VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I'm pretty new here (registered today) so I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right place but my problem is this:
I am building a Win98 PC from an old Pentium 4 1.8 ghz Sony Vaio. So far everything has gone well, windows 98SE installed perfectly and the graphics card was a Nvidia TNT2 so I had no issues there, however the onboard Audio is XP only drivers and as such will not install on win98. So I went on Ebay and purchased an old SoundBlaster Live! card since when I was younger I remember Creative Soundblaster cards sounded really good. However this soundcard did not come with the Driver discs and so I found the Discs you provide.
The drivers don't appear to work however and I am still without audio, I have searched and searched and I can't find drivers for this card anywhere! Please Help!
The card is a SoundBlaster Live! Model : SB0200, it is the type that has the orange joystick/midi input port.

Please help. I really want to get this rig working so I can have a snappy Windows 98 and run some older windows games.
(Such as Mechwarriors 2 and Bladerunner, which just wont run without being garbled)

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never mind! Haha! It works!!!!
OK for anyone else who finds this, please go here and download this zip. Turns out this card is the OEM version and as such needs the OEM drivers!
http://rhinobhs.tripod.com/sb0200.html <<< Drivers be here. 🤣

Wooot! Can't believe it worked! 😁

Reply 3 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you manage to get it to work in DOS? I've always had problems getting sound in DOS games on newer (Pentium 4/Athlon 64 era) systems running 98 with PCI sound cards.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2013-12-02, 07:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it sounds pretty good despite the fact that it is the OEM version. So I am quite happy, I've been playing Starship Titanic by Douglas Adams since I put it in. I never realised Point and clicks could be so engrossing. 😁

@mr_bigmouth_502 I haven't tried it in pure DOS mode yet, but I suppose I could test that easily enough by installing Blood or some other DOS era game. Probably Earth 2140 since that has a sound check during setup.
It would be a bummer for sure if it didn't work since most of the games I want to play require DOS.

Reply 6 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Warcraft II has a pretty nice sound test in its installer. The one for Descent is pretty cool as well since it can test the left and right audio channels independently.

Reply 8 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool beans. Also make sure you have the CD to card cable, I couldn't get Earth 2140 to start because of "no CD audio detected!". Works now though, also sound stuttering has been fixed. (Had to enable DMA on the HDD)

Reply 10 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I just tested it and it doesn't start now because of issues detecting the sound card. 😒
Well I thought it was fixed! It detects it in the setup but when I run the game it crashes because of the sound card. I will try those DOS drivers and see if that helps.

Reply 11 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No luck so far... I see that others are experiencing the same issues though so I don't think this is a quick fix.

Reply 12 of 17, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just went through this whole driver mess with a SB0200. My advice would be to throw it out and get a SB0060. That's the retail version of the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, which Creative actually supports to some degree. The official drivers work, in any case.

Another good choice would be a Sound Blaster PCI 128. Not nearly as nice as the Live! 5.1, but the drivers are pretty bulletproof. Good luck!

PCGames9505

Reply 14 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Darn, I just bought this too. :'( (Cost 5 bucks 😜 So not a huge deal at least it sounds decent for windows games.)
Oh well live and learn right? Now I know what to look for, thanks guys. I will probably buy the PCI 128 since thats what my father used on our first PC (Which I threw away in a moment of stupidity 4 years ago. So I still have the drivers for it, are there any funky things about the 128 I should know about? Any OEM versions or funky versions like the Live seems to have? (I mean there are like 20 different types of Live! card! What the heck? 🤣)

I am just glad I didn't do this back in the 90's haha. I would hate to have payed 150$ bucks for it (Just guessing) and then run into all of these problems. 🤣

Reply 15 of 17, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

Pretty sure it still has an EMU10K so he may be able to try kX drivers as well.

I don't think it's the same chip.
Quote from wikipedia:
This card, marketed as a Sound Blaster Live!, did not have the full capabilities of the retail versions of Live! It used a different audio chip, not EMU10K1 but EMU10K1X, that is noticeably smaller with fewer pins. The chip does not accelerate DirectSound in hardware, nor EAX. The sale of this board by Dell created some controversy because it was not obviously marketed as an inferior or cheaper product. The card can be identified by its part number (SB0200/0203)

Reply 16 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow, never new about that 10K1 and 10K1X difference... thanks 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 17, by gras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote on 2013-11-30, 19:42:
Never mind! Haha! It works!!!! OK for anyone else who finds this, please go here and download this zip. Turns out this card is […]
Show full quote

Never mind! Haha! It works!!!!
OK for anyone else who finds this, please go here and download this zip. Turns out this card is the OEM version and as such needs the OEM drivers!
http://rhinobhs.tripod.com/sb0200.html <<< Drivers be here. 🤣

Wooot! Can't believe it worked! 😁

Note that in that zip-file, the Windows98 drivers are in the WIN2K_XP folder. Don't be fooled, just follow the instructions like JDinUK at Overclockers UK wrote:

JDinUK @ Overclockers UK wrote:
The way I got it to work was to extract the SB0200 folder to a temp directory, then open the device manager and click on the unk […]
Show full quote

The way I got it to work was to extract the SB0200 folder to a temp directory, then open the device manager and click on the unknown audio device and select Properties and on that, "Reinstall Driver".

I then cancelled the auto search and selected to browse - directing it to the folder ....\SB0200\Drivers\WIN2K_XP

Note that last bit in bold - Win2k_XP

It worked great - and then do the same for the Gameport. After that you can use any other ISO or installer for the Creative utilities like AudioHQ or whatever else you want to use on your retro PC.

I hope this info helps someone - I could have done with knowing it a week ago! Thanks to Guest2 for his attempted help in getting this resolved.

I attached the drivers in question to this post, in case the link above stops working. I had to 7zip it to get below 5MB - apologies for this inconvenience.

Attachments

• Filename
    sb0200.7z
    File size
    3.03 MiB
    Downloads
    23 downloads
    File comment
    Soundblaster Live OEM SB0200 Drivers 9x, 2K, XP
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception