VOGONS

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone must have done a big clean out because the electronic waste container in our "garbage room" had some useful stuff in it for once 😀

Its a bit unlucky that the container was otherwise empty so the hardware had to endure a 4ft free fall.
There were plenty of dented and bruised IDE disks but only one turned out to be 100% OK

I also found a Voodoo Rush card 😀 Now I can enjoy its crappyness.

But now to the real intresting stuff.

I found two motherboards. A 486 board and a Socket 7 board. I cant identify either one of them.
The names 4DLUS 1.0 and 586PS2/586P52 do not return much useful? when I search.
I did also find a boxed sound card with OPL3 + wavetable and the specs seems just great but I cant find any information on the net about this sound card at all.

Help with identifying the motherboards and the soundcard and getting some information about them would be much appreciated

First a picture of a less-than-stellar video card.

Image011.jpg

The hero IBM Deathstar 30gb that survived a 4 ft free fall.

Image012.jpg

The 486 board

Image013.jpg

The Socket 7 board

Image014.jpg

A box!

Image016.jpg

Whats in the box?

Image015.jpg

Whats in the box?

Image017.jpg

Inside the box. Notice the "Boom Phone"

Image018.jpg

The sound card with doutherboards

Image019.jpg

The other side

Image020.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 40, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That socket 7 586F52 is made by freetech..
http://www.tacktech.com/download.cfm?file=manuals/586f52.txt
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/manuals/Freetech/586F52/

forum user `VETZ` has also one..

That soundcard you found is very nice, and very hard to find these days.. I think no one have one of these and are very rare..

Last edited by Robin4 on 2020-02-09, 22:43. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 40, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks

I read that F in Freetech as a P
The txt file with jumper settings will be useful 😀

The sound card seem to have it all exept Soundblaster 16 compatibility..

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2013-12-21, 20:06. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 3 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

That's quite impressive 😳
I was testing one of these once, it was really loud so I suspected the ball bearing was a bit worn out. I tapped it lightly with a screwdriver handle (while spinning) and the bearing just exploded with a loud BANG! 🤣

That sound card you got looks pretty cool.. Do you have any separate pics of the card and daughterboard?

Reply 4 of 40, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:
That's quite impressive :O I was testing one of these once, it was really loud so I suspected the ball bearing was a bit worn ou […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

I was testing one of these once, it was really loud so I suspected the ball bearing was a bit worn out. I tapped it lightly with a screwdriver handle (while spinning) and the bearing just exploded with a loud BANG! 🤣

That sound card you got looks pretty cool.. Do you have any separate pics of the card and daughterboard?

This Deathstar is silent and healthy. The other 3 disks I took with me all "worked" but the sounds....

I have not picked the sound card apart yet.
But when I do I will take some pictures.

Reply 5 of 40, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:
That's quite impressive :O I was testing one of these once, it was really loud so I suspected the ball bearing was a bit worn ou […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Maybe those bearings where normally being lubricated.. And then laying the whole time on the self, the lubricate went off.. And then the drive dies on the main bearing.

That soundcard should be an advanced sound blaster PRO.. on the box i red SB PRO 1 & 2& 3. I thin that SB PRO 3 is more an advanced setting for that card.. Maybe it could do OPL4 also.

Reply 6 of 40, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

can you remove the daughterboards from the soundcard and post photos? it will help see what they really are... just pull them, they are not locked and you won't break anything. Just be carefull when you put them back of the pin alignment so all male pins go to their female counterparts... 😉
from what I see the midi daughterboard is a dream based one, gm/gs and mt-32 emulation, not bad!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 40, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

can you remove the daughterboards from the soundcard and post photos? it will help see what they really are... just pull them, they are not locked and you won't break anything. Just be carefull when you put them back of the pin alignment so all male pins go to their female counterparts... 😉
from what I see the midi daughterboard is a dream based one, gm/gs and mt-32 emulation, not bad!

There was a plastic pin that would not agree with "not locked"
I used as much force as I dared but it would not cooperate.
But I think you can see everything important.

86aImage011.jpg

b5Image012.jpg

575Image013.jpg

Reply 8 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The components on themselves are familiar to me, but the card is not.
The part number led to this website:
www.multiwave.com

It has a daughterboard driver, wonder what that does.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 40, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
The components on themselves are familiar to me, but the card is not. The part number led to this website: www.multiwave.com […]
Show full quote

The components on themselves are familiar to me, but the card is not.
The part number led to this website:
www.multiwave.com

It has a daughterboard driver, wonder what that does.

Perhaps that driver is for the smaller daughterboard?
The box states the card has a "Audiowave 3d Space Sound Processor"
The driver link is dead but with luck the driver disks in the box works.
The driver links for NT, 95 and OS2 worked.

Reply 10 of 40, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tapped it lightly with a screwdriver handle (while spinning) and the bearing just exploded with a loud BANG!

Usually it's the platters that explode in those. Making them out of glass was not the best idea on IBM's part. It's always interesting popping the top off one that's failed in such a way... just make sure to have a bad nearby to catch all the bits. 🤣

Reply 11 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I tapped it lightly with a screwdriver handle (while spinning) and the bearing just exploded with a loud BANG!

Usually it's the platters that explode in those. Making them out of glass was not the best idea on IBM's part. It's always interesting popping the top off one that's failed in such a way... just make sure to have a bad nearby to catch all the bits. 🤣

Pretty sure it was just the bearing that broke, if the platter shattered I think I would have seen that. I usually open up dead harddrives to pull the magnets out.

Didn't know the platters were made of glass though 😳

Reply 12 of 40, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I can recommend to toss that IBM Deathstar away, why should you use unreliable hardware? Glass platters, i think IBM just missed the boat.. 😵

Reply 13 of 40, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it still works why not, ibm's are fast.
I still have some 60GXP's and they still run fine, of course i encountered some sector corruption due to bad controller board contacts to the drive contacts.
But the thought never occured to me to toss it out just bcause of the glass platters even though glass has ass in the word itself.

Reply 14 of 40, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A fair point. It's not like you're going to be using such a drive for critical data anymore, so you're not really out much even if it does die. And besides, a Deathstar that still works after 13 years is likely to be about as reliable as any other 13 year old hard drive.

Reply 15 of 40, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ive build that 60GXP for games in my p1 machine and runs ok.
The only problem that could occur is that the contacts from controller to the harddrive for the head r/w and movements get corroded and the disk feeds itself clicking when powering on and causing sector corruption.

But spinrite will fix the corrupted sectors after cleaning the contacts again the drive runs ok again.
Yours is a 75GXP, have no experience on them.

Reply 17 of 40, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing wrong with the Rush. IVe got the exact same card in my AMD 5x86 133 system. And I was quite impressed with its performance compared to a Monster3D.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 18 of 40, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the soundcard, did you try looking up the FCC ID?
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

As for the pin that wont let go; use pliers to squeeze it then pull/puss it through the hole. Always does the trick for me.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 19 of 40, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

For the soundcard, did you try looking up the FCC ID?
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

As for the pin that wont let go; use pliers to squeeze it then pull/puss it through the hole. Always does the trick for me.

I did try squeezing with pliers and pulling and pushing with force.
Its not that I am afraid that I will hurt the card but the pin looks unique, and therefore hard to replace and Im not sure it will go through the hole in one piece.