VOGONS

First post, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just like the title says; are there 640 x 480 native LCD's for use with Retro games?

I dare not ask if there are 320 x 240 native LCD's.

Reply 1 of 7, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In ATi Catalyst Control Center I can set whether my monitor needs to stretch to full-screen, keep the aspect ratio or only use the pixels needed.

If I am not mistaking, I believe there are monitors which have those options built in themselves. You just push buttons and it switches between those modes.

If that's not something you like, try the Sony LMD-1410SC. It seems to be a native 640x480 lcd.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 4 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 640x480 LCD screen would be so old that it would have a high response time.

They do make new ones, but they're all either really small or really expensive. Often both. Also, most of the small ones only have composite input, no VGA, since they're designed for use in things like car backup cameras and whatnot.

Reply 6 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on when the screen was made. 640x480 LCD has been around for a while in laptops and when laptops went to higher resolution they moved into portable video devices and handheld units.

I have one of these:

http://www.currentdirections.com/hardware/intermec/6622.html

Its 640x480 TFT and looks decent, 486/133, normal laptop HD, 32MB RAM and built in sound (mono speaker). Use it mostly for solitaire before bed and the batteries still last a long time. Made long after you would find a 640x480 LCD in a laptop.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 7, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sync Master 720N were pretty popular 4:3 LCD screens. But they seem to perform poorly in windows 3.11, especially with Matrox Ultima.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"