Rank Member
Rank

It changed a bit since this was taken but the nook is still "The Nook"

rwat.jpg
mac.jpg
CGS_0214.jpg
CGS_0117.jpg
CRW_8117.jpg

Not seen but behind me is three racks of servers including a PDP-11/23+ and PDP-11/84.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 426 of 2204, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keeps the place warm in the winter at least. Onyx.png

Edited: Ah heck, I'll upload a pic of the racks since I don't seem to have a recent one.

CGS_0539.jpg

Last edited by CelGen on 2013-12-15, 23:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 427 of 2204, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:

Not seen but behind me is three racks of servers including a PDP-11/23+ and PDP-11/84.

Frigging awesome. Kudos!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 430 of 2204, by junkman8650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Posted Deleted!

Last edited by junkman8650 on 2013-12-28, 22:36. Edited 1 time in total.

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Reply 432 of 2204, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
junkman8650 wrote:
Greetings, long time lurker here, I really enjoy looking at peoples "computing area" so I thought I post up some my space. I hav […]
Show full quote

Greetings, long time lurker here, I really enjoy looking at peoples "computing area" so I thought I post up some my space. I have a small space so my collection is not as vast some of yours here.

P1010001 is my servers, Cisco Switch with Dell Poweredge 1950 2950 and 860. Mostly dual quad core 3.0ghz & 2.0ghz stuff with 4-8gb of RAM.

P1010002 is my desk that house's my home built PC with the network setup for the whole house. Main PC is a dual core 3.33ghz with 4gb dual boots Windows 7 and Linux Mint 16.

P1010003 is my single retro gaming system a Dell XPS R450 PII 450Mhz with Windows 98.

i havea thread here where i upgraded a Dell XPS R450 PII 450Mhz with ME, to a 1.4 GHZ Tualatin with Windows XP

Reply 433 of 2204, by Automat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rgart wrote:
My cave :) http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2582/2fqf.jpg […]
Show full quote

My cave 😀
2fqf.jpg

You're developing loudspeakers? On the middle screen, you're designing a cabinet?

Reply 434 of 2204, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

HOLY COW @ CelGen's space. Do you host stuff with those old servers or are they just for fun/hobby?

Eh, I was hosting various stuff like a website, mail, terminal services and games before I moved. Now that I'm back on Telus' ADSL service I'm essentially blocked from hosting anything at home.
Also, it's WAY easier to deal with when you have everything racks. I regret dumping two when I moved because a year later, I still have not found replacements...

Reply 435 of 2204, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It surprises me that nobody has asked yet... what does the 'launch' button do?

Reply 436 of 2204, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It surprises me that nobody has asked yet... what does the 'launch' button do?

It's for the ejection rocket seat that flies to his evil mastermind headquarters... of course. 🙄

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 437 of 2204, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am happy to say this is my first post on VOGONS. I have been following the plethora of great information on here for a while now and I appreciate all the intelligent and useful information that everyone provides. I especially like to see all the retro hardware that’s out there and how people put it together.

I’ve been working on my computing area setup for a while now trying to get it right. The challenge (on top of living in a small apartment) is trying to have all the things I want to control within reach. I have a lot of different systems and components that I am trying to integrate into my "computing area" so that I have an “all in one solution” without looking too disorganized and disjointed. The systems and components I hope to have in my computing area are:

- MY RETRO PC SYSTEMS
[DOS(older), DOS(newer), Win98se, Win95, Win 3.11]

- SOME OF MY GAMING CONSOLES
[Wii, PS2 (I have dozens of other older systems like intellivision, Atari 2600, commodore 64, etc. but because I have no space, those will stay in storage for now so I use my emulation computer for most retro gaming)]

- MY MODERN(ISH) COMPUTERS
[P4(WinXP) for all my game emulators- running Maximus Arcade frontend, Core2Duo(WinXP) for later WinXP gaming and my graphics/photo workstation and internet browsing, and Core2Duo(Win 7) for newer Windows gaming and newer software]

- MY SONY STEREO SYSTEM and 40” LCD TV
[complete with Digital Surround Receiver (switching XP and Win7 computers, hooked up via optical cable), BluRay player, DVD Player(DiVX), cassette deck, vcr(x2), 8-track player, Betamax player, Laserdisc player, 40” LCD TV with 15pin VGA input (hooked up to game emulation computer, cable, and XP and win7 computers with video switch)

- SCANNER, PRINTER, GRAPHICS TABLET
[Canon flatbed scanner, HP LaserJet, WACOM tablet]

- MY MIDI GEAR
[Roland MT-32 (x2), MT-300, CM32L, YAMAHA MU50]

IMG-20140104-00207.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140104-00207.jpg
File size
25.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG-20140104-00212.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140104-00212.jpg
File size
31.81 KiB
Views
File license

Here is a couple of low quality photo of my computing area for now (just have my mobile phone now - I will upload more high quality photos when I have time to take them with my wide angle lens on my pro digital SLR camera).

For now, I have most of my stereo system hooked up (all fully functional) and only 2 computer systems hooked up [Win7, Win XP].

My retro systems in the photo below are going to be stacked to the left of my semi-'custom' (thank you IKEA) made desk. I tried to have all the beige cases look as similar as possible. I think that if you’re going to use and have all your retro systems together in one place, it is important that they are all similar sizes and look similar (maybe it’s a little OCD, but I like the look of having similar cases when next to each other or stacked).

IMG-20140105-00219.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140105-00219.jpg
File size
24.78 KiB
Views
File license

To run all of this mess, I am currently using an Avocent 8 port KVM switch. I have tested this unit with 5pin to ps/2 adapters for the keyboard and it works great.

IMG-20140105-00215.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140105-00215.jpg
File size
29.37 KiB
Views
File license

Here is some of my software in a bookshelf near my “desk/entertainment unit”.

IMG-20140105-00214.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140105-00214.jpg
File size
111.24 KiB
Views
File license

I hope to post some images of some more of my retro gear in the appropriate thread ("retro rig photo thread - Retro Rig Photo Thread or “Bought these (retro) hardware today” thread - Bought these (retro) hardware today).

When I get some time to update my computing area, I will post new photos.

Reply 438 of 2204, by RetroDigitaldotNet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is where I do most website work / web browsing.
IMG_1617.JPG

This is where I do my retro gaming / retro OS testing/implementation. Have Windows for workgroups 3.11/Dos 6,22, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4 Server, Windows 2000 Server, Novell Netware 3.12. All networked together.
Oldest machine is a 486 DX4 100, Newest machine is PIII 850 (except for the Dell Poweredge server which is not old)

IMG_1133.JPG

Reply 439 of 2204, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

workspace01_zpsee3c7758.jpg
workspace03_zps0be56450.jpg
workspace02_zpsc15a6d7c.jpg

New to the board, figured I'd get going by posting my work/play area.

Pictured is my DAW machine (black Gateway), my retrogamer (Dell Optiplex GX200), and my second machine (custom Athlon MP box).

Not pictured is the "good" DAW (currently dead and awaiting a new motherboard), a machine I should probably use for retro games (Dell Dimension 8200), and another old Gateway that is typically an OpenBSD or NetBSD machine. This is pretty much the smallest rig I've ever run.