VOGONS

First post, by ecuador

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In a moment of nostalgia, I tried out NBA Live 95 and 97 on my Mountain Lion Mac Pro using DOSBox 0.74. Live 95 plays fine, but live 97 does not - the palette is messed up, in both window and fullscreen mode. I tried every option for "output", such as overlay, opengl etc, even tried changing machine=svga_s3 to things like vesa_nolfb to no avail.
I actually tried launching the same NBA Live 97 installation from DOSBox for windows on the same Mac from within a Fusion VM and the colors come out fine. So it is only a DOSBox Mac problem. Any ideas? I am attaching a screenshot with the yellow/green pallette.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, unfortunately a known bug in high color modes 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by ecuador

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Googling around I only saw mentions of color problems in fullscreen, while I have the same problem in window mode as well - does my description fit the bug you are talking about?
If so, I shouldn't hold my breath about it being fixed, should I? 😉

Edit: Agh, I found your post from 2010! I guess I should forget about DOSBox on OS X!

Dominus wrote:

btw. just thought of it, are you on OS X? Then forget it. Right now there is a bug that prevents correct colors in very high color depths in Dosbox on OS X 🙁

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, most games are fine, maybe a wrong colored movie scene. Along with GTA it seems that these two are bad ;(

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Has any attempt been made to debug it on the mac platform? Looking at the screenshot, it appears red and green are swapped, blue is absent or strongly attenuated. I suppose that could happen when ARGB has reversed byte order (BGRA)... and endianness is, of course, the most likely suspect.

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There was some small effort. Will need to look it up. But it's really annoying and only with high color modes (I made some Windows 3.x screenshots a while ago and had posted them in the development forum)

Reply 6 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe you're referring to this thread: GTA colours display incorrectly in fullscreen

What is the issue's current status? I gather the wrong colors are associated with 15, 16, and 32 bit color modes, but there seems to be some uncertainty about fullscreen or windowed. Then there's the latest version of SDL 1.2 that allegedly fixes the problem, or maybe not...

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's just another symptom but there was more discussion. I need to find time to search. There is/was also a patch on the sourceforge tracker (either in bugs or patches).

Reply 8 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

found it 😀
many more details at https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/347/