VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

As you probably know, this game doesn't work in Windows 2000 with 3D acceleration enabled.
However, it does work fine under Windows 95/98 (both with and without 3D acceleration).

You can play it under Windows 2000 if you choose Software rendering, but it looks very ugly (I mean, HORRIBLY UGLY!)

I thought that maybe the Application Compatibility Toolkit could help, but I've tried numerous combinations of fixes without any luck.

Do you know if there is any way to debug the game and find out why the heck does it crash under Windows 2000 ?

Any help will be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a million.
Best regards.

Reply 1 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the error message when it crashes? It should give you something, at least.

Perhaps it's a DLL version conflict. Run a dependency analysis utility on it to see what it's trying to connect with.

Stiletto

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suggest trying an old beta of 2.5 that works in W2KSP2, as suggested in this thread by DosFreak. (Hopefully SP3 will be released soon and you won't need to use an old beta...hopefully!)

I'm not sure where to get any of these old versions. You may wish to PM DosFreak and, perhaps, DosFreak, you could post a build of them here?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 25, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Stiletto,

I have run Microsoft Dependency Walker on the main executable (XWING95.EXE), and this is the output:

c:\program files\lucasarts\xwing95\XWING95.EXE
c:\winnt\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\DCIMAN32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\DDRAW.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\DINPUT.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\DSOUND.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\GDI32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\LZ32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\MSVCRT.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\NTDLL.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\OLE32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\USER32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\VERSION.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\WINMM.DLL

I wish X-Wing gave an error message when crashing, but it doesn't give any error message. Absolutely nothing.
The game simply closes and windows goes to the desktop without saying anything.

No Dr. Watson, no error message, no nothing!!

By the way, a few months ago I read in the official TotallyGames forum that someone was able to run X-Wing in Windows 2000 using a SDK version of DirectX 8. But later on he denied it.
I'm not sure if he was indeed able to run the game (I mean, to actually fly a mission) or he simply got to the main screen and thought that it worked.

The game appears to work correctly (you can see the intro, and the menus) but it crashes to the desktop in the very moment you are going to enter hyperspace to play the mission.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers.

Reply 4 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad News:
Read:
http://www.wxperience.web-unlimited.de/phpBB/ … =6099&forum=2&1

http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&t … 89c3f4a225737b3

http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=right&t … 6c8d4f912b34096

This doesn't mean that getting the 3D support is impossible - I think it's just a matter of configuration, replacing DLLs, etc. I'm not sure how to go about it. Well, it's only $10 at Babbage's, and I'm a Star Wars fan - I'll go buy it and come back with my report later.

I think what's interesting from Microsoft's Dependency Walker is that it's only using DirectDraw, and not Direct3D. 😀

Stiletto

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, just use the ACT 1.5. There's no difference as far as options to the user in fixing an application in higher versions. 1.5 works just fine...

Hmmm, I do not have this game (been looking forever but haven't bothered to scrounge around on-line 😉 )

Try moving the DX acceleration slider one notch at a time and trying the game.

Also try placing some of the DDRAW .dll's from DX7 into the game directory. Mabye the game doesn't like DX8?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a DX acceleration slider? Are you referring to Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Hardware acceleration, or is this something else (either in DXDIAG or the game itself)?

In any case, I think that putting the DX7 files into the game directory sounds like a good idea.

Let us know how it goes.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 25, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...it got worse 🙁

I've tried running this game with each one of the acceleration sliders (From complete to none) but X-WING didn't care at all. It crashed just the same way as always.

Then I copied all the DirectX files from the "DIRECTX" folder of the original CD-ROM to the game's folder in my hard drive (I know that's stupid, but I tried because I was curious), but the game complained about some entrypoint missing in KERNEL32.DLL.
Then I deleted the DDRAW.DLL file in the game's folder and I got a different error. I went on and deleted also the DSOUND.DLL file.

After that, I got the error "You need a joystick to play X-WING". So I run the Application Compatibiliy Toolkit 1.5 and checked the box "EmulateJoystick", but the game kept telling me that I needed a joystick. So I unchecked the "EmulateJoystick" box. And X-WING stubbornly complained again: "You need a joystick to play".

Then I thought I would never convince this obstinate game, so I uninstalled it with the uninstaller, and manually deleted its folders and all of its registry keys, and rebooted my computer.

After that, I reinstalled the game again from scratch, but that dreaded error message keeps appearing!!

Now I cannot play X-WING anymore, I'm unable to get rid of that annoying error, and I'm very frustrated because in the past I never got that error. I've seen it today for the first time and I'm afraid I will have to live with it for a long time 🙁

I don't want to reinstall my operating system in order to play this game. Do you have any clues what to do now, please?

Any help will be VERY MUCH appreciated.
Thanks a million.
Cheers.

Reply 8 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remove DINPUT.DLL from the game directory,

Also you only need to copy the DirectX .dll that the executable references.

In your case:

Hi Stiletto,

I have run Microsoft Dependency Walker on the main executable (XWING95.EXE), and this is the output:

c:\winnt\system32\DDRAW.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\DINPUT.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\DSOUND.DLL

Place one into the game dir and then try the game. Then the next..etc...etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was just playing with the Application Compatibility ToolKit 2.5 last night. I'm going to purchase X-Wing Collector's CD (Should be able to get it at Babbage's or Electronics Boutique for $10 or so) and try to see what I can do to make it work with that. If I can't, I'll sic' DosFreak on it. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 25, by Bateman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would be great to fix it, i have Xp and have bought it. Im thinking of doing a cheap win 98/dos old game playmachine but have very little space in my studentroom at the moment. Would really like it to work with 3d enhanced gfx. You guys rocks 😉

Reply 12 of 25, by Skanks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found after following the advice in the other thread with ddhelp.exe that it solved some problems. However I still couldn't enable 3D Hardware. I was pretty sure that the X-Wing Collector's series used the same engine as X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, and that worked no problem. I renamed XWING95.EXE to Z_XVT__.EXE and ran the game. I now have 3D hardware with no issues. I'm not sure why it works as using the Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0 I copied the exact fixes used and set it up on XWING95.EXE but that didn't work. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this could figure out why renaming the file fixes the no 3D hardware?

I also tried this with TIE Fighter 95. However when the file is renamed from TIE95.EXE to Z_XVT__.EXE it crashes on startup. I cannot get the file to run without enabling the mapmemoryb000 fix, and by doing that I suddenly lose acces to 3D Hardware in X-Wing 95. So at the moment I have X-Wing running as "X-Wing vs TIE Fighter" and have TIE Fighter as default. With only the memory fix enabled on it. I would love for someone to be able to get it so TIE Fighter 95 works with 3D, or make it so I don't have to rename the X-Wing executable.

Hope this helps.

Reply 13 of 25, by jkatz01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thats one strange fix, renaming the .exe file, BUT it worked for me too!
The DDhelp.exe fix mentioned in the other thread did NOT work for me at all. NOW, if we can figure out how to get Tie fighter 95 to work with 3d accelareation. Let me know if you get it to work! J. Katz

Reply 16 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a copy of the Windows versions of X-Wing laying around and decided to finally give it a try. Had to use the patch mentioned in this thread to get hardware acceleration in X-Wing. Now my main problem is that the engine sound of my spacecraft drowns out other game sounds and music - anyone else have this problem?

I'm using Windows XP.

Reply 17 of 25, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

make sure your audio configuration in windows is set to the same level for every thing (cd audio, wave....)

In xwing you can only set the volume level for sound and music, you cannot to engine and i guess to speech (haven't checked speech). So just set Sound and Music to max and it will be the same level as engine sound (which is always set to max). You can also turn off engine sound at all (but it is usefull as it tells you about your speed).

Reply 18 of 25, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great patch. I've been able to see the 3D hardware accelerated textures! At long last!

However, I still think that the Windows version of X-Wing (and of Tie Fighter also) is stupid.

The AudioCD music is the dumbest thing on earth. It's completely out of sync with the action. It ruins the game 🙁

Is there any way to play the MIDI music in the Windows versions? Could a patch be made to achieve that?

Perhaps the MIDI tracks are still there, just disabled. Is there hope? A new hope?

Kind regards.

Reply 19 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would sure be nice. Now that I have some real MIDI synths, it's just not worth it to run the Windows version of even X-Wing as opposed to running the DOS version in DOSBox.