VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3261 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@peterli does that midi card come with a cable? if so, can you ring it out for me? mine never came with one and I havent been able to find a pinout that I would trust.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3263 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

basically, you use a volt-meter set to resistance ( Ω ) and literally test every wire to see which ones make a connection. Takes just a few minutes, typically requires 3 hands though. 😜 When you get it in, let me know and I can be more detailed.

Reply 3264 of 52357, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More toys to play with, but will get packed away, no time in the near future...

nvgkKr6l.jpg?1

cseOIK1l.jpg

7GT19vNl.jpg

k4w2jiWl.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3266 of 52357, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if this qualifies as retro, but it's 5 years old. I got this baby for free today since they were "tossing" away old laptops at my work. Most of them were older 2003-2005 machines, but this one stood out from the crowd. I knew that Thinkpads are professional expensive laptops, so I asked if I could take it. Nobody would notice was the reply I got. I didn't know what I had until I got home and did some research:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61p
Lenovo_T61p_26053a.jpg

Extremely nice build quality, Intel Core2 Duo T7500 15.4 1920x1200 resolution, 1x2GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 570M 256MB. I found out the new price were 3000 dollars in 2008. I'll put in an 120GB SSD drive I have laying around and upgrade the memory to 4GB and replace my current laptop with it. That resolution will be so worth it!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3268 of 52357, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great laptop!
I love x-series, but x230 is the last "classic, professional" x-laptop. In new x240 lenovo make so many changes, that make no more sence to buy it.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3270 of 52357, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the laptop I use every day! If you throw a SSD in there, make sure you update the BIOS to enable SATA II.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/459591 … tml#post6501443

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3271 of 52357, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

If anyone ever wants to buy a refurbished Lenovo / Dell / Apple with a discount send me a PM. I can give a coupon code for a cool site.

What does refurbished mean applied to computers and parts? In Russia, there is no such phenomenon (to the best of my knowledge), gear is either sold new or used. I only see 'refurbished' at foreign sites.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3272 of 52357, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

What does refurbished mean applied to computers and parts? In Russia, there is no such phenomenon (to the best of my knowledge), gear is either sold new or used. I only see 'refurbished' at foreign sites.

It's basically to mean that it is used, but all of the parts that were either not functional, or had been through a lot of wear had been replaced.

Reply 3273 of 52357, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

That's the laptop I use every day! If you throw a SSD in there, make sure you update the BIOS to enable SATA II.

Nice one!

How do you find the laptop in everyday use? I'm just planning on having it as a backup at home for work and web browsing as the high resolution will make everything much smoother.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3276 of 52357, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Artex wrote:

Nice one!

How do you find the laptop in everyday use? I'm just planning on having it as a backup at home for work and web browsing as the high resolution will make everything much smoother.

Just fine! I'm sitting on my couch in front of the TV with it on my lap right now. I bought an extended-life battery, upgraded to a SSD and threw some more memory in here. It works great for anything non-gaming related. I picked this thing up for free back in 2009 since my company was using it as an eval but decided to go with a different vendor. I found that SATA whitelist BIOS and never looked back.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3277 of 52357, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Refurbished means pre-owned (usually former lease operated by organizations), tested, parts replaced (when applicable), new OS image and (limited) warranty.

Sort of in analogy of certified pre-owned vehicles. 😉

Or in the case of 'refurbished' OCZ SSDs.. absolute crap.

😀

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3279 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Or in the case of 'refurbished' OCZ SSDs.. absolute crap.

In other words, every bit as good as brand new OCZ SSDs. 🤣

94941-monkey-sigh-rimshot-gif-drums-K5UJ.gif