-down clones, so that's where my interest is. Also, the people I knew with real IBM's thought they were better than me, so there's that.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

1991 is pretty late for a 286.

Yep.

Reply 8 of 110, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

always nice to see an older 80s machine up and running, should be useful for quite a few CPU sensitive games.

really like the monitor too , a Trinitron CRT is something I wouldn't mind getting, although I can't seem to find one close by (and most people won't ship them for obvious reasons)

Reply 9 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I love that monitor, I got it new a couple of years ago and use it for all my retro machines, right up to a P4 XP box! I'll never find one that nice again.

I did a bit more work on this machine last night, the 3.5" floppy was slowly dying so I replaced it. I love the flip top lid case, it just pops open and you're ready to go. Since I was working on it anyway I put a Tseng labs ET4000AX VGA card in and I'm convinced it did actually make a difference. Image quality is a given because the ET4000AX chipset looks so nice, but Stunts 4D driving ran more smoothly and I would argue is now playable. Even things like directory listings in DOS felt snappier, so I think I'll leave it in there.

Overall I'm impressed with the speed of this system, it's very usable. I installed Norton Utils last night and checked the HDD for errors but it's all good, amazing after all these years.

Things remaining is to get a mouse attached - waiting for a DB25 to DB9 converter - clean the HDD up a bit (ditch Windows 3.0), and tidy up the config files.

I'm coming to terms with the PC speaker, but I'd really like to lower it's volume a bit. I might look at stuffing some foam around it or something to curb it's enthusiasm.

Reply 10 of 110, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the PC Speaker, I just spliced a resistor into one of the speaker cables. I think I used a 16 ohm resistor, and that quietened it down a bit.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 11 of 110, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no doubt that the ET4000 makes things go faster 😀

It was THE ISA video card to get back in the day.

With the PC speaker, you can always route it through a Sound Blaster Pro if you want.

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the resistor idea, I'll look into that.

My Pro is busy doing Important Things in a 486, I do have a CT1350b spare but I don't think that allows PC speaker IN does it?

Reply 13 of 110, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If that's a regular Sound Blaster, then no.

The mixer was introduced with the SB Pro AFAIK.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 110, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Yeah I love that monitor, I got it new a couple of years ago and use it for all my retro machines, right up to a P4 XP box! I'll […]
Show full quote

Yeah I love that monitor, I got it new a couple of years ago and use it for all my retro machines, right up to a P4 XP box! I'll never find one that nice again.

I did a bit more work on this machine last night, the 3.5" floppy was slowly dying so I replaced it. I love the flip top lid case, it just pops open and you're ready to go. Since I was working on it anyway I put a Tseng labs ET4000AX VGA card in and I'm convinced it did actually make a difference. Image quality is a given because the ET4000AX chipset looks so nice, but Stunts 4D driving ran more smoothly and I would argue is now playable. Even things like directory listings in DOS felt snappier, so I think I'll leave it in there.

Overall I'm impressed with the speed of this system, it's very usable. I installed Norton Utils last night and checked the HDD for errors but it's all good, amazing after all these years.

Things remaining is to get a mouse attached - waiting for a DB25 to DB9 converter - clean the HDD up a bit (ditch Windows 3.0), and tidy up the config files.

I'm coming to terms with the PC speaker, but I'd really like to lower it's volume a bit. I might look at stuffing some foam around it or something to curb it's enthusiasm.

Ive also got the problem of space , or lack of it , I don't know if I will have room here for a bulky CRT.
right now Im using an LG LCD TV that also functions as a PC monitor, in theory is sounds bad, but the picture is actually very good, certainly better than the ASUS HD monitor I use for the WIn7 PC.

I actually wonder though how many VGA games would run well on a 286? of course that card is capable of EGA too which means its still very useful.

Reply 15 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having the space for a retro PC + a CRT is a luxury and I'm lucky on that count. I haven't tried an LCD TV for a monitor - what size is it?

You're right, the 286 is not really a VGA machine. I'm not going to be playing Stunts on it for example. But the ET4000AX came out in '91 so it's technically period correct for this particular machine, which was built late in the reign of the 286. The main advantage of the Tseng is the image quality, which is better than any other ISA card I've tried. It's bright, sharp, and generally much easier on the eyes.

Reply 16 of 110, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its a 17inch screen , officially its widescreen, but it honestly doesn't look like widescreen (more like 16:10), the good thing is that I can use it for consoles and the PC, so it saves space that way (and it has RGB SCART which most PAL systems support), its not an HD monitor per se, its an LCD screen circa 2004 so its not too shabby for lower resolutions and SD signals. of course for the PC itself, a good quality CRT would be better, maybe I will get one at some point, but the TV itself isn't bad.

as for the 286, Im thinking of games you might use this in VGA, I can think of the Indiana Jones Last Crusade adventure game , it should be ok with a 286

Reply 17 of 110, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I don't understand the obsession with "period correctness".. it's so flexible that there's no point in pursuing it.

There's a great great deal of games that you can play on a 286 w/ VGA. We even played Wing Commander 1 on a 286@25 MHz, 1MB RAM and SBPro. It ran pretty good 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 18 of 110, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Honestly I don't understand the obsession with "period correctness".. it's so flexible that there's no point in pursuing it.

It's a hobby mate, it doesn't need to make sense. Getting things to be my version of 'period correct' just adds to the challenge and enjoyment of it all.

Reply 19 of 110, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the SIPPs you can actually solder pins on SIMMs and use those... If you have the patience for it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.