VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know a good setting to get Earth 2140 to run as it is intended? I used to play this game all the time and have had it sitting around now for a while but since 4 years ago when I tossed my old pentium 1 and 2 computers (In a moment of stupidity) I haven't been able to get it to run correctly, which is odd because other games that are reported to be quite finicky run perfect on DOSbox.

So to restate the problem: it runs too slow and plays the movies extremely choppy and out of sync with the sound.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is indeed the Win95/Dos Version, infact I am pretty sure that is the only version there ever was. I am having problems with a Soundblaster Live! card so DOS games will not detect the sound card and will not run (No problems with games designed to run in windows). While eventually I will replace the card with a SB PCI 128 card in the meantime I figured I could get around that by using DOSbox.
So that all being said does anyone know a good setting or a way to get around the sound card incompatibility?

Reply 3 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In DOSBox Earth 2140 runs into 2 problems. If cycles are too high sound card initializaton will fail. If cycles are too low installation will lock up after testing CD audio. I'm not sure what can be done about that on real hardware.

More information here.

Reply 5 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No the sound card is completely useless it's the SB0200 model and it only works under windows. 🙁

Reply 8 of 9, by Fexel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use SVN Daum DOSBox Build and these settings:

core=dynamic
cputype=pentium_mmx
cycles=fixed 53499

I run the game in 800x600 on DOSBox.

Those cycles was the highest count i could set. Higher made problems. With the config above it runs good on my computer. With 53500 i had soundproblems. 😁

Reply 9 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool thanks I'll give it a try! I really love that game, I even tried rebuilding the computer I had as a kid but the game is so picky I can't get the soundcard to work with it. 🤣 Hope this works! thanks! 😁