VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have recently rebuilt my 486 gaming system, due to the unfortunate tragic death a leaking CMOS battery had caused my previous motherboard, and everything's going great so far! Except, I've been considering putting one of my 3Com EtherLink 3C509B-TPO adapters in, but I just can't find drivers, or at least the right drivers online for these. Everything I've come up says Windows 95, 98, 2000, and even XP. I'm wanting drivers for MS-DOS and possibly Windows 3.1 (or 3.11).

I checked out the Vogons' driver data base, and came up empty handed for anything network related, but it was super nice for the GPU drivers! 😀

I've been curious about Descent's networking ability as well, between machines. 😀

Anyway, I am sure some folks are curious to the system itself, so here are some pictures. 😁

IMG_2469-800px.jpg
IMG_2470-800px.jpg
IMG_2475-800px.jpg
IMG_2477-800px.jpg

System Specifications:
AMD 486 DX4 at 100MHz
ELITEGROUP COMPUTER SYSTEMS, INC. UM8810P-AIO motherboard (Capable of 128MB of RAM, max!)
64MB DRAM + 256K Cache
S3 Trio64 86C764 PCI Graphics card. Not sure on VRAM amount.
3DFX Voodoo 2 3D Acceleration Card
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold with Add-On SIMMConn Memory Adapter expanding the audio RAM up to 28MB!
2GB Transcend Compact Flash Card in place of a Harddrive, using a Syba Compact Flash to IDE adapter, that mounts in the rear brackets.
Memorex 52x CD-ROM/CD-RW Optical Drive.
3.5″ 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive.
5.25″ 1.2MB Floppy Disk Drive.
MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 with all the appropriate drivers installed.

Reply 1 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go here. The file you need is 3C5X9X.EXE. That's got the WIN31 and DOS drivers, as well as the config utility.

Edit: Holy crap, I just noticed in the pictures... you're using an SX-1980 for computer sound? 🤣

Reply 2 of 4, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, awesome, thank you so very much for the link! I'll try it as soon as I get home!

Yep! Pioneer SX-1980, fully serviced! Here's an older picture of it when it was in my main sound system:
Image4-4.jpg

This isn't the only silver-faced beauty I own, either. 😁

-Edit-

Ah, the driver worked wonderfully! Thanks again!

Here I got the 3Com installed, above the AWE64 Gold, and since the card isn't wide, it fits and clears the SimmConn add-in memory module!
IMG_2488-800px.jpg

So to test 'er out, I fired up Descent to try out, networking from DOSBOX to the 486. 😁
IMG_2492-800px.jpg

Reply 4 of 4, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a VRM installed, but you can't see it well since it is hiding just under the 3.5" bay. Behind the 4 pin molex connector on the first picture above, in my original post.

Here's a picture of the board with the VRM installed, outside of the case. 😉

PCI-486%20board2-800pxw.jpg

If you'd like, I could pull the VRM and take a picture of, if you want to see the other side of it.