VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had my Packard Bell 300SX for some time now, and it's a very clean system, especially when I got it. However I want to replace the CMOS battery before it decides to leak, and the negative side of the battery itself looks like it's starting to show possible signs, but there isn't anything on the motherboard yet. The battery DOES hold charge. Plus I am not sure if there is even an external battery header on here.

So could I solder wire in to replace the battery, to run to an external pack containing rechargeable double A batteries or find a good source for replacement batteries like this, but go ahead and route it to an alternate location?

Also, does anyone know how I can access the BIOS settings on these things? I'd like to write down the settings before I change out the battery.

This system has a Sound Blaster 1.5 (I added the CMS chips) and additional RAM modules. They arn't pictured in these older photos, these were when I first got the system, but I can take new pictures when I get home tonight, and even a close up of the battery if anyone's curious.

Dsc00547.jpg
Dsc00548.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On one of my 386 boards I de-soldered the battery and looked for a replacement. It won't be hard to find one 😀

Google is your friend and then you just solder in the replacement and you are set for another 10-15 years 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Plus I am not sure if there is even an external battery header on here.

Looks to me like it's right there between the battery and the mounting screw.

As for getting into setup, on those old Phoenix BIOSes it's usually one of the following: Ctrl+Alt+S, Ctrl+Alt+Ins, Ctrl+Alt+X, or Ctrl+Alt+Esc

Reply 3 of 3, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

On one of my 386 boards I de-soldered the battery and looked for a replacement. It won't be hard to find one 😀

Google is your friend and then you just solder in the replacement and you are set for another 10-15 years 😀

Well it's not really sourcing a good battery being a problem, I was also curious about possibility of rechargeable double A batteries. 😀

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Plus I am not sure if there is even an external battery header on here.

Looks to me like it's right there between the battery and the mounting screw.

As for getting into setup, on those old Phoenix BIOSes it's usually one of the following: Ctrl+Alt+S, Ctrl+Alt+Ins, Ctrl+Alt+X, or Ctrl+Alt+Esc

Hmm, maybe, I haven't really paid much attention apart from just making sure there wasn't any actual leakage. 🤣 I'll check it closely again, I wouldn't mind going the route of external battery just to help protect the board from any battery acid. I really like this system.

Okay, I'll give those commands a try, since I need to at least write down the information on the harddrive. I don't think these had auto detect. Thanks!