VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

@the GreatCodeholio, seems your whole coding is useless anyway, at least according to Sedryn 😉

Your words, not mine. There's more of that "people seeing what they want to see" stuff you presciently referred to earlier.

TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

It won't be a Windows world for long, if Microsoft continues along the Windows 8 path and fucks up Windows 9 😀

I have to agree with you there. Windows 8 is a complete disaster and I'm sure is in no small part responsible for Steve Ballmer's premature retirement.

It's clear to me that there's passionate opinions on this topic. Dominus seems to really have an ax to grind on this one to the point where he continues to infer opinions about my position that don't exist anywhere outside his own psyche. No point in continuing any debate against imagined ideas, especially when they're only tenuously related to the original point, so I'll leave the discussion with this and let everyone with an opinion take away from it whatever they will:

http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

TheGreatCodeholio, thanks again for all your efforts on DOSBox-X.

Reply 21 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
SedrynTyros wrote:
Dominus wrote:

@the GreatCodeholio, seems your whole coding is useless anyway, at least according to Sedryn 😉

Your words, not mine. There's more of that "people seeing what they want to see" stuff you presciently referred to earlier.

still hard to negate your own words, right?

SedrynTyros wrote:

What I said is true, though. Most people use Windows so in my opinion there's not much point in putting out cross-platform development software that can't be tested on the most widely used platform on the planet.

Just to make sure I asked again but your opinion was the same...

SedrynTyros wrote:
Dominus wrote:

You really seem to believe that the development of Dosbox-x makes no sense without a supplied Windows build.

Yes I do, because it doesn't.

qed

SedrynTyros wrote:

so I'll leave the discussion with this and let everyone with an opinion take away from it whatever they will:

http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

So you want to weigh that many people of a project (see http://www.scummvm.org/credits/) against one person? suuuuuurrrrreeee

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 32, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SedrynTyros wrote:

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob/master/AUTHORS

ScummVM has a dedicated maintainer for each port, and dozens of developers (possibly ~100, I didn't count... The authors file is 700+ lines long).

If you want to test the X branch, you can download VirtualBox (which is free), a Linux ISO (Ubuntu is user friendly), and install the latter in the former (a matter of minutes on modern hardware).

The X branch is experimental, and TheGreatCodeholio is not looking for a wide audience at the moment. I understand it is frustrating for you not to have a native Windows build, but he's the one who chooses how to best spend his free time. I'm sure he's aware of the OS usage statistics, BTW. I believe that a large number (probably the majority) of the people who use non-Android Linux are developers, and it gives him a pool of testers large enough for his purposes.

Reply 23 of 32, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zorbid wrote:

I understand it is frustrating for you not to have a native Windows build, but he's the one who chooses how to best spend his free time.

Ya know, you make an excellent point, but I'm afraid it's not entirely relevant to the Pros and Cons topic. When Dominus has it moved to a new thread, we could discuss it further though.

Reply 24 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nag nag pathetic
Didn't you want to leave this? Man of your word...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You know Sedryn, if you really don't think that the Dosbox-x project is useless, contrary to what you wrote, why don't you show your appreciation by setting up a build environment and supplying the much needed Windows binaries? That would help everybody

Reply 26 of 32, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

You know Sedryn, if you really don't think that the Dosbox-x project is useless, contrary to what you wrote, why don't you show your appreciation by setting up a build environment and supplying the much needed Windows binaries? That would help everybody

Now that's definitely in the wrong thread!

Reply 27 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nah, it's the right one. The one you can't help but reply to. Man of your word...

Reply 28 of 32, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Nah, it's the right one. The one you can't help but reply to. Man of your word...

But what about the rules? Staying on topic and all that? I really do think we're going to need a separate thread for each of these points if we want to explore them further.

Reply 29 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Which rules? Did the op of this thread pr a moderator ask to keep it clean?

Reply 31 of 32, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

I have considered that. Thing is, emcur.com has spoiled me when it comes to these things. I think it was the first time I tried to toy with code compiling that I came across that site. Having the Windows builds of development emulators on hand allows me to focus on the parts of emulation I enjoy most; setting up old games and environments and what not. But I appreciate the "put your money where your mouth is" view point. It would probably be a worthwhile investment to learn the ins and outs of how compiling code works. In the past, it hasn't held my interest long enough for me to get it all figured out, but I'm willing to give it another go ... time permitting, anyway.

Reply 32 of 32, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TheGreatCodeholio graciously compiled a Win32 binary of DOSBox-x for anyone who might be interested in testing the most recent build. Hopefully anyone who felt that it was reprehensible for me and others to ask for it can commence getting over their butthurt.

Cheers! 😀