VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 2205, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I just let the light in to take better pictures 😀

The whole room is very bright due to the fresh paint and light furniture/floor colors, so I don't really need to let more sunlight in.
I'm more worried for sunbleached game boxes than yellow computer cases. The C64 keyboard looks awful, but it was stored away from sunlight, in a box for years and still it got this yellow, so my guess is that it's somewhat unavoidable for the plastic.

::42::

Reply 402 of 2205, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks 😀

I don't consider it cramped. The room is -very- small and I'm pretty happy that I got all those systems and a bunch of games in there without making it look cluttered.
But yes, it's a little bit tight in there, not much room for more than one person, I give you that 😉

::42::

Reply 403 of 2205, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have made few minutes ago some new photos of my `computer area` A few months ago i also posted some photo`s of my work area, but there wasnt no tables, chair and other stuff in it.
I hadnt not much point to make some new photos how it is now.. So here there are new ones.

2nmyiq.jpg
Here iam doing my retro computer stuff, building my systems and doing motherboard repairs as far i can repair it (and soldering stuff)

oizuio.jpg
Theres a lot old hardware here.. I take it all out of the anti-static bags, maybe stupid i know.. But when i moved to this house i had a lot stuff still in boxes, and then its hard to know what i bought in the past months/year.

2j60pyx.jpg
My Intel 2500K, MSI Z68A-GD60, 8GB main computer..

ra4z6q.jpg
Placed a rack so can put little stuff on it and computers iam still busy on.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 405 of 2205, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is part of my room, focusing on my retro PC!

pc3_zps4a31132b.jpg

pc4_zpsa1ad73c5.jpg

pc6_zpse73eba12.jpg

pc2_zpsfd485cf4.jpg

pc1_zpsb860d1c5.jpg

pc7_zps70769ac3.jpg

Specs:
Main PC is ITX on a very small case hunging from the desk, which is fitted onto the wall and has only one leg!
i5 2500K / 8GB RAM / 120GB SSD / 1.5TB HDD / HD7870XT / 650W Corsair GOLD psu / Asrock Z77E-ITX and: HP 24" 1920x1200 monitor, Samsung 24" 1920x1200, Creative T-3100 2.1 speakers.

Retro PC (ΑΤ) is:
PIII 750 / 256MB RAM / 80GB HDD / Voodoo3 3000 AGP / new ATX PSU / AT slot1 mobo and Hitachi 19" CRT 1800x1350max (on 1280x1024@85Hz)

Hope you like it! 😊 😊

PS: the "750" LED display on the case is handmade, see here: Creating a new LED MHz indicator for my PC's front panel! [PROJECT]

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 407 of 2205, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Nice setup and taste in games! However I do question the fact that you can apparently deal with FFVIII PC 🤣

Thanks! Took a whole long time to install the software.
I can't! It's FFVII 😉 The first FF I played as a kid and my favorite!
The FFVIII actually plays better on the PSX emulator on this PC rather than the PC version 😜

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 408 of 2205, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was talking about the FFVIII shortcut on the desktop 😀 the FFVII PC port is better than many people claim, especially with the XG MIDIs (well and certain patches to prevent it from crashing...), but the VIII one is a mess in every way.

Reply 409 of 2205, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to have it for...collection reasons!
The installation is not so big (needs 4 CDs to play the whole game), so it wasn't so much of a pain to have it. 😀

About the FFVII, I have not experienced a single crash on systems of that era. Of course on windows 8 it is crash-prone. It has Opengl acceleration and everything runs so smooth. Even on a P166MMX with Voodoo1 it runs butter-smoothly!

The FFVIII states P-200 w/32MB of RAM as minimum requirements, but what you get on such a PC is a big LAUGH! 🤣 Even on the PIII 750 it lags, especially on the overworld...

Reply 410 of 2205, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I guess it crashes only with NT5+ on the Chocobo race. Mixed that up.

FFVIII PC mainly sucks cuz they did horrible things to the music and replaced the menu font with an uglier version. I just stick to the original on a real console.

Reply 412 of 2205, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Here's my workdesk at the office:

It's a tight crop because there's a ton of sh*t around 😉

What kind of laptop is that?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 413 of 2205, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:
Here's my workdesk at the office: http://shrani.si/t/p/MB/1CbsK7Fz/workplace.jpg […]
Show full quote

workplace.jpg

Oh, so your computing area really isn't that neat.

Kind of like this oldie

The_Art_of_MySpace_Cropping.jpg

From the cropped pic you think the girl is hot until you see the whole picture.

Reply 414 of 2205, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Main computer
c5sh.jpg

The main computer also serves as an HTPC. The slim HDMI cable running through the hole in the wall...
8qn8.jpg

...connects to the AV receiver in the living room. The color on the TV is much different than what is shown on this photo; plasmas flicker like CRTs on camera.
l91p.jpg

My trusty old socket 939 opteron x2 in the hobby room/workshop:
bfzf.jpg

The server closet. It's powered by a Pentium M and currently has 8TB of storage. Stores everything from DOS games to 35GB BD movies.
a8mp.jpg

Entering the Old PC room:
2je1.jpg

The ugly-as-sin tower houses my Tualatin machine. P3-S at 1585/151FSB, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1.5GB of SDRAM at 151MHz/CL2, 250GB HDD, XP Pro. It's running the smaller monitor.
bcfk.jpg

The Dell T550 driving that CRT has a 900MHz P3, Voodoo3-3000 AGP card, 384MB of RAM, and Win98SE. The cardboard PC is my DOS machine.
8jm5.jpg

Yup, another closet invaded by computers.
bl5w.jpg

More parts and an old Mac SE:
u1ar.jpg

A random laptop:
c46t.jpg

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 416 of 2205, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

What kind of laptop is that?

It's a HP ProBook 4740s (i5, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Radeon gfx).

And here's what I think by "too much stuff in the office":
serviceroom.jpg
showroom.jpg
storage.jpg

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 417 of 2205, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

Nice looking areas, but why is the good chair with the laptop? 🤣

Because it's not as comfortable as it looks. A toilet is a better office chair than that thing. 😲

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 418 of 2205, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My computing area 3 years ago, when I was still living with my mother:
z_fcb6d917.jpg

My computing area now:
P1020740.JPG

btw, the same topic on a Russian retrocomputing forum: http://www.phantom.sannata.ru/forum/index.php … um_view&o=&st=0

Reply 419 of 2205, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's my room. The computer is around 9 years old and I use it everyday.

Attachments

• Filename
    Picture 045.jpg
    File size
    627.01 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception