VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3100 of 52350, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It wasn't anywhere near cheap. It's now the most expensive soundcard I own. Second is LAPC-I.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3101 of 52350, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

It wasn't anywhere near cheap. It's now the most expensive soundcard I own. Second is LAPC-I.

HEheh. The auctions I've seen for both have skyrocketed... unreal!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3102 of 52350, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make some OPL2 recordings! 🤣
Especially with NOTE tracker since dual OPL2 makes it stereo and program would run in MONO because of OPL2. Would love to hear the result.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3103 of 52350, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More goodies for my man cave 🤣

Can't have enough of these lying around...

nroxvBol.jpg

Some HDMI / DVI 4-5 metre cables for capturing (Had to move the tower for a while). Local shop wanted $60 for one, eBay I got two for $20 😜

AAtq8CNl.jpg

Because they are cheap and you never know...

SAb3RA1l.jpg

Also cheap. The seller is from Australia and had a ton of CPUs for sale. Got a few bids today 😀

PmeI0IOl.jpg

Also can come in handy one day. I got a ton of Coppermine PIII chips to benchmark and add to the database. I hope they do what I want.

iQzzIe4l.jpg

LBfU6oUl.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3104 of 52350, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:
MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum: http://geryon.ru/650-0002_preview.jpg […]
Show full quote

MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum:
650-0002_preview.jpg

MediaVision Pro Audio Studio 16 LMSI:
650-0082_preview.jpg

MediaVision Pro Audio Studio XL:
650-0097_preview.jpg

Impressive haul of pas cards! If youve had a chance to test these...Which one of these has the best mpu-401 connection? All are UART right?

Reply 3105 of 52350, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Especially with NOTE tracker since dual OPL2 makes it stereo and program would run in MONO because of OPL2. Would love to hear the result.

I thought that Cloudschatze and schlang already did lots of recordings from PAS. Do you have something particular in mind?

Where do I find that NOTE tracker?

retrofanatic wrote:

Impressive haul of pas cards! If youve had a chance to test these...Which one of these has the best mpu-401 connection? All are UART right?

I have not yet tested the original PAS, but two others have MPU-401 ports (such devices appear in Win98SE device manager). PAS XL also has a daughterboard header.

I have no external synths and no daughterboards. However, I have a LAPC-I with MCB-1 and thus can perform some tests using it as an external synth. What exactly do you want to test?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3106 of 52350, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:
Stojke wrote:

I thought that Cloudschatze and schlang already did lots of recordings from PAS. Do you have something particular in mind?

Where do I find that NOTE tracker?

I have something particular in mind, yeah.
I want to hear how would the card perform while recording from Note Tracker OPL2 mode with its two OPL2 chips.
You can find the program thread in my signature (below the image).

If you could make some recordings of more demanding songs that would be awesome.
Also do check out the program any way its great, and it has a lot of amazing songs 😀

Reply 3107 of 52350, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Also can come in handy one day. I got a ton of Coppermine PIII chips to benchmark and add to the database. I hope they do what I […]
Show full quote

Also can come in handy one day. I got a ton of Coppermine PIII chips to benchmark and add to the database. I hope they do what I want.

iQzzIe4l.jpg

where did you get that? I can't find a cheap one! 😒

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 3110 of 52350, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guillemot MaxiSound 64 (Home Studio Pro)
ISA_Guillemot_maxisound_64_f.JPG.

Guillemot_maxisound_64_box1.JPG. Guillemot_maxisound_64_box2.JPG.
ISA_Guillemot_maxisound_64_r.JPG. ISA_Guillemot_maxisound_64_s.jpg.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3113 of 52350, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up this monstrous ATX server case recently because it was cheap, I have a penchant for new old stock, and I wanted to harvest it's PSU:

Wheels!
IMG_4871_zps83d93c1c.jpg

Super Power!
IMG_4873_zps1c717855.jpg

Drive bays!
IMG_4884_zpsd5b3886b.jpg

IMG_4876_zps6121c217.jpg

You could swing a cat inside this thing:
IMG_4880_zps03e30334.jpg

IMG_4888_zpsb7e3f017.jpg

With regard to the PSU, why does it have one half of an AT motherboard power connector? I've seen a couple of these lately, but why just one half?

And I also picked up this case, which came housing a very boring P4 based celeron system. Despite it's terrible internals someone loved this thing; the whole thing looked brand new. It was only 10 bucks so I grabbed it - the nice Sony drives are worth more than that alone, and these early ATX cases are getting harder to find in decent condition around here:

IMG_4891_zpsfad61838.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3114 of 52350, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up this monstrous ATX server case recently because it was cheap, I have a penchant for new old stock, and I wanted to harvest it's PSU:

Oh Jesus... that brings back memories. Not really any good ones though. 🤣
The one I had must have been a slightly newer version. It was a grey/silver color, with some extra fan holes in the side and top, but otherwise the same. Even 12 years later I still have a plainly visible scar on my knuckle from the damned thing.

And picking it up for the PSU was probably not really the best idea. Those Codegens had a nasty reputation for blowing up. I'm talking actual flames and smoke shooting out the back. Mine lasted about 20 minutes, IIRC. And that was when they were new... time has probably not been kind to the shitty capacitors.

To answer the question about that AT-style power connector, that was a fairly short-lived standard to give extra 3.3V and 5V current capacity. It was primarily used in RDRAM-based sytems, which tended to suck down quite a bit of power on the 3.3V line.

The second case is a nice find though. The old Aopen KF45. Those and the Enlight 7237 were pretty much the main go-to cases for a Coppermine gaming build.

Reply 3115 of 52350, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

And picking it up for the PSU was probably not really the best idea. Those Codegens had a nasty reputation for blowing up. I'm talking actual flames and smoke shooting out the back. Mine lasted about 20 minutes, IIRC. And that was when they were new... time has probably not been kind to the shitty capacitors.

To answer the question about that AT-style power connector, that was a fairly short-lived standard to give extra 3.3V and 5V current capacity. It was primarily used in RDRAM-based sytems, which tended to suck down quite a bit of power on the 3.3V line.

Flames you say? That could be bad for me, I'll bin it.

And thanks for the info on the AT-style power connector, I've come across a few lately and was wondering.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3116 of 52350, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also that Auxiliary connector was also used in Pentium boards and Server boards for additional power. The reason why i cant test my dual Athlon MP motherboard i bought for Voodoo 5 5500.
Normal companies like Tyan added an Molex IN instead of/alongside Aux.

Reply 3117 of 52350, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roland SCB-7
DB_Roland_SCB-7_f.JPG.

Bundle with Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2230.
ISA_Cerative_SoundBlaster_16_CT2230_f.JPG.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 3119 of 52350, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

That is all really cool stuff! :) I wish I had the time / space for all that. I only get to spend an hour during weekday evenings and a few hours on weekends to do retro / vintage / classic stuff.

Now I have a little son, who is less than 1 year, so usually less than an hour every day that I can spend on the old hardware. :)