AdLib has become oh so rare!!!

Topic actions

Reply 42 of 69, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

You may want to buy a Tandy Sensation as well to complete your AdLib sound card collection. The on board sound on the Tandy Sensation is somewhat similar. 😀

I doubt it. I have seen Tandy Sensation MIDI driver from Miles AIL 2.0 (SENSAT.ADV), and it's an exact copy of Windows Sound System driver (WSS.ADV). WSS is, in its turn, based on OPL3, not OPL2 like Adlib.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 43 of 69, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Peter is most likely referring to the fact that the model 1 Tandy Sensation includes the same Yamaha MMA/OPL3 chipset found on the Ad Lib Gold card, and is therefore compatible with software offering support for the "Gold Sound Standard." It's not exactly a replacement for an Ad Lib Gold, but, along with cards like Cardinal's "SOUNDvision," makes for a reasonably close alternative.

Also, just to clear up something mentioned earlier in the thread, the Ad Lib Gold was not manufactured by Yamaha. Now, the IBM Music Feature Card, on the other hand...

Reply 45 of 69, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can only assume this is an Adlib clone from the early 90s... These came in a white square box with a yellow mascot on it, and it was called "Baby Boomer". I never ended up selling any and gave most of them away to be scrapped. I kept one card (without the box) for a keepsake:

bb1.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    bb1.jpg
    File size
    105.07 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 46 of 69, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Are people holding on to their AdLib cards? Or are they more rare than one would imagine?

AdLib's are in people's old computers and people don't have a clue about what an AdLib card is

Reply 47 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
butterfly wrote:

AdLib's are in people's old computers and people don't have a clue about what an AdLib card is

I believe that around North America there should be still a considerable amount of AdLib cards inside computers stored in dusty garages, storage rooms and people like you said have no idea what is is or don't care or are to lazy to get rid of their stuff. Some might be hoarders, that hold on to tons of stuff.

Reply 48 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Also, just to clear up something mentioned earlier in the thread, the Ad Lib Gold was not manufactured by Yamaha. Now, the IBM Music Feature Card, on the other hand...

Maybe i got it mixed up, i thought at least that the AdLib Gold was not desingned by AdLib but by Yamaha, or something like that. I stand corrected.

Reply 49 of 69, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
butterfly wrote:

I believe that around North America there should be still a considerable amount of AdLib cards inside computers stored in dusty garages, storage rooms and people like you said have no idea what is is or don't care or are to lazy to get rid of their stuff. Some might be hoarders, that hold on to tons of stuff.

Nope, scrappers have recycled most of them by now when gold prices spiked a few years ago.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 50 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Nope, scrappers have recycled most of them by now when gold prices spiked a few years ago.

When i say considerable amount i mean probably less than 200 cards, thousands are likely to have been scrapped already for gold recovery like you say. But i believe every American state should have an average of 3 cards still inside old computers stored around houses and garages. And there are cards that probably sold much less than the AdLib, have more gold and yet are easier to find these days.

Complete boxed AdLib cards are probably very rare by now. If in the next 2 years or so a boxed AdLib shows up on Ebay is a miracle.

Reply 51 of 69, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Canada is probably the best place to look. Adlib was based on Quebec.

I have personally seen piles of Adlib cards in various locations, sometimes in people's basements. This was many years ago, but I doubt they've all been scrapped.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 52 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My good friend keropi was able to find one locally in Greece, so huge thanks to him:

fea7a7a6-2e4b-4b66-a4cf-ad2ad8ef1c20_zpse0061aa5.jpg?t=1393430021

But the search for a boxed one continues, preferably a 1990 version. 😎

Reply 57 of 69, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the cap was a normal blue one, this one just heated up and turned red because of the speeeedddzzzooorrsssss

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 59 of 69, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both my Adlibs (1987 and 1990) are blue.
Probably just a different stock of caps used at the factory. I'm sure the different coloured caps still work the same 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.