VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As crazy as it sounds,i actually need vdmsound on windows 98,since my sound card has troubles with some dos games(either if they're run in windows or pure dos).i searched around here and i found an alpha version by Chris chua,i managed to install it fine on windows,98 but it just doesn't work,all games basically cannot recognize any sound card with this vdmsound enabled.so i was wondering it there are any alternatives to it?

Reply 1 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For Windows 9x, no. Uhm, well, DOSBox 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Windows NT4/2000/XP the only other alternative to VDMSound was something called SoundFX 2000
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/products/soundfx.htm
It did not receive a Windows 98 port, although the source was released after a while.

Sorry, man.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your computer is too slow for DOSBox, then there's obviously a more native solution for DOS game sound available in the form of an ISA sound card......unless it's one of those early Intel PCI-only boards from the P3 era.

Even a laptop that's too slow for DOSBox would usually have something at least WSS-compatible or SB compatible.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 12, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Either get a better sound card or use dosbox on a modern pc.

for whose who may concern,unfortunately i'm unemployed at the moment, i had to sell my quad core for money,and all i have to pass some time while looking for job is that old relic there.beside,wasn't this a forum about old games\system?suggesting for the nth time to use a modern pc or dosbox is a kind of contraddiction,isn't it?

unless it's one of those early Intel PCI-only boards from the P3 era.

its not,fortunately

would usually have something at least WSS-compatible or SB compatible.

hmmm such as?

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Actually this forum is described as "getting old Windows games working", we actually have no forum on Vogons about getting old games working on old systems 😉

If you don't have a modern system make your old system more compatible or post in Marvin to solve your hardware problem.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very Old Games on New Systems

but I did suggest geting a sound card that works for your current system.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 12, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Very Old Games on New Systems

but I did suggest geting a sound card that works for your current system.

how expensive are genuine sound blaster 16 nowadays?

or post in Marvin to solve your hardware problem.

what\who is marvin? 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's a forum here on Vogons...

As for how much a SB 16 costs, why don't you check your ebay or whatever other means you have to get one...

Reply 11 of 12, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

It's a forum here on Vogons...

As for how much a SB 16 costs, why don't you check your ebay or whatever other means you have to get one...

i know where to look for,problem is that i don't know how much its real value would be nowadays..keep in mind i checked all the second hand pc markets here in my city in Italy,and they're just of their freaking mind,selling an awe 32 for 35\ 50 euros,same goes to ebay.so i wanted to know if that's how much it values today,or he's just a scammer

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If someone sells this stuff for that money he's not a scammer. A scammer takes your money and doesn't give you the thing you bought 😉
The real value of things like that is driven by demand and supply or what people will pay. For me those cards have no value as I wouldn't take them as a gift 😉
Look for all kinds of soundblasters as long as they are ISA.