VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2980 of 52338, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The OAK chipset was pretty crippled since it only had 256kb RAM available and only had a 16-bit data path to the rest of the system. In the second generation of weitek chips Weitek used its own VGA core. They had access to the full 1MB, but I can't recall if they fared any better than the Oaks. I could have almost sworn some P9000 cards used Cirrus Logic instead of oak, but I can't find any examples at the moment. Maybe those were less crippled?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2981 of 52338, by Legacy_Micro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PeterLI wrote:
Artex wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I'm flush with Christmas cash right now, so maybe it will be my turn to buy an SCC-1, soon. I have to get one before the prices hit $500. 🤣

One went recently for $10 - clearly the seller didn't know what this was...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GS-Sound-Card- … -/181235001890/

Awesome! 😉

I'm the new owner of that card. When I saw it I couldn't hit the "BUY it Now" fast enough. Never thought I'd find that card at $10.oo. 😜
FYI... It does work perfect and sounds great....

Reply 2982 of 52338, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Legacy_Micro wrote:

I'm the new owner of that card. When I saw it I couldn't hit the "BUY it Now" fast enough. Never thought I'd find that card at $10.oo. 😜

Are these yours?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200996084633 & http://www.ebay.com/itm/190988217227

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2983 of 52338, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

But now I tested these two VLB graphics cards. Funny enough the ISA ET4000 beats the VLB card. The Trident card has memory missing. What chips would I need?

Somone did testing on VLB vs ISA for 486 and found that you didn't get a benefit from VLB until about the 486-DX33/40, I reckon if you try a DX2-66 the results may be different.

Reply 2984 of 52338, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a cheap PowerLeap PL586 with this CPU, it will go on one of the 6100 DOS compatibility cards I own:
pl586.jpg
And a Roland UM-1 USB/MIDI adapter, I found a BeOS driver for it while exploring the contents of my Edirol DV7-DL harddrive:
roland%20um-1.jpg

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2985 of 52338, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could have almost sworn some P9000 cards used Cirrus Logic instead of oak, but I can't find any examples at the moment. Maybe those were less crippled?

Yep, some did have a Cirrus VGA chip. And some of them (including some versions of the Diamond Viper, if I'm not badly mistaken) used a Weitek branded VGA core. Whether it was actually a Weitek design, or just something else re-labelled, I'm not sure.

Reply 2986 of 52338, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when referring to the diamond viper are you talking about the nvidia riva128?

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 2987 of 52338, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Legacy_Micro wrote:

Is this the same Legacy Micro who posts vids on YT?

Reply 2989 of 52338, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

of course I didn't win it. way too much for me 200 bucks including shiping ?
I only wanted the Quad for win95 diskette in there.

a1lr.jpg

is that a reasonable price ? because if it is so I better quit collecting stuff

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 2990 of 52338, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its just what people want to pay.. If you really want the card, theres nothing more than having money and a high bid.. And consider if its worth your money ect.
I think that people who wants the stuff for less or free, they dont get any chance no more.. Is really hard on hard now.. (collectors VS golddiggers VS amount VS metal scrapers)
For me, i really dont care.. The most stuff already bought in the past years.. And you really dont want to know how much i spend last years..
What i can tell from myself, i really want those systems running till i passed away.. So when i live i can enjoy my retro rig system.. Iam a really die-hard retro freak..
I only like IBM clones.. The rest i dont want, because of limited space here and less intrest in other retro kind computer like commodore.. (and why should i have more, iam happy of what i have reached so far..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2991 of 52338, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen this TB auction, what's so special about the daughterboard? (I assume that's why it went at that price?)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2992 of 52338, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I've seen this TB auction, what's so special about the daughterboard? (I assume that's why it went at that price?)

Not really, the Tahiti card beneath the daughter board is also something you see once a year or so, the Monterey combo was expensive and sold in small numbers, I used to have one back then and gave it away 🙁 kept all the manuals and stuff but the card. 😢
This was one of the last Montereys it included drivers and software for windows 95.
I think in the last few years prices have tenfolded, from useless obsolete to collectible 😒

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 2993 of 52338, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did an image search, it must have been a nice card for music production ... can't say if it has any "gaming" value though, I doubt it... still it's a nice cart if you are a collector I suppose...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2994 of 52338, by Legacy_Micro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Artex wrote:
Legacy_Micro wrote:

Are these yours?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200996084633 & http://www.ebay.com/itm/190988217227

Yeh... trying to get rid of some excess hardware I don't use anymore...

Reply 2995 of 52338, by Legacy_Micro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Legacy_Micro wrote:

I have a few videos, not many... Kinda more like 'my personal online video log`.

Reply 2996 of 52338, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Legacy_Micro wrote:
sliderider wrote:
Legacy_Micro wrote:

I have a few videos, not many... Kinda more like 'my personal online video log`.

I liked your nx586 videos. I have a few nx586 motherboards and CPU's myself. They aren't easy to find, but not all that hard either. I think the prices some people are asking for them are crazy.

Reply 2997 of 52338, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:
Not really, the Tahiti card beneath the daughter board is also something you see once a year or so, the Monterey combo was expen […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

Not really, the Tahiti card beneath the daughter board is also something you see once a year or so, the Monterey combo was expensive and sold in small numbers, I used to have one back then and gave it away 🙁 kept all the manuals and stuff but the card. 😢
This was one of the last Montereys it included drivers and software for windows 95.
I think in the last few years prices have tenfolded, from useless obsolete to collectible 😒

This is why I try to save for special things when I can and pass on the rest, this would have likely been one of those special things if I knew more about it. Never know whoever bought likely got it for resale which ends up sitting for years before anyone pays two or three times than it is worth. Still lusting for a Yamaha CS80 that I'll never afford 😢

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2998 of 52338, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
vmunix wrote:
Not really, the Tahiti card beneath the daughter board is also something you see once a year or so, the Monterey combo was expen […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

This is why I try to save for special things when I can and pass on the rest, this would have likely been one of those special things if I knew more about it. Never know whoever bought likely got it for resale which ends up sitting for years before anyone pays two or three times than it is worth. Still lusting for a Yamaha CS80 that I'll never afford 😢

This is why you need to hone your Google-Fu, so you know the rare and unusual stuff when you see it and it also helps if you track historical prices on rare parts so you don't overpay.

On topic, I managed to find a Diamond Monster Sound for $15 shipped. 😁

Reply 2999 of 52338, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this haul for free today:

2wncj8m.jpg
Got some memory sticks back from my dad.

outz52.jpg
I got my dad`s old harddisks, one socket 3 cooler, and an socket 7 cooler
Samsung floppy drive what i every bought to make the system
2GB of DDR3200 memory (two strokes of 1GB)
Got an nice ATX PSU with -5v line
Got an nice looking still usable AT PSU.
On the back there is an pentium 3 450Mhz processor slot 1.

2mrfzw1.jpg

System i got from an other person in question:

2qkqpu0.jpg

Its an Laser XT /8086 system, have 640KB ram, timeclock, just basic 720KB / 360KB drives i guess.. Does have an Seagate MFM controller with a NEC 25MB MFM drive and MD an color graphics card..
Dont know what iam going to do with this system, because the motherboard is proprietary one, so its not really easy to swap with one of my V20 NEC boards.. But ill try to find out if it would possible anything with this system, or just going to sell it..

op1j4l.jpg
The back..

34o530k.jpg

2ih8egz.jpg
Dont know whats in it.. But i hope tonight i will..

4uwidf.jpg
The back

28rz8z7.jpg
Also dont know whats in it, i guess maybe an AT pentium II motherboard..

352emuq.jpg
The back, comes with an DIN to PS2 adapter..

apa3k.jpg

I found an 5v socket 1 motherboard with intel DX2 66 mhz, VLB VGA, and found in this system an Amigo Ultra-sound compatible soundcard, without extra memory upgrade..

sepu0m.jpg

~ At least it can do black and white~