Common searches

Looking for a old game.

Topic actions

First post, by Schmeisser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Wondering if someone here can help me find a game I've been looking since about 15 years back. Can send a bad picture of how I remember how it looked. It was anyway a green car that you can drive around in. As in GTA 1, but you can not go out of the car.

You can destroy the cars.
I remember the GPS guide you to different holes you can fall in.
And there it was some kind of monster that you can click on him and he did different sounds. remember also that there were four openings that you could press on. behind them, it was his head, body, legs, feet. Can imagine that it was some kind of market or something.

And when you wanted to return to the surface again, it shot you out of the hole up to the surface again.
Weapons could you also have the vehicle.

And one thing I also remember was if you ended up upside down with the vehicle you hold down the space key for maybe 3-4 seconds. And when you released the car flew up and ended up right.
it was like GTA 1 to be able to drive anywhere. But you can not go out of the vehicle.

And remember that the colors of the game was mostly green, dark green and black.

the game is from the 90s

Thanks for reading and plz reply. 😀

Attachments

• Namnlös.png
    Filename
    Namnlös.png
    File size
    59.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you remember if this game was for DOS or for Windows?

Was it in English? (Just checking. 😉 )

Return Fire comes to mind, but that can't be right.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/return-fire

Reply 2 of 35, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there was a 1997 game with cars and a postapocalyptic setting in a top-down perspective in a palette of mostly green and brown, forgot the name, and I can't bear to browse on Mobylames for it 😒 Can't confirm any 'holes' though....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 35, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either I'm getting too old, or anything that's post 1992 does not sound "old" to me!

Anyway, the Vangers game looks interesting. Never heard it before. Might try it one day.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as ancient top-down post-apocalyptic driving games with RPG elements go, I've heard great things about Autoduel (from Origin).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoduel

Reply 12 of 35, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vangers
Greatest game ever made. 🤣

I was just talking with one of the programmers and apparently it will get a re-release on steam early next year. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 14 of 35, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah they are going over the English translations and fixing some of the mistakes as well as sorting out other bugs. So it should be a completely refreshed modern release of essentially the same game. Besides who would buy from GOG? They are simply taking games that were abandonware and now making you buy them.
I for one am definitely going to buy it on steam because it will support the original makers in new endeavors. He said also that if it sells enough they may completely revamp it and add more features including a real multiplayer that doesn't just consist of versus.

Reply 15 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah they are going over the English translations and fixing some of the mistakes as well as sorting out other bugs. So it should be a completely refreshed modern release of essentially the same game. Besides who would buy from GOG? They are simply taking games that were abandonware and now making you buy them.
I for one am definitely going to buy it on steam because it will support the original makers in new endeavors. He said also that if it sells enough they may completely revamp it and add more features including a real multiplayer that doesn't just consist of versus.

There is no such thing as abandonware. As long as a copyright exists, you're still supposed to be paying for them so GOG isn't doing anything wrong. If they acquired the rights to distribute the game for a fee, there is nothing wrong with that.

Reply 16 of 35, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I assume they will no longer be able to distribute it when (if my info is right) they make it available on steam. But my point was that they do not add anything to it, they had nothing to do with the making of the games and so they are making money off of something that they put zero work into. It's pure capitalism.

Reply 17 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Well I assume they will no longer be able to distribute it when (if my info is right) they make it available on steam. But my point was that they do not add anything to it, they had nothing to do with the making of the games and so they are making money off of something that they put zero work into. It's pure capitalism.

Don't you think GOG paid whoever legally owns the rights to the game for permission to sell it? Don't you think whoever owns those rights deserves to be paid if someone wants to play the game? For that matter, do you think the developers would be proceeding with their plans if they didn't already know there were people demonstrably willing to pay for the game? Do you think the developers want people to download the old version for free instead of paying for the new version that they are working on?

Do you think anyone out there can create a game and put the "Vangers" name on it? Don't you think that both GOG and the developers had to get permission from whoever owns the rights?

There is already at least one case of a game, The Last Express, that was sold on both GOG and Steam for quite some time, but which now has a slightly enhanced version on Steam.

Reply 18 of 35, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you completely are missing the point of what I meant. The guys who are going to release it on steam are 2 of the original developers who worked on it in 1998. So I am saying rather than buy it from a company who is obviously not making any games or really doing anything with the games they own the rights to (other than distribute them digitally for a fee) I would rather buy it from the people who made it so that they can make more games for us to enjoy in the future. I personally do not like GOG, it is my opinion obviously yours differs.

Personally I think they are re-releasing it due to the amount of people still talking about it in Russia. The non russian players of this game are a sort of oddity which is how I ended up talking to one of the devs in the first place. Besides most of the people who played it still have their physical copies (obviously not Schmeisser though. 😜 ) and the only reason I would buy it again is to support the original makers. No offence meant.

Reply 19 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

But my point was that they do not add anything to it, they had nothing to do with the making of the games and so they are making money off of something that they put zero work into. It's pure capitalism.

Oh! This sounds familiar!

Sounds like EXACTLY WHAT STEAM DOES.

*facepalm*

King_Corduroy wrote:

The guys who are going to release it on steam are 2 of the original developers who worked on it in 1998. So I am saying rather than buy it from a company who is obviously not making any games or really doing anything with the games they own the rights to (other than distribute them digitally for a fee) I would rather buy it from the people who made it so that they can make more games for us to enjoy in the future.

What makes you think the GOG arrangement is any different to the Steam arrangement? Why, in your mind, is it a given that GOG are distributing the game without the "2 of the original developers" consent, permission, blessing, etc?

Do you know what Steam does with games they "own the rights to"? They distribute them digitally for a fee. That's it. What's more, they slap some DRM on there for your trouble.

King_Corduroy wrote:

I personally do not like GOG, it is my opinion obviously yours differs.

An opinion that appears to be built on completely baseless assumptions.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread